LuXr - a tool for windows power users

Well I can't reproduce it right now either after I tried launching an application... LuXr has used almost 8 mins of CPU time though, which is only topped by firefox. (And I have had it open maybe 10 times for a few sec a time.) So it has defently used quite a few CPU resourses while not being used. I'll keep you updated on the issue...

I can see that priority is set to realtime... Is this nessesary? (I guess the animations are the reason you do this) Its probably why my media player skips when writing a lot in the LuXr field.

Memory isn't a big issue for me if it's just released to the OS on request... I guess that might be the nature of managed applications. (Haven't written anything managed myself besides java yet, so not sure how .net behaves) As long as you know that memory is probably one of peoples concerns since it's program that runs all the time... :)

Tokelil said:
I can see that priority is set to realtime... Is this nessesary?
Realtime is probably overkill, I don't even remeber when I set this. I will definitely reduce it.
[edit]Now it uses AboveNormal when running (so if your Music Player is set to High or above (which it should) it will not skip) and BelowNormal when idle (though that shouldn't matter as it doesn't do a freaking thing!). Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Tokelil said:
As long as you know that memory is probably one of peoples concerns since it's program that runs all the time...
All those concerns will hopefully be gone when the next version only shows less than 2 MB in the task manager :D - which is, I must stress again, what it actually uses.

I just tested the idle cpu usage bug with the exact same exe I released and not just with my current dev version, but still nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
PeterT said:
[edit]Now it uses AboveNormal when running (so if your Music Player is set to High or above (which it should) it will not skip) and BelowNormal when idle (though that shouldn't matter as it doesn't do a freaking thing!). Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
The playing thread is set to high at least in the mediaplayer, so should be fine now. Hopefully this will fix that issue! :)

I just released v1.15, for info see the homepage. All obvous bugs & memory usage are fixed.

Captain Chickenpants said:
I suspect it is probably an interaction with other things installed on the system.
Is your hooking playing nicely with other system hooks?
It really just uses the User32.dll RegisterHotKey function, so I don't see how this could cause these problems. Though I'm almost certain that the first sentence of your post is correct ;)

Configurable activation key would be nice. Alt+X is a massive bastard to press for me :LOL:

Edit: Hah, I see it's configurable already. Don't mind me :LOL:

Edit2: And 0.15 has 0% usage when idle, brilliant :D

Rys said:
Edit2: And 0.15 has 0% usage when idle, brilliant :D
Great!
I did fix a small oversight that could've caused 0.5% cpu usage when idle but I didn't believe it to be the cause of the 10%+ readings you guys have been getting. If it was, all the better! Does the task manager now also show the correct RAM usage? (only after it has been openend at least once)

Yes it shows very little resource usage now. (Didn't at first...) Only 1.3 MB. Also besides when it started it hasn't used any CPU basicly. :)

Plugin now available :-0

Does the open document thing I suggested.

http://www.gelp.net/d.zip

Just does txt,doc,jpg,kml and kmz at the moment. Easy enough to add more. (make sure you add to the settings file as well).

Heavily based on the launcher plugin

CC

I installed the program and run it. It seems to be sitting in the taskbar and I can access its settings but pressing ALT+X doesn't do anything :( I tried to reconfigure the global hotkey to ALT+M but it didn't do the trick.

Miksu said:
I installed the program and run it. It seems to be sitting in the taskbar and I can access its settings but pressing ALT+X doesn't do anything :( I tried to reconfigure the global hotkey to ALT+M but it didn't do the trick.
Have you tried pressing the hotkey and just writing for example fir + [enter]? (If you have firefox installed...) Some times it doesn't show anything on screen it seems. (I can't get it to show atm. either for some reason :( ) The program "works" though. :???:

Edit: Kind of weird. Got it work, restarted computer and then it didn't work again. Then trying it now (20 mins later) it works fine... weird. Will post if I figure out a pattern.

Tokelil said:
Have you tried pressing the hotkey and just writing for example fir + [enter]? (If you have firefox installed...) Some times it doesn't show anything on screen it seems. (I can't get it to show atm. either for some reason :( ) The program "works" though. :???:

Hah, true, it seems to be working. I didn't see anything but the firefox still started. When alt-tabbing, LuXr seems to be there but without GUI.

Ok, seems to run ok on my work machine, without a silly cpu load.
Although I am seeing the same non-appearing issue that others are reporting.

One thing that you should probably add is non-boolean settings. You may already have them but I don't see any used in the available plugins.

CC

I think I was a bit overzelous in reducing the prozess priority when LuXr is closed. I also experienced the "no-go" issue once with 0.15. I will return priority to normal when closed - it shouldn't matter anyway as the "CPU usage when closed" bug seems to be gone.

One thing that you should probably add is non-boolean settings. You may already have them but I don't see any used in the available plugins.
Actually, the main settings also use the same model as the plugins, so currently there are StringSettings, IntSettings and even OptionSettings (unused). I really need to write some docs - there are even ways for plugins to draw their own result pane and/or load external *.dll's!

Back