Lords of the Fallen (2023) [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Recommended PC system requirements for 1080p High DX12 settings: RTX 2080 and RX 6700.
The game could be super optimized as it supports DX11 as well.

Last edited:

Best looking UE5 game I’ve seen so far. Particle effects are everywhere and are excellent. Art direction is also very good.

I was watching a stream of this from Cohh and it seemed to be quite a decent playing and looking souls-like. The lantern mechanic makes it stand out and the really creepy umbral world you look into with the lantern has some fantastic artwork.

That looks terrible. PC footage was way nicer. How does a game even get green lighted for release in this state. It’s implies pure disdain for paying customers.

PC players can't complain about their version stuttering... if they all do

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

PC players can't complain about their version stuttering... if they all do
The previews from the last few weeks looked reasonable sharp and smooth, the stuff i'm seeing today is almost like a different game and not in a good way. I only just started lies of p and though this would be the better of the 2 games but now i'm not so sure.

iGNs reviewer was experiencing, presumably shader, stuttering on a 4090.

The stuttering was terrible in their video review. They mention the poor performance on an 4090 and still gave it an 8. No wonder games ship like this. You roll out an unfinished product and still pull an 8/10 from IGN.

PC Gamer played it on an 3060 and also gave it 8/10. Strangely enough they were happy with the performance on such a low end card.

“I'd expected the dual-world elements to throw a spanner into the game's performance, but using the Lamp was a shockingly smooth experience. I can only chalk this up to SSD magic. The game recommends an SSD at minimum—it does say it supports hard drives, though I imagine you'll have trouble if you haven't yet made the leap. In general, the game seems well put together—I ran it smoothly (bar some strange framerate tanks in certain areas) on a Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 and only encountered a handful of bugs, only one or two of which required a restart.”

The stuttering was terrible in their video review. They mention the poor performance on an 4090 and still gave it an 8. No wonder games ship like this. You roll out an unfinished product and still pull an 8/10 from IGN.

PC Gamer played it on an 3060 and also gave it 8/10. Strangely enough they were happy with the performance on such a low end card.

“I'd expected the dual-world elements to throw a spanner into the game's performance, but using the Lamp was a shockingly smooth experience. I can only chalk this up to SSD magic. The game recommends an SSD at minimum—it does say it supports hard drives, though I imagine you'll have trouble if you haven't yet made the leap. In general, the game seems well put together—I ran it smoothly (bar some strange framerate tanks in certain areas) on a Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 and only encountered a handful of bugs, only one or two of which required a restart.”
A video popped up on my youtube feed testing it with lower end gpu's and it looks like you could dial in medium/high settings to make the 3060 servicable. It didn't seem to be getting shader comp stutter after he switched gpu's but maybe he was running it before recording again or something. Should be linked to the start of the 3060 run.

I'm not that far in, but its running great for me. I'm on a 13600k, 2070 Super, 32GB Ram. Running all settings high, reflections on Ultra, 1440 DLSS Balanced and its over or around 60 most of the time. I've downed the first boss and it did drop to what seemed liked 40fps when she did some effects heavy magic attacks, with another magic user companion helping me.

When booting it has what I assume is a shader precompilation screen that lasted around 20 seconds, and when first going in game, first impression was that it was going to run like crap, because it was a stutterfest, but it lasted like 5 seconds and it was only the initial seconds of the first time I went ingame. After that I've not noticed a single shader or traversal stutter.

I'm not that far in, but its running great for me. I'm on a 13600k, 2070 Super, 32GB Ram. Running all settings high, reflections on Ultra, 1440 DLSS Balanced and its over or around 60 most of the time. I've downed the first boss and it did drop to what seemed liked 40fps when she did some effects heavy magic attacks, with another magic user companion helping me.

When booting it has what I assume is a shader precompilation screen that lasted around 20 seconds, and when first going in game, first impression was that it was going to run like crap, because it was a stutterfest, but it lasted like 5 seconds and it was only the initial seconds of the first time I went ingame. After that I've not noticed a single shader or traversal stutter.
Seen this reflected in various videos and forum posts.. They really need to implement a compilation screen upon initial launch and finish the pre-compilation before it advances to the title screen/character creator. It's sad that the engine doesn't do this by default.

UE's default behavior should be to throw up a bog standard "compilation" screen and not advance until all listed PSOs have been precompiled. Right now the application starts and it kicks off the compilation and it compiles until it's done, and that typically persists through the logo intros and title screen.. and if you start the game fast enough, it will persist into the beginning of the game as well. This is just simply unelegant IMO. The game should not start until the PSOs have been precompiled by default. Throw up a screen, let the user know something is happening and that the game hasn't crashed.. and then start the game proper.

Cmon Epic... fix that shit, as a lot of devs seemingly can't be bothered to elegantly do this process on their own.

So, I'm trying it within the 2-hour refund window and it's running pretty damn great so far. I got no stutters or shader compilation problems whatsoever. No bad frame pacing or slowdowns. The game is however incredibly demanding. 3440x1440, max settings, no upscaling and around 80fps in the starting area but when I go to the Umbral Realm, this drops to to the 60s and 70s and I even had a brief drop to 58fps. Native 4K max settings is most likely out of the question but why play that without DLSS anyway?

Is it really so hard to grasp that performance isn't everything to most people? They are allowed to still enjoy a game despite some technical flaw(s). There's nothing unreasonable about this. Giving it some low score over stutter issues even though they overall had a good time playing the game wouldn't be an honest review, it would be a protest. All they can do is give their opinion, and that's the way it should be. Nobody should be demanded to review games in any certain way outside their own subjective experience. This isn't a teacher grading a test.

I mean, I loved Bloodborne. That was a mere 30fps with drops *and* had constant stutter issues on top of that. Still loved it. Did it detract from the experience? Yea, it did. In fact, it's probably the only thing keeping it from being tied as my favorite Souls-like game. But it didn't ruin the game for me. As usual, it's the sort of thing that I tend to just phase out after a while if the game is good, especially if it's the only game I play for a time.

Back