Large demos and torrents

Aerows

Regular
This question sort of entered my head when I was in the games section and someone mentioned that a demo for Overlord had been released. It seemed kind of fun, so I went to download it only to find that the demo was well over 1GB and the download speed from filefront was roughly the speed of molasses flowing in winter. I couldn't find it on Steam, but I did manage to find a torrent for the demo. I wouldn't post a link to the torrent, since a) I don't want to encourage their use due to the many illegal uses people put them to, and b) I really don't want to get into trouble :LOL: nor give the impression that I am hinting anything (BTW - I'm not - this is only for the 1GB demo that is floating around).

Is it okay to even mention that there is a torrent out there for a freely available demo? In some respects, this could be abused in the sense that people can use it to insinuate or use innuendo to discuss pirated material, but on the other hand, the size of demos has gotten pretty outrageous to download via http.

This is a gray area, so I wanted to ask here rather than in a post about this demo to avoid trouble and/or the appearance of wrongdoing.

Linking to a questionable site, or a torrent on a questionable site, is clearly not something any of us want to see happen, but what about just mentioning that such demo software or a large linux distro is available via torrent?

I wish manufacturers would just provide a torrent link, though I understand why some are reluctant to do so. It is very handy, but obviously can be abused.

Mentioning or even posting torrents for demos/distros is fine. It's just another distribution method, there content is what makes it legal/illegal/good/bad.

It's just you can't link to illegal/bad content here, no matter how it's downloaded....but torrents are just spiffy for demos and such.

Mentioning or even posting torrents for demos/distros is fine. It's just another distribution method, there content is what makes it legal/illegal/good/bad.

It's just you can't link to illegal/bad content here, no matter how it's downloaded....but torrents are just spiffy for demos and such.

For a demo that is > 1GB, they should at least release them to a modern distribution format! I still wonder about upping/linking to them - I wouldn't up/link to a questionable torrent or a questionable site hosting them, but not everyone is loaded down with common sense :LOL:.

They've been doing that for large demos for around a year now. They'll offer the direct download, but also a torrent if you don't want to wait.

Richard, that rocks, thank you!

P.S. I'm about to fire up the Overlord demo, and see if it I like it :D

Wow, a torrent conversation that didn't go to "The Bad Place" (TM) nearly immediately? Congrats guys, I'll treasure it for always. :smile:

Back