K9grass

Exactly how environmentally unsafe are those "anti-microbial agents"? Pretty darn, I'm willing to wager. If it's something like triclosan for example, it'll help build resistance in bacteria and such, whilst causing damage to water-living organisms such as molluscs etc. These are very sensitive to triclosan.

I personally wouldn't put my own convenience and comfort so much above the well-being of the planet as to go and install an unnatural and unneccessary product such as this in my garden.

digitalwanderer said:
<sigh>

Ok, so I'm thinking of trying something new for the backyard this year....anyone have any experience with K9grass?
No.

But really ... think this through. I don't think it's such a brilliant idea.

How is this stuff fixed in place? What will go on underneath? How long will it last, and how long will it look okay?

IMO after one year you'll end up not only with a sorry attempt at grassy visuals but it will "float" on a layer of slippery rotten plant things and mud. It will smell bad. It will feel like a waterbed when stepped on.

Also IMO the only practical way to apply that stuff is to lay it on real grass to hold it in place with the traction that will provide. Totally pointless.

Are you just really tired of mowing the lawn or how come you're interested in this sort of thing? :-|

Guden Oden said:
Exactly how environmentally unsafe are those "anti-microbial agents"? Pretty darn, I'm willing to wager. If it's something like triclosan for example, it'll help build resistance in bacteria and such, whilst causing damage to water-living organisms such as molluscs etc. These are very sensitive to triclosan.

I personally wouldn't put my own convenience and comfort so much above the well-being of the planet as to go and install an unnatural and unneccessary product such as this in my garden.

It uses something called AlphaSan. I looked around, and couldn't find anything mentioning harmful affects on the environment.

This grass does look pretty interesting. I get tired of tearing up dead sections of the lawn every spring, due to our dogs' urine killing the grass. There's all sorts of things that are supposed to help with this, but nothing really works. I'm guessing this stuff is hella expensive though, and would probably only be worth it if you ran a kennel or something where your yard is beaten down to nothing but dirt.

They lay down a 4" base of crushed aggragate to absorb/drain liquids, and you pick up the dog shit and hose down the lawn.

I'm really tempted by it, the dogs always just kill the grass in our backyard...I'm gonna at least get an estimate. :)

JBark said:
I'm guessing this stuff is hella expensive though, and would probably only be worth it if you ran a kennel or something where your yard is beaten down to nothing but dirt.
My backyard is beaten down to pretty much nothing but dirt. :???:

Have you tried looking at plain old turf? I don't think it's antibiotic or anything so that problems gone... You might have to even out the filler now and then, but it would last forever... I know they but some on the field down at the high school here and it's supposed to last something like 30 years being used for like 8 hours a day...

However the football field was a little over $1,200,000. It might have been a little more since there were lines that needed to line up, and I know there was a logo in the middle that was $50,000, but even say the lines added $100,000 and the logo wasn't there it's $1,050,000, a little high for a back yard :).

San Jose's Dog Parks use this

They lay a drain and 3 feet of pebbles I was told.
These parks get alot of use and alot of dogs daily.
Every week volunteers hose of the turf. The poop is picked up by the owners as it
happens. The grass looks nice and shows no sign of wear.
Here in Silicon Valley where everything seems to be more expensive I wonder what the
cost would be.
A lady at the dog park got a quote for 5,000 for not the dog kind but fake grass.
She said she had a very small yard and it was 5,000!
My brother lives in Phoniex and put it in his yard and I doubt it cost him that much.
I would be interested to see how much it would cost also

Back