Looking at new computer

ANova said:
You could also get the AIW X800 XT in place of that XL which I've seen go for as little as $300.
I saw that, except that the inexpensive AIW X800XT was AGP and not PCI-E.

_xxx_ said:
Hey Russ, got the right machine for you. Look at the Hexus frontpage:

http://www.hexus.net/

Amari ZMax D2 - dual Opteron, SLI in an SFF! I wonder how much will it cost?
That is just nuts.

Anyways, I went with the 3000+ Venice, Gigabyte NF4-U-939(fanless) and X800XL (fanless).

Hopefully this will prevent me from buying anything else anytime soon.

I have 2x512MB of DDR400 Corsair from my current rig.

A quiet 450W power supply (I bought that last year to quiet my machine), and I'll re-use the HD I've got now (plus a 160G I picked up for $35 after rebate)

I'll try to pawn off my 9800 to somebody, and put the XP2400+ in my wife's machine, and take the 1800+ and...umm....I dunno about that one, or the extra ECS-K5SA (or whatever that cheap piece of crap MB was).

RussSchultz said:
I have 2x512MB of DDR400 Corsair from my current rig.

A quiet 450W power supply (I bought that last year to quiet my machine), and I'll re-use the HD I've got now (plus a 160G I picked up for $35 after rebate)

I'll try to pawn off my 9800 to somebody, and put the XP2400+ in my wife's machine, and take the 1800+ and...umm....I dunno about that one, or the extra ECS-K5SA (or whatever that cheap piece of crap MB was).

It should work. The ECS K7S5A can use any 266FSB AMD XP. It can see Mobile very well to with updated BIOS or one of Cheepomans BIOS.

Well, the stuff came. All put together and working fine.

Except the onboard audio. I thought I'd cheap out and not put my SBLive in there. The audio is very crackly when playing Republic Commando. Very irritating.

Any suggestions beyond getting off my lazy ass and putting the SB Live in there? Google doesn't turn up much of anything.

Yeah I got a suggestion, smash the SB-live with the handiest available heavy object and buy yourself an Audigy2.

Seriously, the sb-live sucks balls compared to the A2....a real night/day difference in performance and quality, and the drivers don't suck too bad. ;)

Just a suggestion. You've sunk a lot of money into a nice rig, will a now-cheap Audigy2 really be that much more? (I think they're under $50us now.)

Does it only happen under republic commando? If so then it's most probably the game's fault. Otherwise try playing with available drivers for that onboard sound.

ANova said:
Does it only happen under republic commando? If so then it's most probably the game's fault. Otherwise try playing with available drivers for that onboard sound.
I get similar problems under Civ3.

I'll look at newer drivers.

How the hell do you install the nForce4 audio drivers!?

They don't show up in my hardware manager. When I go to the software add/remove, and try to remove the drivers, it doesn't say they're installed. The drive package doesn't have a setup.exe. Grrrr.

nForce4 audio drivers? Employer driven selective eyesight...?:)

You should have a Realtek ALC850 7.1 AC97 codec on your board. Grab the latest drivers from their web site. No need to uninstall the existing drivers, just run the installer.

I kinda got that idea, but I thought the nForce had built in audio.

Ah well, sux to use realtek products. They're the pits. ;)

Back