Looking for advice on materials for a custom Micro-ATX case

Nick Spolec

Newcomer
Hey all,

Well, I have been wanting to build a custom mini PC for awhile, but the Via ITX boards just don't suit my needs (need AGP). After looking through tons of Micro-ATX boards, I have found a particularly small Micro-ATX board (Shuttle MK40VN) that would be perfect.

Now, I want to build a custom case for it, to ensure as small a package as possible. But I would like to know if anyone has advice for the case material.

I was going to go with a thin gauge sheet metal, but some tests I did have proved that it's too cumbersome to work with. I want to use something that is flexible to work with (easy to cut and build).

I was thinking of maybe using a rubber maid like plastic (think of those plastic storage bins). But it might prove difficult to actually use (it's not really a solid structure). Cardboard is too ghetto (but is ideal to work with). I was then thinking of styrofoam (the most ideal material to work with, solid structure and easy to use), but that might not be the smartest idea (styrofoam and static electricity seem to go together).

Thoughts?

Er... Yeah.

Thanks, but you know that doesn't really help me.

Yes, I know about XPC's, but I don't want to spend 200+ for something that I could build for half that.

Actually, I was thinking about a form fitting case that matches the dimensions of the motherboard (with enough height to use AGP/PCI cards, and an extra space for a hard drive and an XPC power supply).

So, basically, I want to build the smallest possible case that is like an SFF case, just not as bulky or tall.

Nice. That's pretty damn small, but I could build a smaller one myself. I would just like others opinions of possible materials to use/what are safe to use.. Such as a Styrofoam case with a metal grounding plate (again, I don't know how safe that would be).

My goal is to have a "portal" PC, as light and small as possible, that has enough functionality. The thing with that Micro-ATX case is, there is a lot there that I could eliminate in my own design (we're talking cutting a lot of inches and weight from the design), especially if using a XPC power supply (and a laptop DVD drive, no floppy).

I would use alumanum if posable. Its light and should bend easiely is not too thick but will cost alot. Theres plexy but is heavyer then alumanum.

micromini_02.jpg

micromini_03.jpg

micromini_04.jpg

It's aluminum.

Oh, THAT's what you were implying in your post... :LOL: Not the XPC's.

Then sorry for my previous reply.

You have a link for that? It may still be more viable to actually do my own.

You could build a case out of a WindowsXP or Redhat OS software box... 8)

Nick Spolec said:
Oh, THAT's what you were implying in your post... :LOL: Not the XPC's.

Then sorry for my previous reply.

You have a link for that? It may still be more viable to actually do my own.

http://www.ahanix.com

It's not available yet, but it's coming soon. It might be pricey though considering it's all aluminum. If you need an even smaller computer still then here's something you migh find interesting.

tea_cube.jpg

http://www.akibalive.com/archives/000539.html#more

Back