"Lost Odyssey" a catalyst to sell millions in Japan & tens of millions in Europe?

What impact will "Lost Odyssey" have?

• Lost Odyssey has a great chance of selling a lot of XB360's in Japan & Europe

Votes: 46 41.8%
  • The PS3 is going to crush everything at the Tokyo Game Show.

Votes: 64 58.2%

• Total voters
In my opinion they have a massive hurdle to overcome, so to expect it to happen in year 1 with no great games is totally unrealistic. I think that if it doesn't pick up some serious momentum by the end of next year then we could probably call it dead, but it's definately too early now.

Expect what to happen?? I'm a bit lost now. :LOL:

Yeah i got that bit, but what does this hurdle actually consist of? Outselling Sony and Nintendo? Selling X amount of units?:D

I think he meant that expecting X360 to sell million unit on it's first year was unrealistic, because of no big titles and the poor imago of X360 in Japan in essence they never had the chance eventhough they were there alone. And he believes that with the upcoming good titles MS will or atleast might have a chance to sell those Million units in a year even with hard competition.

My take on the matter now is that MS should have had those big titles when there wasn't competition, and even though they are getting some quality titles out there, it's going to be a massive problem to gather enough attention away from Nintendo and Sony to start selling those Boxes, the environment just is too "hostile" for 360 over there. It remains to be seen what happens there, but somehow I think that the japanese market is not going to support three machines. and I think Sony's and Nintendo's success is given. So hard times ahead. I hope I'm wrong though, in the end I think it would be good for everybody if MS get's things going for it in Japan.

Yeah i got that bit, but what does this hurdle actually consist of? Outselling Sony and Nintendo? Selling X amount of units?:D

Obviously the hurdle is overcoming the negative brand perception and redeeming the product, making it a viable gaming system.

I'm simply posing the question as to whether people think it's possible that they can reach the 1million mark by the end of next year.

scooby you mean like 1.000.000 360's in japan until christmas 2007?
if that's what you mean, I believe it can happen.

as long as microsoft keeps up the good work and promote in the right way, its feasible.
in a month or two we may be able to predict even better.

p.s. I put my gamertag online so everybody can see it.
I guess now some people can stop calling me a sony fanbot!!

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a new strategy for Japan only? Sell 360s for a really low price and make up the losses via software (like the razor business) :D

We'll know whether or not the JRPGs/exclusives can dent the market early in 2007. If BD and LP do nothing in Japan in terms of moving systems, its very unlikely that LO or TB, etc. will. In 4 months a lot more will be clear. Like l-b said, I dont think MS cares too much, the 'japanese' games theyve shown will have global appeal so those developers will still be profitiable on them.

I do think that the perception of MS continually trying to crack the market indefiintely is important though. Whether or not they think they can ever be successful there is largely irrelevant, imo. As long as they keep trying, it will keep their eastern development partners out of a sensitive situation. Which is to say, how would Sakaguchi feel if MS' stance was anything but 'we're still trying hard in Japan'? If they came out and said 'yeah we give up, we're pulling out of japan', i almost feel as if that would be a very delicate cultural situation for the eastern devs, regardless of their monetary opportunities globally.

If they came out and said 'yeah we give up, we're pulling out of japan', i almost feel as if that would be a very delicate cultural situation for the eastern devs, regardless of their monetary opportunities globally.

Corporations who let their cultural delicacy take precedence over their monetary opportunities aren't likely to last long.

Obviously the hurdle is overcoming the negative brand perception and redeeming the product, making it a viable gaming system.

I'm simply posing the question as to whether people think it's possible that they can reach the 1million mark by the end of next year.

Possible i guess... But if they keep selling like they're selling now, they won't reach 70k (added to whatever they've sold so far) between here and Xmas 2007... They will have to sell around 15 times as much as they're selling now to get to 1 million. All in one year, the same year the competition will steal all the attention...

DISCLAIMER: I'm really tired, had the day from hell, so i probably got the math all wrong.

How about a new strategy for Japan only? Sell 360s for a really low price and make up the losses via software (like the razor business) :D

Cost is really not what i hurting the 360 at the moment. It's already relatively cheap for a next gen console, and lowering the price even more would not be beneficial at all to MS. People aren't buying 360's because they don't want to (for various reasons which we have discussed here), not because they're expensive.

Cost is really not what i hurting the 360 at the moment. It's already relatively cheap for a next gen console, and lowering the price even more would not be beneficial at all to MS. People aren't buying 360's because they don't want to (for various reasons which we have discussed here), not because they're expensive.

that is currently true however, when the price is dropped (predict May 2007) it will open up an entire new (even larger) market of consumers that want the 360, just not at the current price.

that is currently true however, when the price is dropped (predict May 2007) it will open up an entire new (even larger) market of consumers that want the 360, just not at the current price.

Yep, the 20,000 Japanese 360 fans in that market can't wait! :D

Sorry, couldnt resist. ;)

Possible i guess... But if they keep selling like they're selling now, they won't reach 70k (added to whatever they've sold so far) between here and Xmas 2007... They will have to sell around 15 times as much as they're selling now to get to 1 million. All in one year, the same year the competition will steal all the attention...

DISCLAIMER: I'm really tired, had the day from hell, so i probably got the math all wrong.

It's all good, I said they needed to increase if 20fold, so we're in the same ballpark ;)
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=838302&postcount=166

I still laugh at everyone making snide comments, like Blue Dragon, Lost Planet, Lost Odyssey aren't going to sell 360s. Up until now, there hasn't been a reason to buy a 360 in Japan. To take current sales figures and base your opinion on them, is just silly.

Back