Looking at new computer

RussSchultz

Professional Malcontent
Veteran
Shuttle SN25P Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Sempron nVIDIA nForce4 Barebone - Retail
Model #: SN25P
**This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only.
Remove Save Move To Wishlist $380.00 $380.00
ProcessorsQty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3700BNBOX
**This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only.
Remove Save Move To Wishlist $335.00 $335.00
Video Cards & Related DevicesQty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update MSI RX800PRO-TD256E Radeon X800PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: RX800PRO-TD256E
Remove Save Move To Wishlist $299.00 -$25.00 Instant
$274.00
The case has a 350W PS. Should I expect issues?

IF so, are SFF/XPCs no longer the rage? (This one has the beefiest PS I've noticed)

Will that video card fit?

Pete said:
Russ, why not an X800XL over that X800P? Noise?
Seconded, the XL is a much nicer card than the pro. (I think, at least I noticed a really big gain when I flashed my pro to an XT and it's more the pipelines than the clockspeed.)

Other than that I freaking hate you, I'm desperately trying to get meself a 939/AMD64 set-up but the best I can dream of getting is a 3200+ Venice.

(Oh yeah, make sure that 3700+ is a Venice....muchly better!)

Ahhh, right. X800XL, then. Cost isn't much more, if anything.

I was only looking at clock speeds, and forgot about # pipes.

And the core is a San Diego, w/ twice the cache of a Venice.

RussSchultz said:
And the core is a San Diego, w/ twice the cache of a Venice.
Ah, yet with the same new die-shrink that is so yummylicious.....GODS I hate you now! ;)

You're gonna love that set-up, waste $20 and get yourself a Logitech ultra-flat keyboard and a mx518/1000 mouse and really live the luxury. 8)

I have one of the Logitech wireless desktop setups now, so I'm going to stick with that.

I'm just thinking about buying all this, ya know. Its been a while since I've sunk any real money into my computer...but $1000 is a bit steep.

When I was looking I was planning on a $100 939 mobo and $150 AMD64 3200+, I'm still looking at 'em but the CPU is still about $180. :?

Sorry for OT but here is a under $100 939 ATI Express 200 full size ATX at newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813190003
Its made by Tul and is the same company at PowerColor.
I talked to one of the ATI reps about 2 months ago thats in charge of mother board chipsets and had the Tul board with him. Grayskull (ATI rep) liked the board and said it was based off there Bullhead board.
If you want you can find Grayskull at XtremeSystems fourms.

As for SFFs being the rage, you can't deny it's much nicer to have the PC right on your desk for easy access. Not all of 'em are what I'd call quiet, though (I only have experience with a Shuttle Zen), and newer video cards may push even a 350W PSU.

Man, $1000 seems expensive for "just" an XL, especially if you have any interest in XB360 or PS3. You could always skip the SFF premium and build a very upgradable S939 system around a regular ATX MB and case (with 120mm fans) and a slower, cheaper Venice-based A64.

I dunno, what'll you be doing with this new build? Gaming, mostly? Office work? If it's just those two, and you have a $1k budget, I'd almost consider a P-M SFF with a $330AR AIW X800XT. Yeah, nowhere near as upgradable and not quite as fast, but just neat in terms of performance per watt, and not exactly a slouch with the games.

Mostly gaming, and websurfing.

GIGABYTE GA-K8N Ultra-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: GA-K8N Ultra-9
Remove Save Move To Wishlist $135.00 $135.00

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3700BNBOX
Remove Save Move To Wishlist $335.00 $335.00

GIGABYTE GV-RX80L256V Radeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: GV-RX80L256V
Remove Save Move To Wishlist $318.00 $318.00
I'm iffy on the SFF, for noise reasons.

This sounds like it might be a btter solution. The MB has a passive cooling on its IO bridge chip; the video card has passive cooling also.

I already have a quiet-ish PSU fan, so this might be the shiznit. Its also 200-ish cheaper.

You could save about $ 135 by going for a Venice 3200. Runs 10% slower (2 GHz, instead of 2,2 GHz), but is 40% cheaper. I don't think you will ever notice the difference in performance.

Sounds nice-ish :) if you already have a case and PSU. I'm with Di-Guru on this, I'd drop down to a 3200+ or 3000+ Venice and store the leftover money for dual-core, when it arrives.

You can see the effect of L2 for games here: typically a 5% boost, closer to 10% for HL2. Worth the extra money? Doesn't seem like it.

Difference between 1.8, 2.0, and 2.2GHz here. (Bonus: P-M numbers and astonishing 60W lower power draw. :))

Yeah, what they said is why I'm planning on the 3200+ Venice. It seems to be a pretty universal opinion right now that the V3200+ is the sweet spot for performance/value for gaming.

RussSchultz said:
At that point, I'd go for the 3000+ Venice. 25% cheaper, 10% slower.

Yes, that would be my personal choice as well. Best bang for your buck.

I've been hearing people have had better luck OCing the 3200+ over the 3000+, that's my reason for going with it.

I don't think Russ OCs though, but when I buy my kit I keep it in mind. ;)

I do upon occasion, but I've found it punishes me more than it helps me.

(I had a Celeron300A I ran at 450; a 600 at 900, etc).

Back