Lost Planet and Dead Rising signaling a turning point for Capcom

22psi

Veteran
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157081#Scene_2

Pretty interesting read and great to see that Capcom is leading the way for Japanese developers.

Capcom Didn't Want Lost Planet, Dead Rising at First

But looking at it from management's perspective, this is the (Xbox) 360 we're talking about, in Japan. So there's that. Plus, being next-gen means development's not going to be cheap by any means. It's a very big investment for a company. So I guess it's only natural that they would be apprehensive about okaying the games, both Lost Planet and Dead Rising. But as a game creator, if you can't convince them to take those kinds of risks, you'll never be able to make any good games."

"Just know that I'm not stopping there, now that Lost Planet's out the door. There are more titles like this in store for fans: risky, challenging games, with a lot riding on them."

Quite refreshing indeed.

There was an interview here... was it last year?... about basically the same thing; Inafune saying that it was basically time to break out of the safety zone, and drag Capcom along kickign and screaming if he had to; also that he never wanted to be essentially a "slave" to a franchise the way he felt Kojima had been forced to become with MGS.

He definitely earns a lot of respect from me as a developer, and he seems like a legitimately nice/cool guy to boot.

I'm anxious to see what the teams are cooking up next! LP came out of nowhere. The interesting thing is Capcom has such a rich history of great IP that I'd be dissappointed if they didn't make sequels out of them.

It's great to see a games company with such rich tradition of quality still maintain this tradition of greatness. -Sega:oops:

The interesting thing is Capcom has such a rich history of great IP that I'd be dissappointed if they didn't make sequels out of them.

What now? ;)

Believe me, although he's talking about making further innovative - and original - IPs there's no trying to obscure the fact that we will now be consigned, whatever happens, to Lost Planet 2 through 5, and Dead Rising 2 through 4 with several special editions. And that's neither a good nor bad thing, but simply the Capcom model once a hit *does* make itself known. Worry not, you'll get your sequels. :)

What now? ;)

Believe me, although he's talking about making further innovative - and original - IPs there's no trying to obscure the fact that we will now be consigned, whatever happens, to Lost Planet 2 through 5, and Dead Rising 2 through 4 with several special editions. And that's neither a good nor bad thing, but simply the Capcom model once a hit *does* make itself known. Worry not, you'll get your sequels. :)

Just commenting that even though they make high quality original IP's they still have a back catelog of great IP's to turn if they want/need to recreate/resurect them.

I also expect sequels of lp & dr too.;)

In fact ... when it comes to IP I'd say currently Capcom may be the best in the biz. Who else has a history of IP that can compare to capcom that also consistantly comes up with new quality IP to this day?

Who else has a history of IP that can compare to capcom that also consistantly comes up with new quality IP to this day?

See though, this is what the article is about - and why Inafune is quasi-maveric in his cricles. Because indeed, consitently coming up with new IPs is something most devs (publishers) do *not* do, and that has included Capcom. Inafune however sees a chance to redefine Capcom's role in this generation of consoles from classic game-house giant (not a bad place to be, by any means) to becoming an innovation leader as well.

They've had the talent for a while; now it's just a matter of taking those first few steps into a riskier - but potentially more rewarding - world.

During the 16/32 bit eras, I found that Sega, Capcom and Konami had the strongest catalogues of any game makers in the world... Sega has had a morale issue since teh demise of the Dreamcast. The other two have definitely been stuck in the money making sequel ruts...

I am proud of Capcom for trying and succeeding with something new. Come on Konami catch up!

There are three classic games in Capcom's library that i want to see updated: Bionic commando, Forgotten Worlds and Strider. We are about due for a next version of all of these.

See though, this is what the article is about - and why Inafune is quasi-maveric in his cricles. Because indeed, consitently coming up with new IPs is something most devs (publishers) do *not* do, and that has included Capcom. Inafune however sees a chance to redefine Capcom's role in this generation of consoles from classic game-house giant (not a bad place to be, by any means) to becoming an innovation leader as well.

They've had the talent for a while; now it's just a matter of taking those first few steps into a riskier - but potentially more rewarding - world.

Perhaps his goal is unique IP with bigger budgets but I didn't notice Capcom slowing at all last gen.

Okami
Viewtiful Joe
Devil May Cry
Killer7
Onimusha

All were new IP from last gen. Some of which were not only new IP but new concepts unseen anywhere else.

Did any other developer produce this many new, unique, HQ, IP last gen?

*Not to mention that crazy Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney for DS!*

Last edited by a moderator:
Devil May Cry and Onimusha really aren't anything new per se; I'd consider those - along with Resident Evil - to be in a classic strong vein of Capcom development.

Viewtiful Joe and Okami... indeed, and I do agree with you. Now, it's worth mentioning that the internal studio that developed those was shut down due to the lack of $$$ they brought in. That sort of lets you know the state of things at Capcom, and what Inafune is up against.

Devil May Cry and Onimusha really aren't anything new per se; I'd consider those - along with Resident Evil - to be in a classic strong vein of Capcom development.

Viewtiful Joe and Okami... indeed, and I do agree with you. Now, it's worth mentioning that the internal studio that developed those was shut down due to the lack of $$$ they brought in. That sort of lets you know the state of things at Capcom, and what Inafune is up against.

From what I understood of the matter though nobody was fired in this process. The employees of Clover studios(?) just became general employees of Capcom.

Back