Last of Us spoilers

Howdy HO!

Hi guys. :)

I sat down with Nate Wells at E3 and talked to him about Thief 1, SWAT 4, The Lost (unpublished Irrational Game), BioShock, BiShock Intinite, SWAT 4, ego-less development, leaving Irrational Games 6 months before Infinite shipped, starting on The Last of Us 10 months before it ships, his inspirations & a ton more. I worked hard on this lengthy interview, but undoubtedly there are improvements that can be made. Let me know what you think. It's one of my favs. Enjoy!

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/55627570901/interview-nate-wells

Really good interview. :)

Oh my. Just finished the game. So many feelings intertwined.
You know whats good for humanity but you also expect to protect the ones you love no matter what.
And at the end you dont know if telling the truth or not is what you really want to happen. Having the poor girl living in a lie for the rest of her life is tragic. Letting her die would also have been tragic. Telling her the truth would have created pain between the two and would have been tragic. Ellie's last comments at the end makes the ending tragic and you are left wondering how Joel would feel for the rest of his life after Marlene's comments have been somewhat confirmed about what Ellie would have wanted. No matter what would have happened you cant see an ending that is truly happy. F*ck!
They really nailed an ending you cant stop thinking about even if it is simple

Well, I thought...

There was no guarantee at all that the 'cure' would have worked. The Fireflies were a terrorist group trying way too hard to gain public support, they were grasping at straws, and so it was quite likely that Ellie's sacrifice would have been in vain.

Also, Ellie isn't stupid, so she probably knew that Joel was lying about something. Just think, where's her gear, where are her clothes? If everything was the way Joel told her she would've gotten those back after she was saved from drowning... and they probably would've stayed at the Fireflies base for at least as long as she woke up. No, she knew there was something wrong.

So the more interesting issue to consider is why she was willing to accept the lie.

Well, I thought...

There was no guarantee at all that the 'cure' would have worked. The Fireflies were a terrorist group trying way too hard to gain public support, they were grasping at straws, and so it was quite likely that Ellie's sacrifice would have been in vain.

Also, Ellie isn't stupid, so she probably knew that Joel was lying about something. Just think, where's her gear, where are her clothes? If everything was the way Joel told her she would've gotten those back after she was saved from drowning... and they probably would've stayed at the Fireflies base for at least as long as she woke up. No, she knew there was something wrong.

So the more interesting issue to consider is why she was willing to accept the lie.

Why she is willing to accept...and maybe how long she is willing to accept it. How long will it take until she runs away...she already said in the last dialogue that it seems to her that it is time for her. How long can Joel hold her...

Even if they had made the cure, I think the humanity in TLOU world is pretty fucked.
You can't reverse the past 20 years just like that with a vaccine.

She will stay, she needs an anchor just as much as Joel does.

Stay as in, if there's any sequel it'll probably have her as the lead character, so she may very likely go away for some quest or mission, but not abandon Joel emotionally.

Even if they had made the cure, I think the humanity in TLOU world is pretty fucked.
You can't reverse the past 20 years just like that with a vaccine.

I say the same thing about the catastrophic AIDS situation in Africa. If we ever find a cure for it, why boder sending it there? Society in africa is pretty fucked anyway.
I kid

Well, I thought...

My thoughts after having gone through the game a second time...

She definitely knows that Joel lied to her. The way that she said, "OK" was more like, "Thanks for lying to me, I expected more from you."

She basically knew her time was coming to an end even before they got to Salt Lake City. The whole part up until she saw the wonder of the giraffe had her all quiet and introverted as she came to terms with what was likely going to happen to her. One could think that she was maybe afraid Joel would leave her, but considering what happened back at the Dam, and the decision he made there, that was obviously not something she would be thinking now.

And then after he had saved her, starting with the drive in the truck through the walk towards the dam, she was again quiet and mostly non-responsive. Likely thinking about how Joel lied and working up the courage to ask him about it. But afraid that he would continue to lie to her rather than tell her the truth. And thus, when he continued to lie to her, she expressed her huge disappointment in him by the way she said, "OK" as if her life was now at an end.

I don't blame Joel for rescuing her, even if it was the height of selfishness, most people would likely have done the same. I do feel disdain and disgust for him for being a coward and lying to her. It basically shows that he doesn't view Ellie as a worthwhile human being deserving of the truth.

Regards,
SB

And then after he had saved her, starting with the drive in the truck through the walk towards the dam, she was again quiet and mostly non-responsive. Likely thinking about how Joel lied and working up the courage to ask him about it. But afraid that he would continue to lie to her rather than tell her the truth. And thus, when he continued to lie to her, she expressed her huge disappointment in him by the way she said, "OK" as if her life was now at an end.

I don't blame Joel for rescuing her, even if it was the height of selfishness, most people would likely have done the same. I do feel disdain and disgust for him for being a coward and lying to her. It basically shows that he doesn't view Ellie as a worthwhile human being deserving of the truth.

Regards,
SB

I figured Joel lied to her because he dosn't want her to know that Marlene betrayed her.
Ellie mentioned something about not having a real family, only Marlene, right before the Giraffes about how she didn't think that she would manage loosing someone who she were really close to.
Ellie made her choice when jumping after a drowning Joel despite she couldn't swim.
Her gut reaction then; were to go after Joel, not go safely to the hospital and let them try to make a cure.
Joel's gut reaction afterwards were to save Ellie.
Telling Ellie about Marlene would just hurt her.
Sometimes, what you don't know won't hurt you, but the truth might be devastating.

She basically knew her time was coming to an end even before they got to Salt Lake City. The whole part up until she saw the wonder of the giraffe had her all quiet and introverted as she came to terms with what was likely going to happen to her. One could think that she was maybe afraid Joel would leave her, but considering what happened back at the Dam, and the decision he made there, that was obviously not something she would be thinking now.
SB
I always figured that Ellie being quiet and withdrawn at that part was because of the deer on the wall, which caused her to remember her encounter with David and his group. She was out of it, didn't hear Joel talk to her, even before he said they were near the hospital.

Yeah I thought that was very obvious, the way the story just skipped ahead several months in a second, and made sure to contrast the darkness of those scenes with the brightest, sunniest, liveliest outside world possible.

Her guilt about butchering David - and thus discovering her own inner darkness - was probably still very strong at that point, that's why she jumped after Joel and that's why at that time she would have been willing to sacrifice herself for a possible cure.

Which is also why there is at least some justification in Joel's decision to rescue her and to lie to her. Ellie can recover in time, become happy again and there's an entire life ahead of her, even if she can't appreciate it at that point because of the recent trauma.

Silent Buddha just translated many of my thoughts pretty well on his last post.
It's funny that he previously compared my overly rational way of judging Joel to Nazi-like thinking, the kind of comparison I was expecting already. I had written another pretty long post at the time explaining my side, but the page bugged out and I lost it, and felt discouraged to re-write it all.
I don't like to think Ellie is quiet at the last section because she is remembering David, because Joel does say "why are you so quiet today?" This is after many months have passed after David's aftermath, so it does imply from then to now, Ellie went back to her normal self, and became quiet that one day specifically, if not Joel would not be surprised by her silence. And that's what I would expect really. David's situation sure was stressful, but jeez, Ellie had been to plenty stressful situations by then. That was sure one of the worst, but I think some people underestimate the that girl's balls (figuratively) She is pretty badass.
Anyways, calling Joel a sociopath or maniac is a little exaggerated on my part. I recognize that. Its only human to care for your family, but my point is, the natural human behavior is not always the most ethically correct one, and can sometime be very damaging in the big picture. You see, family protection is a natural instinct developed to guarantee survival of our species, and it does provide that in most natural cases, but Joel was put in a corner-case here where protecting his family actually meant fucking up the survival of his species, which should be the main goal in the end. Family comes first, but Humanity comes firster.
Regarding Nazis, I usually disagree with the conception that they were an example of perfectly justifiable rational thinking leading to horrendous inhuman actions. Nazis were indeed pretty straight forward thinking, and did base most of their actions in cold scientific thinking, but not completely. The world already had perfectly scientifically justified ethic systems at that time to stop them from taking any of their genocidal decisions. Their reasoning was selective and biased.
Putting human life in a pedestal is a very important device to maintain social order and stability. Its just generally better for everybody to see life as the most valuable thing and something that has to be valued and kept at any circumstance. Sure we can't always do things the perfect way, but as far in on history as we were past century, that is just a very good rule of thumb.
The difference between nazis sacrificing thousands of people for supposed progress on the past century and the ff sacrificing Ellie for a supposed cure for mankind is large though.
Society has gone back to a much more primitive state in the universe of the game. The modern state of affairs of resources a'plenty, and a generally confortable lifestyle affordable to people we are used to today (and which the world was used to already by the time Nazis started going looney) does not exist anymore in the universe of LoU. And human's life value had already fell to the ground way before it was up to Joel to decide Ellie's fate. Be it by the hands of murderous groups like the ones we fight in the game, or in quarantine zones which still have some sort of formal government, people are killed all the time. The game takes place in a world in which, unfortunately, people can't afford to guarantee the type of sacred valuing of human life we grew accustomed to on modern society.
Joel did do what was natural to any "father", but when it's the fate of humanity you are talking about, I think you have to calm your fucking self down and take some cold decisions, as hard as it might be. If the thinking was that saving Ellie was actually the best from the point of view of attaining a cure, then I can side with him. I still don't like the way he lied to Ellie. If he thinks the FF were being clumsy and would compromise the cure with doubtful procedures, then he should have said just that to her. She might be young but she is no silly child anymore. Nobody at her age probably is on that kind of world, but her specially given the kind of shit she wen't through. Joel seems like he acted on impulse. An understandable behavior, but not the ideal one in my opinion.
Of course, my whole argumentation deals with many moral and ethical concepts which are not so clear cut, and are up to discussion, but I like to think I'm at least a little reasonable and consistent with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

She definitely knows that Joel lied to her. The way that she said, "OK" was more like, "Thanks for lying to me, I expected more from you."

Regards,
SB

Hm, I am not sure if the conclusion that he does not see Ellie as a worthwhile human is correct.

Another guess would be that he has developed 'father feelings' for her. It is an obvious transition you could see during the last sections of the game, everything points towards this. So, suppose he has father feelings, maybe the reason he lied is a simple one: he knew, or he feared that if he tells her the truth, she might not like it and will run away to find the Fireflies on her own to sacrifice herself...

Sure he has fatherly feelings. But he is simply a bad father. A posessive and over-protective one. Much like he probably was like to his brother, which just said his years with Joel were the worst of his life.

Sure he has fatherly feelings. But he is simply a bad father. A posessive and over-protective one. Much like he probably was like to his brother, which just said his years with Joel were the worst of his life.

Yeah, he is not the best father...note that at the beginning if the game, his daughter was alone at home. But he has strong feelings for Ellie and he knows her behavior well.

Also, I think that his brother said this not because of how Joel treated him, but because of what they did together (note that Joel told Ellie that 'he was on both sides' when she asked him why he did know that it is a ambush. And he did not answer when she asked if he killed a lot of innocent people back then).

Its not as simple as getting calmed down to save humanity.

Ellie from some unknown individual he had no connection with, he begun to know and feel her as a very close person. He had seen her pain, he had seen her struggles and insecurities, they saved each other many times up to the point that it wasnt about "getting a vaccine to a destination". It was about them caring for each other. I doubt Ellie would have left Joel die for any reason either. We have seen her efforts to save him when he almost got fatally wounded.

You just cant let someone die who have saved you and put his/her life into such a risk. He owed her and she owed him.

Letting her die would have been like failing to save his daughter one more time. The scene when Joel says something to Ellie along the lines "I am done with surviving" you see him touch his watch. Its a reference to that. It wasnt a selfish act so he could have a dream life with a substitute of his daughter.
He wanted to do things right this time. It is no coincidence that the director of the story symbolically put Joel in a very similar scene as the one before his daughter got shot near the end of the game.

Think about it . Its an extremely similar scene. He was running with his injured daughter at the beginning, dodging the chaos and the infected just as he was running away from the fireflies and dodging bullets at the epilogue. He was reliving the past

He reached a similar case where he was holding the girl (Sarah/Ellie) and he was pointed a gun at. Where he could not make things right at the game's intro and Sarah died, now he relived that situation and had the opportunity to do things differently for Ellie. Now with a gun in his hand he saved Ellie whose life might have been sacrificed in vain also. It was the equivalent of a catharsis that came more than 10 years later

Back