Lock web browser to one site?

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
I want to set up a machine so that its browser (Firefox ideally) is locked to a single web site. It is going to be for customers so we don't want them browsing anything but our site. Does anyone know of a way to do this? I think I'm going to put Ubuntu on it, so is there a specific way to do this with Linux?

Place the site on a server and let them access that server for the site. There no evil internet and you still have the advantages of a normal website other wise.

maybe you can create a kind of white-list with the HOST (or LMHOST? which is it) file, with everything but your site redirected to 127.0.0.1
Or the browser would connect through a proxy (no NAT available for that machine), which is configured to act that way.

Should be easily done with a good firewall. When asked, just allow the connection to one specific ip-address and block everything else. This in Windows environment, with a firewall like Kerio.

On linux you could just use iptables/ipchains to limit port 80/443 to that specific IP address of the host. Or a better way overall would be to throw squid onto the ubuntu PC and configure that to allow the website only (and any other sites that website draws info from) and use iptables to redirect port 80/443 requests to the squid port.

Back