Kameo?

I wonder if any of you who has played this one what you think of it etz? Is it more a adventure ala SFA @ GC, well the colors and so reminded me of that one. Is this worth picking up or?

Positives:

• Excellent Combat Mechanics
  • Amazing Music
  • Best Graphics on 360 so far
  • Interesting characters and environments
  • Great boss battles
  • Always something to do, never a dull moment

Negatives:

• So-so storyline
  • The game is good, but it doesn't last long if you just rush through it and do no side quests. About 15 hours or so of fun to be had though. :)
  • The underwater controls are very disorienting (thankfully this is only a small portion of the game)

A very solid 8.5/10 game. Definitely a must have of the 360 launch titles. As long as you learn the intricacies of the combat engine I promise you'll have tons of fun and great replay value.

overclocked said:
I wonder if any of you who has played this one what you think of it etz? Is it more a adventure ala SFA @ GC, well the colors and so reminded me of that one. Is this worth picking up or?

It's definately worth picking up, I have clocked around 10h now and I think it's very solid game the gameplay is fairly simple and it's not very hard by any means, the worlds are rich and colourful and it's fun to just explore the environments and amaze the beauty of it, this game looks stunning!. Some of the characters aren't used very much, but other than that there isn't much that I can complain.

kameo35cs.jpg

I finished it yesterday, and find myself generally agreeing with Hardknock.
The graphics are great (e.g. the (repetitive) Shadow Troll fights), although sometimes I feel they tried to cram every effect and colour known to mankind into it, which sometimes is a little jarring, but when it works (which is most of the time), it looks amazing. The characters are animated extremely well and loading times are pleasantly short.
It's more an action adventure I would think, the focus is definitely on combat, although there are always platforming / puzzling intermezzos. I find the whole progression system (inaccessible areas become reachable after upgrades / new characters become available) very reminiscent of Metroid Prime, although it is nowhere near as hard and doesn't involve backtracking. It still presents a good challenge, though (if you turn the hint-giving book off, as I did).

I would give it 7.5 - 8 on a 10 point scale.

It plays and feels very much like Fable, without the hype of someone claiming it will be the ultimate RPG.

I also would agree with Hardknock. He has hit the nail on the head.

Please excuse how blurry this screen is, looks a lot better in person, but you can clearly see all the effects going on in the background and the lighting. This is one of the bosses:

picture1506b7ez.jpg

To give scope on how big he is, that hammer he has is about 5 times bigger than Kameo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I got my fill of rare platformers with forced character switches with donkey kong 64 (and flawed rare boss battles with diddy kong racing). I personally thought kameo was technically a much better game than PD0, but gameplay was still terrible. At least there's not 90 billion objects spread out across the game that needs to be collected in order to proceed... Phew, always something to feel good about. ;)

Not sure, maybe I've outgrown the platforming game genre as a whole. I didn't like Zelda:WW either, so now I'm very hesitant to buy the upcoming reincarnation...

Please tell me Kameo isn't the jaggy shimmering mess that I've seen in a couple of demo pods.
I finally was able to sample a couple of them pods, with Kameo, and I was really surprised the game looked awfully jaggy and shimmery, like a first gen PS2 game!
Hnestly, it looked horrible. Not a good first impression really.

Now, I'm positive it's because of wrong settings in either/both the Samsung telly and the xbox360, and the game being an unfinished demo, but playing it for a couple of minutes (that was all I could bear looking at it) left me wondering what all the fuss is about.
The screenshots of the game (apparently those of peoples actual gaming setups, not the PR pics) look so much better, it just must be some of the demo pods displaying wrong resolution.

Those demo pods sure aren't going to draw people in buying the box, I personally have yet no other experience from the xbox360 but these two badly set up demo pods, and based on the experience I sure wouldn't be buying an xbox360.
I had read about this in the forums before, but never thought the degration in image quality would be so serious!
MS will be losing a lot of potential customers if they don't get them fixed ASAP!

Anyone that played it on both SD and HD tvs? If so whats the impression between it?
I can always hook it up on the monitor as its large but i rather wait then to buy that stupid cabel that MS should include in the premium. Well atleast 350Euro was a good deal for premium anyway.

overclocked said:
Anyone that played it on both SD and HD tvs? If so whats the impression between it?
I can always hook it up on the monitor as its large but i rather wait then to buy that stupid cabel that MS should include in the premium. Well atleast 350Euro was a good deal for premium anyway.

very few people need vga cables , would have cost ms more for a small group of people .

Anyway . I've played it on both sd and hd tv sets .

The image quality is much better on the hd set , however the graphics still blow away every platformer form last gen away . From the colors to the lighting effects its just way above anything .

So, is the jaggie shimmery problem only with the demopod Kameo, can you reproduce similar bad quality with the retail version of the game if you have wrong settings on your tv and/or xbox360?
What exactly do you need to have set up wrong to get such bad quality, is it enough if you only leave the xbox360 video settings to 480i even though the TV is set up at 720p.

Kameo I expected to be a good game and it didn't disappoint. The gameplsy is fun but my only gripe is that the game has a strategy guide embedded. Some puzzles are too easy and the hard ones you can refer to the Wotnot or scrolls for help.

But the opposite side of the coin is that you'll never ever get stuck. So that's a good I suppose.

God the water controls really sucked. At least Hardknock said it's short. Everything else in his bullet points are right about the game.

As soon as my 360 comes back I'm going to finish this game. It had locking up troubles the most but the game saves very frequently so progress is never lost! I'll put that down as a good point, it saves often!

I thought the water level was fun, the only time I lost my nerves when I had slide those icy slopes with 40 below, I dropped down almost 20 times and the checkpoint is just a little bit too far. There are some minor control issues from time to time, but other than that I have been happy with it.

bouy said:
Kameo I expected to be a good game and it didn't disappoint. The gameplsy is fun but my only gripe is that the game has a strategy guide embedded. Some puzzles are too easy and the hard ones you can refer to the Wotnot or scrolls for help.
<Possible spoiler in text, but the game probably spoiled it for you already>

Tell me about it! I got so pissed off in an early level (where you shoot the four trees). I have turned off adaptive help, just because I like to solve the puzzles myself and heard that it was overly aggressive. So I searched for quite a while to figure out how to open the gate and finally realized that I should try to shoot the trees. So I shoot one, then the other, then the other, but I notice that it wasn't fast enough and before I could make the connection that I need to hit them all at once the dam help system pops up and says, "You need to hit them all at once." This completely ruined any sense of accomplishment I might actually have felt...

Still absolutely love this game though, even with that glaring flaw.

.Sis

Rabit the game is not jaggy at all, so it must have been the setup on the demo unit in the shop. The clear picture posted in thread is a true representation of how it looks at 720p.

The game looks fantastic and i think if they chose a more 'realistic' art direction instead of the color pallette and cartoony style i think people would have responded much better to it. Regardless, you dont really appreciate how good the grfx are until you play it in person IMO.

Back