King's Quest 2015 [PS3, PS4, 360, XB1]

MrFox

Deludedly Fantastic
Legend
No thread about King's Quest?

This is my unexpected surprise of the year. Good animation, great music, great voice acting. It's nice to see a high production value in such a low cost game. I just finished a second play though, pretty good click-adventure game for the price, and it has replay value because there seems to be three different story paths which trigger different scenes and dialogs.

It's a very childish storytelling (similar to the originals), but incredibly well written, great pacing, characters, humor, three themes overlapped, framed story, everything works. The humor and tropes feel very close to the originals. I remember playing and and finishing King Quest 1, 2, 3, 4, and this is my childhood. I think the game successfully exposes what we lost from that era, they really nailed it with an overload of nostalgia. There's a cleverness and simplicity in the puzzles that requires an understanding and anticipation of the situations, which is something we don't have anymore. No map. No hints. No objectives.

The story have plot setup for the upcoming chapters so this is shaping up to be a nice series. I hope they'll have enough revenue for the sequels... and fingers crossed for a Space Quest reboot.

I played the first three games on the Amiga and enjoyed them.

Been wanting this, but have been saving money for Batman Arkham Knight instead. Might pull the trigger later when it drops in price. Did you get all 5 chapters & the epilogue?

BTW, my first PC color game was the original King's Quest for the IBM PCjr. I think I still have it storage. :)

Tommy McCain

I bought the whole set, but I had no idea only the first episode was available now. The others are planned for release periodically across 2015 and 2016. Have I known, I would have just paid $10 for the first episode. The collection isn't that much of a good deal considering it might drop in price anyway.

Unless the upcoming episodes cost more, they better reward those who bought the whole set. I deserve a medal. Something.

I played the originals on a Tandy 1000, which was a PCjr clone. It could display 16 colors!

Free game on PS+ for december.

I wonder who will enjoy it among the younger generation though, or anyone who didn't play the originals, there's already a clusterfuck of whining on the psblog.... The "princess bride" narrative structure and references will be more appreciated by adults with children I guess, and the game journalists giving it great reviews were familiar with the source material.

Finished Chapter 1 last night. Loved it. I bought it back during the December Countdown sale for $1.50 for Gold members. Had to play it all the way through twice
& part of a third in order to get all the achievements. Which wasn't a big deal since it was interesting to see how different choices affected the story. Anybody play Chapter 2? Is it worth buying now or should I wait for another sale on the Complete Collection? I'm trying to decide if I should continue buying it piecemeal or get the Complete Collection later. The Epilogue is only included with the Complete Collection & not the Season Pass, so that seems like the better value, but I'll need to wait a bit longer for a deal.

Tommy McClain

Back