Logitech MX Revolution

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Just picked one up. Damn expensive but seems to be a worth successor to the MX1000 I'm replacing it with. The free scroll on the main wheel is excellent, the side wheel (not really a wheel, just a rocker) adds seriously useful functionality in a bunch of apps I use (zoom in Photoshop for example) and the mouse just feels nice in my hand.

Bit smaller and lighter than the MX1000, which I was hoping against (I like the weighty feel of the MX1000), but it's not so much smaller or lighter that I dislike it.

In short, very sweet. If you're an MX1000 user already you'll feel right at home with the Revolution I reckon, should you switch.

What's the mAh rating of the battery and what's the declared mA rating of the mouse Rys?

I'd buy that mouse if it was either wired or bluetooth wireless. Don't need another freakin' dongle sticking out of my PC and occupying a USB plug, that's just dumb. With all the other wireless devices appearing in the near future (Wii, PS3 etc), it's stupid to create any more interference in this narrow frequency band than neccessary.

What a shame, it's a very interesting product.

What's the mAh rating of the battery and what's the declared mA rating of the mouse Rys?
Not sure about the battery, but the mouse is an 800mA device (according to the bottom of it).

I've just rebooted into Ubuntu and while it works fine for the most part, without driver or config software to control the wheel ratchet and clicker, middle clicking is going to be a no-no. With the Revolution, clicking the wheel engages/disengages the ratchet for clicky/free scrolling, and doesn't generate any mouse event. With SetPoint under Windows you can fix that though, but under Linux you're stuck.

Two regular buttons, wheel button, zoom button, side back and forward buttons, side rocker button.

So 7 buttons + rocker 'wheel' on the Revo, all programmed using SetPoint just like they are with the MX1000.

Not sure how to get the rocker wheel working under Linux yet, either.

With the Revolution, clicking the wheel engages/disengages the ratchet for clicky/free scrolling, and doesn't generate any mouse event.
NOOOOOOO.

Why does Logitech always do dumb stupid crap like this with their products? Grrr. I just don't get them, always in their driver software for example you have to re-config the middle mouse button as 'generic' or else it won't work in games because they just HAD to go invent their own autoscroll function instead of using the one already present in windows. Wtf?

I hate their damn drivers, they always manage to bug out on me. One thing that has struck me several times is the mouse speed varying between windows, such as one acceleration setting being active for some windows and another in other windows, or pointer speed changing when switching in or out of fullscreen apps. Terribly annoying. I always prefer to run their mice without drivers at all, why the hell did they have to go and make middle mouse switch the clicks on or off when there are other buttons they could have mapped that feature to? Incredible!

There is something wrong with the world when keyboards and/or mice require drivers. [by which I mean add-on drivers]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back