List Game With Chromatic Aberration

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Battlefield 4
Heavy on HUD

How to disable
Unkown, probably can be disabled by dialing all effect to minimum.

Crysis 3
Happen all the time.

How to disable
r_ChromaticAberration 0.0

Dying Light
Happen all the time.

How to disable
Unknown

GTA V
Happen when got damaged

How to disable
Unknown

Various Skyrim ENB Mod

How to disable
enbeffectprepass.fx look for "Aberration" change to 0

more will be added later.
Yes i have personal grudge to CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i have personal grudge to CA.
Probably because no one knows how to use it properly. Real chromatic aberration is nearly invisible.. you wouldn't see it unless you walked right up to the screen and looked at individual pixels. But, sadly, no one does it that way.. they want it to be obvious that they're doing "fancy stuff" with the graphics, so they push it way beyond any semblance of realistic levels.

Bottom line: If you can see the chromatic aberration, you're doing it wrong.

Pretty sure I saw it in bf3 (single player) used to simulate blurred vision ofter an explosion in a cutscene

I hate it too....simply said its a stupid effect which adds nothing to the graphics only defocuses the eyes and causes irritation
Agreed.

Camera lens manufacturers have spend huge amount of research money to reduce chromatic aberration in their lens designs. Best (most expensive) lenses today have basically zero visible chromatic aberration. Camera manufacturers have also invested in chromatic aberration removal algorithms, and current DSLR cameras are quite good at this. So you don't basically see any chromatic aberration in current photos in magazines / internet, etc. Of course some photographers still like to mess up with old cameras and like the poor image quality visual effect. But I wouldn't like my game to look like that, unless the game theme benefited greatly from it.

It add something to diamonds if you render them. :D
And water as well, especially caustics.
Chromatic aberration in diamonds and caustics is fine, because human eye (and good quality lenses) can also see them (because they are not caused by the lenses). But the chromatic aberration effects in games are trying to simulate bad lenses (aberration caused in lens optics), and are overdoing it by a mile. It's not natural to see (lens based) chromatic aberration (human eyes are very good in removing it). So just like bad fov or blurry (unfocused) images, it can cause headache / motion sickness (= not good).

Yes of course, I was just having fun with the unconditional. If not in cameras it's called "dispersion" anyway, not CA. It's quite pronounced in caustics in the real world, too bad there is not enough caustics in games (or renders). :)

I think CA is the term for the effect specifically applied to a render after the fact. I've never gotten around to actually using it myself.. some math involved in figuring out exactly what distance to distort and how the individual colors will distort in relation to the others.

CA if used inside correct context can be okay but some Dev goes overboard with it.

GTA v from trailers, seems using CA only for specific moments.

I hate it, it's a gimmick. The human visual system corrects for this, so I don't want to suffer from it in first person games. Use of CA in materials is absolutely fine though! There are also some scenarios where it becomes visible, such as narrow waveband blue light in the dark.

Back