Izumi Kawanishi New Interview

Also, big declaration is EE+GS being in the current PS3s. That's quite an architectural addition. If the chips (or rather chip) are as from PS2, what bus do they use to access the RAM? Or is PS2's RAM included too? Surely the GS includes PS2's eDRAM.

Oh, and memory reserved for the browser? Could that mean I can pause my game, switch to XMB, go to some cheat website to look up hints and tips, and then alternate between the game and the website? That'd be a nice feature, far more convenient then having to stop the game and go load up the PC to browse such info!

I honestly doubt that will happen though. Apart from having the browser library in memory, that would also require memory for the actual browser to run, so the game should allow some memory to be swapped out at all times, any time you can pause the game. Maybe that's taken care of, though, who knows? But otherwise I think you'd have to save your game, browse, and get back in most of the time, unless a game supports it specifically. I do think it's possible, but I have no idea if Sony made sufficient provisions for this to be possible. Maybe though, they did - we'll see.

One of the more important reasons that the browser is in memory is because games are in fact going to use it a lot - you'll be able to purchase online stuff through the browser, and they can offer their own website as a portal in the game to all sorts of additional stuff as well. But it's up to the developer I think how far they are going to allow you to go with that. But in general it should be quite powerful ... We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Oh, and memory reserved for the browser? Could that mean I can pause my game, switch to XMB, go to some cheat website to look up hints and tips, and then alternate between the game and the website? That'd be a nice feature, far more convenient then having to stop the game and go load up the PC to browse such info!

It would be very nice, although I don't think it'll be in there on day one (the XMB doesn't seem accessible at all right now in-game, AFAIK). Though if the resources are there for it and reserved for it, it would be nice at some point (soon!).

64MB for the internet browser. This is not a total number. 32MB is being used for other things ;)
Not just the browser.
+ The web browser can open up to 6 pages simultaneously. 64MB memory is always reserved for the browser, the instant messenger and other XMB OS activity even while in game.
We always knew the 90mb number might get smaller, we just did not know how much until now.

That sounds like a plausible scenario. But honestly how many times would you use such a feature? Besides cheat code lookup, why else would I need a browser running in the backgroudn while I play my games?

I'd much rather have that memory available to developers.

Arwin:
I'm personally very disappointed in hearing that DVDs and BluRay discs won't be watcheable through the PSP remote function.

I think that over time PSP homebrew scene will make some sort of Linux PS3-DVD streaming via wifi...

-The picture/audio quality for video playback is excellent. Though Cell does not do much postprocessing right now, they are doing research for it.

This will be interesting as Cell should be able to outperform any video decoder in any BR player.

-The web browser can open up to 6 pages simultaneously. 64MB memory is always reserved for the browser, the instant messenger and other XMB OS activity even while in game.

Man the OS requirment have really gone down, better more efficent programming at work here?

Hang on, I take my words back. I forget that the OS is actually on flash, so the 64mb is purely for being able to run OS built in applications - so you are right, Shifty, this does mean you can start up the browser right in the middle of the game. I didn't think it through properly.

Good stuff, plenty of room for growth, I'd say.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20061110/sonet.htm
sonet.jpg

can we get a translation on this?

working you multilingual people overtime. :LOL:

cool, thanks one. :)
Will it be just trailers or more lengthy material?

Sounds like trailers and 'animation' - it seems to mention some specific animation that'll be up there, but I can't be sure. Sony Pictures, Warner Entertainment Japan and a couple of others are providing content.

New Game - Game Archives - (can't read the first kanji much too blurry) Items - Video

"Coming Soon" Items ?

Hardknock said:
That sounds like a plausible scenario. But honestly how many times would you use such a feature? Besides cheat code lookup, why else would I need a browser running in the backgroudn while I play my games?

I'd much rather have that memory available to developers.

Besides cheat code and walkthroughs (which I use a lot when I'm too busy and yet I want to play a long RPG), the versatile web browser may serve other functions for current and future Playstation Network integration.

e.g., game-item on demand in the middle of a fight for lesser gamers like me... like how Trinity requested for a "How to pilot a helicopter ?" clip in Matrix :D

one said:
That's So-net (Sony owned ISP in Japan) starts free 1080p/720p HDTV movie download service (H.264 @ 8Mbps) at http://www.p-tv.jp/HD/ exclusively for the PS3 on 11.11.

This is great ! But they need to do it in a more consolidated fashion.

The web browser can open up to 6 pages simultaneously. 64MB memory is always reserved for the browser, the instant messenger and other XMB OS activity even while in game.

So the OS won't take up an SPE? I heard back then that, the OS will take up an SPE, or something like that

So the OS won't take up an SPE? I heard back then that, the OS will take up an SPE, or something like that
That is the OS using a SPE! As well as reserving 64 MB of RAM for browser, messaging, etc., it also reserves a SPE, as I understand it anyway.

Back