Mafia 2 (Multiplatform)

how does this run on ps3?

Screen tearing is very noticeable, however, I got used to it very fast, so it did not bother me at all. I heard bad things about the fps, but I did not notice any drop except once in the free DLC Betrayal of Jimmy. Maybe I am just too tolerant...

As far as the visuals go: They are pretty good and during sunny days IMO amazing. Very detailed city and impressive lightning. However, once again the PS3 is the most inferior version. Like almost any console game running just at 720p, but this was to be expected. What I cannot understand, however, is the lack of "real" grass, whereas the technically inferior xbox can handle it. Also there are no clothing animations whatsoever, which most of the time is not an issue, however the coat is glued to your legs, which looks ridiculous.

The game itself is great, but is not nearly as "perfect" as Mafia 1. The driving is awesome (simulation mode rocks!), but the car chases are unchallenging and boring. The shooting mechanisms work well and the destructible environments are nice, however the mission design, hmm... There is nothing special, really, except one level. In Mafia 1 you had such a great variety in mission designs and this seems absent. It is as if they lost all their creativity! E.g. the last level takes place SPOILER: in the planetarium, so basically a shorter and not as pretty museum from Mafia 1.

There are some indoor mission environments which are quite cool, but they are generally so short that I almost forgot that mafia 2 had any missions not taking place in a warehouse/factory.

Also, there are no adventure elements at all, you never have to think about anything, except where the best cover is. I know that mafia 1 did not have many as well and that most of you don't want them in action games, however, I like them.

The story: Many praise it and it has some great moments. It is better than in most games, but it has also some serious flaws. First of all, all the characters are most of the time just dumb criminals without any conscience. It gets better a bit as the story progresses, but sill, I cannot feel any sympathy except for one person. I know, mafia 1 was the romantic version and this was supposed to be the "cruel reality", however, I want romance! :D And I have serious problems that there are almost no moral issues for the protagonists. They murdering constantly people without thinking.

Maybe you are now saying, hey that is how those guys supposed to work or that every videogame does it. However, this neither good nor has to be the case. In mafia 1 you could justify every action of tommy some way or another and those which you could not were presented as serious moral problems.

The ending is terrible as well. It is a typical "We are so optimistic that our game will make enough money to make a sequel that we decided to make an open end so that you buy the sequel" end. If it is not supposed to be an open end, then it sucks, since I do not want
to speculate how the story ends, even though some say it is quite clear what happened.

Conclusion: My review seems quite negative, however, I really do feel like this is a great game and one of my favorites. The problem is just that Mafia 1 was perfect and Mafia 2 does some things worse and nothing substantial better.

Grrr, you cannot edit your posts here? Well, then you have to live with my mistakes :p

Short Betrayal of Jimmy opinion: It is free roam based and you can choose between 3 missions. Yes, three! Of course there are more, but they are always work the same:

1. Shoot some guys: Drive to point A and kill some guys (the only variance I remember is that you had to protect someone)
2. Destroy something: There are things in the city you have to destroy. Of course there also some people who don't like that you are destroying their stuff.
3. Steal a car: Sometimes without guards, sometimes with.

They kept me entertained for some hours, but the sad truth is that anybody could have come up with those missions in 1 minute.

About the story:
1) Its amazing to see how a person working for a government can be a made man as well.
2) Its even more amazing to see how the game thinks that a wiseguy or a Consigliere is an insignificant person.

Overall the story isn't very good, its just your average video game story set in a memorable era.

One story criticism I forgot: You never feel like part of the mafia, just doing jobs someone tells you to do. It feels like there are million characters which all change all the time which leaves you confused for whom you actually work. You also do not see the don a lot.

So whereas in mafia 1 you feel like part of a family (you instantly feel like making friends with paul and sam, having a powerful don to protect you and the wise frank which helps you out and so on) and in mafia 2 you only have an idiot (joe) on your side whose only job is to get you in trouble.

About the story:
1) Its amazing to see how a person working for a government can be a made man as well.
2) Its even more amazing to see how the game thinks that a wiseguy or a Consigliere is an insignificant person.

Overall the story isn't very good, its just your average video game story set in a memorable era.
For the first thing, isn't that what happened in Goodfellas? And I'm pretty sure that was based on actual gangsters.

The second criticism doesn't really make sense.
Leo Galante for example is obviously an important guy in prison and later when Henry gets sent to kill him, that's just as a preemptive tactic before a full-blown gang war blows out so that the Vinci family will be weakened. The Falcone's are really desperate at that point.

Back