Machine Learning: WinML/DirectML, CoreML & all things ML

Free on epic games store
while True: learn()
a puzzle/simulation game about even more puzzling stuff: machine learning, neural networks, big data and AI. But most importantly, it’s about understanding your cat.

Instant Neural Graphics Primitives with a Multiresolution Hash Encoding (nvlabs.github.io)
February 19, 2022
We demonstrate near-instant training of neural graphics primitives on a single GPU for multiple tasks.
Neural graphics primitives, parameterized by fully connected neural networks, can be costly to train and evaluate. We reduce this cost with a versatile new input encoding that permits the use of a smaller network without sacrificing quality, thus significantly reducing the number of floating point and memory access operations.

Is it just me or is AI going to massively disrupt the video game industry?

It's hard not to the see the progression of image generation -> video generation ->...

We propose a novel neural compression technique specifically designed for material textures. We unlock two more levels of detail, i.e., 16× more texels, using low bitrate compression, with image quality that is better than advanced image compression techniques, such as AVIF and JPEG XL. At the same time, our method allows for on-demand, real-time decompression with random access similar to block texture compression on GPUs. This extends our compression benefits all the way from disk storage to memory. The key idea behind our approach is compressing multiple material textures and their mipmap chains together, and using a small neural network, that is optimized for each material, to decompress them. Finally, we use a custom training implementation to achieve practical compression speeds, whose performance surpasses that of general frameworks, like PyTorch, by an order of magnitude.

Don't see any thread on DirectML where this would be a better fit.

+

Last edited:
Don't see any thread on DirectML where this would be a better fit.
Seems NVIDIA is left alone optimizing DirectML along with Microsoft, AMD should be present in the scene, but they are not, I feel this is a repeat of DXR.

Seems NVIDIA is left alone optimizing DirectML along with Microsoft, AMD should be present in the scene, but they are not, I feel this is a repeat of DXR.
AMD claims that they are participating:
(Haven't posted that one since it was included into the MS blogpost above.)

Back