JRPG fans: get Xenosaga ep. 3

I just got this game yesterday and I've been blown away. As someone who barely tolerated episode 2, I can't believe how much Namco listened to their fans and refined this game.

* It has some of the best graphics I've seen on PS2. The lighting looks amazingly natural. XS3 has some of the most convincing City and Forest environments I've seen this generation.
* No more 5+ minute random battles. Battles are now extremely quick, have plenty of eye-candy, and still involve a little strategy. They also load instantly, unlike Ep. 2.
* No ridiculous G2 campaign.
* Excellent music. No more "department store of the future" music like Ep. 2 had. The opening dungeon has a jazz/big band/electronica type song and it's awesome.
* The story has me hooked so far. From what I hear, it manages to tie up all the loose ends from the previous episodes.
* Characters once again have their own unique skill trees.
* Money, shops, and equippable items/weapons are back.

Do we have any Xenosaga/Xenogears fans here?

I've been waiting for Episode 2 to drop in price before playing through - it now has, and I will now be playing through. ;)

XenoSaga rules - I only lament never having played XenoGears on the PS1. Looking forward to blowing through episode 2 and getting 3.

XenoSaga rules - I only lament never having played XenoGears on the PS1. Looking forward to blowing through episode 2 and getting 3.

You haven't played Xenogears? You owe it to yourself to play it. As big of a Xenosaga fan as I am, I have to say that everything Xenosaga does, Xenogears did better. Better and more epic plot, better battle system, cooler characters, better music (all done by Yasunori Mitsuda, he did Chrono Trigger, as well as a couple songs for Xenosaga). Track down a copy by any means necessary.

That is kind of cool that you haven't played it yet, I suppose. You will see Xenogears in a completely different light when you play it.

Haha what a coincidence I just finished 2 today. Unfortunately in EU they didnt release the first. Instead they had an extra DVD that showed the first episode's story.

I am definetely getting 3 when its released over my place.

Btw what happened to Kingdom Hearts2? Was it released outside Japan?

I'm a big Xenosaga fan, though Ep2 was not nearly as great as Ep 1 IMHO. Still, it's too bad they won't be able to finish the saga as originally envisioned, especially after I've been hearing so many good things about Ep3. (Mostly on RPGamer and now here as well)

* Excellent music
Not surprising at all, as it's by Yuki Kajiura! I still listen to her Noir and .hack//SIGN OSTs at least once a week, and I've had those for years now!

You haven't played Xenogears? You owe it to yourself to play it.

No I know, it's supposedly 'the one' - and a lot of peoples top RPG period. I hear it's got the philosophy, the mood, the emotion all in there in a perfect package. I actually ordered it once (tracked it down online a couple of years ago), but they cancelled my order - rather I did once I was told it was back-ordered.

But what, it's supposed to be episode 5 or something in the ovearching plotline, right? So yeah, I'll just save it for last. :cool:

I'll play it upscaled at 1080p on my PS3! :p

Not surprising at all, as it's by Yuki Kajiura! I still listen to her Noir and .hack//SIGN OSTs at least once a week, and I've had those for years now!

I'm not familiar with her other work, but I'm very impressed with her XS3 soundtrack. There are some beautiful, haunting songs on here. I hope she does more game soundtracks in the future.

xbdestroya said:
But what, it's supposed to be episode 5 or something in the ovearching plotline, right? So yeah, I'll just save it for last.

Yup. Xenosaga 1-3 all comprise the "unofficial" Xenogears episode 1. Xenogears slowly reveals the story of the past 4 episodes over the course of the game.

It's just weird, though. There are a lot of scenes that are supposed to be enigmatic in Xenogears, but you will probably understand a few of them right away. There are also lots of homages to Xenogears in Xenosaga (particularly ep 3) but you will be seeing them in reverse order. It's definitely a unique perspective to have!

Man, all this Xenogears talk makes me want to play it again. Right after I finish episode 3 . . .

Back