Just Cause 2

Tap In

Legend
preview with screens

I loved the first (considering how long ago it was released) and the graphics were breathtaking at times although clearly drawn form last gen. these graphics and game play improvements (if they work) seem to me to be a substantial upgrade to a sweet sandbox game.

Looks pretty good, new aiming, huge world, grappling hook (yea!) stunts, new AI... Fall 09 hopefully (PS3 360)

....Approaching that aforementioned military base, for instance, might see you progress from lush forestry, over wide-open desert and finally up into ice-covered mountain tops. It's a David Attenborough series in 40 seconds. Throughout, the view distances are incredible: it's a huge and beautiful game world. As you get close to the base, you can either careen in close with your chopper, gracefully pirouette in with Rico's trademark parachute or do the Spider-Man thing with his almighty grappling hook. "Rico's move set enables you to do things that you can't do in any other game," reckons Johansson. ...

"The grappling hook can, for example, be used to quickly move around, pull enemies down from guard towers, suspend enemies under a bridge - or from a lamppost - or lift a car with a helicopter and use it as a wrecking ball. In combination with the parachute, the grappling hook enables you to do stunts you've never done before and you can experiment, finding your own tactics and play style. What happens if you tether two helicopters together, for instance, or try to pull down a presidential monument by dragging it behind a jeep?" ...

the key areas we wanted to improve," says Johansson. "First and foremost, we've worked very hard on making sure our huge game world is filled to the brim with content. The chaos system gives you an unprecedented freedom to find your own path through the game. Regardless of if you're playing a mission, traveling to an employer, exploring the beautiful environment or simply playing around, there're always activities and opportunities for chaos all around you.

screens

Looks sweet ,the first one is not bad I have it for PC since it was on a mags bonus DVD and play a bit from time to time although it keeps crashing a lot.

I had the 360 version so long ago. Beautiful game, and this one looks even better. The trailer quells my fears of it being more realistic. It's more ridiculous this time around :D

Yeah, but I loved the cinematic feeling JC had. I want more of that, but also with deeper gameplay.

Well, the first one felt shallow to me, I left after a few missions. But this one is looking COOL !

Hope they keep the focus on the gameplay, and design missions which really take adevantage of the unique gameplay elements of JC ! Story being done by Matt Castello can be said to be in safe hands. He is a very thorough person with a very refined method of story making, but considering how his stories came out in Doom 3 and Pirates of the Carribean, I hope he gets more say in the project this time around. Working with him shows that he is a very good story writer and a very good mentor !

I am sure Humus can tell us more, He must be hiding a lot of stuff behind that big green Grin :D !

nice find thanks

man that grappling hook looks even better... good fun,, if they can keep the missions fun and the gun play works.... I'll be pleased

sweet! thanks

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/just-cause-2-e32009-preview

...snip...

"The grapple hook attaches to anything with collision now - buildings, trees and even people," says Johansson. "There are no grapple points whatsoever, so you're really free to work on your own tactical style."

Rico's new favourite toy can also be used to tether things together. To demonstrate this, Johansson uses it to attach an enemy to a telephone pole and hoist him off the ground. Then he starts machinegunning away. The man shrieks as his body jiggles about in the air, like a puppet on a string. An electrically charged string. Made of pain.
The island of Panau, where talk is cheap and machineguns are very reasonably priced actually.

Other inventive ways to commit murder with the grapple include tethering a man to an oil barrel, then dragging the two towards each other before blowing up the barrel and by association the man. "My personal favourite use of the grapple? You can lift a jeep under a helicopter and use it as a wrecking ball," says Johansson. We don't get to see this in action, unfortunately.
The grapple isn't just there for the nasty things in life, like hooking a man up to a blocked drain and shooting him in the legs till they look like ketchup-covered dog food. It's also handy for getting around the South-East Asian island of Panau, where Just Cause 2 is set.
At around 400 square miles the island is massive, but that's not necessarily a good thing. One of the biggest complaints about the first Just Cause was the amount of traipsing around you had to do, covering large tracts of dull terrain between missions. The gameworld in Just Cause 2 is still huge, but now there's a lot more work to be getting on with.
Even more convenient for getting around than an Oyster card.

"To give you an idea of just how big the world is and how much there is to do, this is the entire map of Panau," says Johansson. A top-down view of the island appears on the screen. "This area here," he continues, pointing to a tiny dot in the bottom left hand corner, "Is the harbour area where you just saw me play through that entire mission." There are gasps from the demo audience. Listening back to the dictaphone recording later you can hear one person go, "Wow.

But that's the whole point about Just Cause - no one's ever pretended this is the series to go for if you want a gritty, authentic simulation of real-world military combat. Just Cause is about big guns and silly stunts and cartoon kills and huge explosions. It's about cruising in a super-fast speedboat across a beautiful tropical sea, then zooming up a beach and off a ramp and parachuting into the azure sky, as the speedboat heads straight into a giant oil tank and explodes in a cloud of fire and thunder.
Avalanche hasn't lost sight of this, thankfully, and it's clear they're working hard to fix the problems with the first game. Just Cause 2 certainly looks prettier than its predecessor, and judging by the map it's bigger. But perhaps the key to making it better is really to focus on what this series is all about - and make it stupider. So far, so good.
:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the 10min vid last week. Looks like great fun.

Only complaint is the weapon fire sounds week and the explosions sound really week. Hopefully they can give it more resonance.

I keep telling myself to buy the original off of Steam ($15 US) but I want to be cheap but I also want to get Mass Effect too and right at the moment I kinda want to reinstall WoW since I only played it for the first two months after I bought it back in '06 which would involve a $30 2-month card. Kinda itchin for some large scale WoW style adventure that isn't one of those crappy free MMOs.

Just Cause 2 was free on PS+ so I'm playing through and I'm really impressed by its scale, map is huge, game is fun and without trying to be realistic (IMO good thing), graphics are very good considering its size and also framerate is solid, GTA should take some notes here.

Back