LCD or plasma TV?

AlexV

Heteroscedasticitate
Veteran
As the title says, I`m faced with a bit of a dillema:LCD or Plasma?HDTV is not a concern, the TV would mostly be used for SD content like DVDs and television reception. The fact that you plasmas are quite a bit larger for the same money is appealing, but from what I`ve heard, they`re also quite fussy, suck quite a serious ammount of juice, burn-ins are more frecvent than not etc.What would you guys suggest?

if hdtv is no concern get a plasma.

for the same amount of money for a 32inch lcd , you can get a grade 1 brand high quality plasma. don't underestimate plasma's, they deliver very nice :)

Yeah get a plasma. In the end if all you watch is movies, that's all you need. Just be careful with burn ins with some channels. Some people have the channels logo burnt in their plasma and there's nothing they can do about it. Stupid Channel producers really, they should know there's lots of people with Plasmas and should make the logo either movable or just not there, like in many UK TV channels...

Plasma. SD looks better on todays plasma sets than current lcds.

I must say that my parents LG lcd (the one with LED backlight) looks very poor with poor signal quality, but once you give it a good HDTV signal it's amazing. With standard pal digital tv and a good signal it's pretty good.
The current 42" 852x480 plasmas looks great with regular dvds, with HDTV signal I think the result varies abit depending on the scaling. So go ahead and buy a good low res. plasma for a good price with a good conscience. Just make sure you read up on reviews and what actual customers think of the sets before you buy it. I have a friend who just bought one and figures that by the time it's time to swap it for a different there will be alot cheaper HDTV plasmas.. not to mention HDTV content here in Sweden/Europe.

EDIT: And don't forget that you need to sit >3m away from a 42" plasma.

MPI said:
Which LG has LED backlighting?

I don't think any LCDs with LED backlighting have actually been released as yet. (Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I believe Samsung and Hitachi have also announced similar technology.

Your guess is as good as mine as to when they will finally be available - personally I'd guess it will be several months at least.

Mariner said:
I don't think any LCDs with LED backlighting have actually been released as yet. (Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I believe Samsung and Hitachi have also announced similar technology.

Your guess is as good as mine as to when they will finally be available - personally I'd guess it will be several months at least.

And even then some of the complaints he (fairly) wages against Plasma will be there as well (Heat and Power Consumption). At least until they move to duty-cycle or strobed LEDs, CCFL will remain a better choice imo.

Well, power consumption is a concern. Burn-in is also a concern...OTOH, I`m thinking about at least a 40" screen, LCD would be quite expensive...decisions,decisions:|

Mehh, I seem to do that quite often...it`s not that cool...au contraire, it tends to suck when you actually have to stare at it:)

There`s a nice Grunding 42" LCD listed on their site...I wonder how much that would cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have any available daughters that inherited their mother`s traits?:) Kidding

Back