Machine Learning: WinML/DirectML, CoreML & all things ML

Discussion in 'Rendering Technology and APIs' started by Ike Turner, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Since the first big commercial use case of WinML is now publicly available (in Adobe Lightroom CC 0219) I thought that it would be better to have dedicated thread about all Machine Learning things instead of polluting the Nvidia DLSS thread with semi OT content.

Anyway, here are the goodies:

Adobe Lightroom CC 0219 Image Enhancer using WinML & CoreML:

https://theblog.adobe.com/enhance-details/

Performance (spoiler AMD's GCN is fast):

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...C-2019-Enhanced-Details-GPU-Performance-1366/
    [​IMG]

In other ML news..Unity developed its own ML inference engine which is totally cross platform/HW compatible! No need for TensorFlow/WinML,CoreML or any other IE.. "it just works" on anything:

Unity ML-Agents Toolkit:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/03/0...v0-7-a-leap-towards-cross-platform-inference/

2. Max McMullen

Newcomer

Unity's done a great job integrating ML into their product so far and it makes sense for them to have a layer that can provide ML functionality without any platform specific frameworks. That said, the DirectX platform does have some unique hardware acceleration support in DirectML. At this year's GDC we announced the public release of the DirectML API and Unity announced support for DirectML, leveraging it where they can for increased performance:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/gaming-with-windows-ml/
    https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directml-at-gdc-2019/

Thanks,
    Max McMullen
    Development Manager
    Compute, Graphics, & AI
    Microsoft

3. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

ESRGAN image upscaler (Enhanced Super-Resolution Generative Adversarial Networks) is finally free from its CUDA "shackles".
    It has been ported to Unity's cross platform Inference Engine (named Barracuda :cool:) and now works on Intel/AMD/Nvidia hardware directly inside Unity.
    Download Unity package here (& import into Unity 2018.3+ ).

#3 Ike Turner, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    milk, Silent_Buddha, AlBran and 3 others like this.
  4. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

nice! Unity is getting pretty awesome. What a fantastic feature for developers.

5. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Is it too much to ask for some freeware where I can just input a batch of images/textures/etc., select a SuperScale amount, and presto-output-folder? :p

Kind of curious to see if MS can have that as an option when taking screenshots on Xbox or Win10, for example. It'd be like having Ansel (so hot right now) without needing to inject it or have developer intervention (only select games).

I'd love to see an experiment for 90s 2D/sprite games. Is performance there for real-time superscaling where older-school games are in the 320x200-800x600 range :?: I guess they'd have to be on D3D first... and maybe there'd be crazy artefacting in motion around moving objects (e.g. isometric games). :s zoidblerg.

#5 AlBran, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  6. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

not quite just a freeware with some customizations ;)
    I suspect someone can make the tool like that. what are you looking to do?

7. zed

zed
    Veteran

well considering it took over a minute on a single 256x256 sized texture on my admittedly inboard graphics I say having this running at good framerates is a long way off.
    Also it doesnt handle Jpg artifacts well, just makes them worse, so prolly not the best for photos, but old CGI yes could be good

8. milk

Veteran Regular

I think a more workable way of doing this would be to rip the game's source art, superscale that up, and inject the higher res art into the game. Some emulators allow such fan-made texture-patch injection.

9. Per Lindstrom

Newcomer Subscriber

Very quiet about DirectML, any news?

10. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

its released. It's up to developers to take advantage of it.

Per Lindstrom likes this.
  11. Per Lindstrom

Newcomer Subscriber

[​IMG]
    Found out yesterday. :).

orangpelupa and iroboto like this.