Llano IGP vs SNB IGP vs IVB IGP

Eg.

Using the inst dest, src notation

just do fma3 c,a,b
Yes certainly I was more thinking the other direction (igp mac has specific requirements for the last operand). FMA3 should be more easy to work with (even though it will always overwrite one reg).

Yes certainly I was more thinking the other direction (igp mac has specific requirements for the last operand). FMA3 should be more easy to work with (even though it will always overwrite one reg).

OOps. I should have said,

just do fmac c,a,b

the dest register is supposed to be the accumulator register in an fmac operation, right?
No, that's not necessary, but possible. dst reg can be any ordinary reg. (The accum reg cannot, however, be used as another explicit source operand - only instructions not using implicit accum reg can use accum reg as explicit first source operand).

No, that's not necessary, but possible. dst reg can be any ordinary reg. (The accum reg cannot, however, be used as another explicit source operand - only instructions not using implicit accum reg can use accum reg as explicit first source operand).
You seem to be be assuming that the accumulator is an implicit operand. For a "normal" isa, the result will be accumulated in destination register.

1200pins compared to what for a 32bit lpddr2?
and all that for "only" 4x speed increase? why don't use 4 channel 32bit?
even this can be less expensive :S

i've read another rumor about Llano
the gpu part will come in different configurations up to 400sp and different speed bin, with the faster reaching around 5700

AMD Llano A8-3510MX vs Intel Core i7 2630QM
Interesting if true, but a little suspect that they start a 3D app then *leave it running* during all of the other tests and thus at least implicitly claim equal-or-better performance and lower power in those other workloads as well. That does not follow from their test, even if we accept superior 3D graphics performance (which doesn't really come as a surprise).

Interesting if true, but a little suspect that they start a 3D app then *leave it running* during all of the other tests and thus at least implicitly claim equal-or-better performance and lower power in those other workloads as well. That does not follow from their test, even if we accept superior 3D graphics performance (which doesn't really come as a surprise).

Obviously this is marketing material so it needs to show the best/worst case scenario.
I suspect 3D app is trashing L3 cache of SB and lowers CPU performance for Excel, but on the other hand Llano have no L3 cache and all the CPU/GPU traffic needs to go through memory controller fighting for resources.
For sure WOW or EVE players will want to jump on Llano ASAP. They will be able to enjoy very playable FPS in games and work on e-mails / spreadsheets at the same time while at work :devilish:.

I suspect 3D app is trashing L3 cache of SB and lowers CPU performance for Excel, but on the other hand Llano have no L3 cache and all the CPU/GPU traffic needs to go through memory controller fighting for resources.

Core-i architecture has just a tiny 256KB L2 per core. So you could also interpret the benchmark as a stupid design choice from intel. To let the GPU use the L3 cache when the cores have such small L2 cache.
Bulldozer could be quite interesting with 2MB L2 cache per module plus 8MB L3 cache.

I'm actually less concerned about cache thrashing and more concerned about them measuring software things like 3D driver overhead, which is a moving target.

Hmmm, I wonder what the realworld power consumption of these will be? I may just hold off upgrading my WHS/HTPC machine until these launch.

Regards,
SB

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di..._Lineup_Will_Include_Five_APUs_Documents.html

some info about Llano

11 sku with the top model at 400 stream core at more than 600MHz

That would be a wicked chip for a gaming laptop. Hopefully a quad core Llano with the top spec graphics will be available for <$700 (Im personally hoping for $600 but even for $700 it would be fair). Add in a Redwood/Turks graphics card and with hybrid crossfire you'll have Juniper level graphics for cheap

That would be a wicked chip for a gaming laptop. Hopefully a quad core Llano with the top spec graphics will be available for <$700 (Im personally hoping for $600 but even for $700 it would be fair). Add in a Redwood/Turks graphics card and with hybrid crossfire you'll have Juniper level graphics for cheap

Well, it "looks" nice, but I'm still extremely skeptical of them reaching even 55xx levels of performance with the 65xx nomenclature. Just look at 68xx compared to 58xx. And this being on the CPU die with the bandwidth contraints to memory that it implies just makes me even more skeptical.

IMO, at least 56xx performance is what I'd need before I consider it adequate for gaming. Still it might be good for light gaming. More importantly for me is that it will be fantastic for HTPC duties if its real world power consumption is significantly lower than an equivalent CPU + 54xx or 55xx with at least the same audio and video playback capabilities.

Regards,
SB

Back