Iwata explains why Nintendo picked PICA200 for 3DS

Well one of Nintendo's long term partners is Sharp. So what?

Um, I wasn't making some kind of point, I was just giving more information since we were all talking about suppliers.

I don't have some kind of source on it right now, I do remember a quote regarding GBA's graphics design and I definitely had my suspicions confirmed via DS for something. I'll have to dig these things up.

I'm sure they're not using holographic storage to achieve 2GB of storage. They may be using flash now, maybe flash that has been made non-reprogrammable entirely or in all but a save game section... getting this density of NAND flash is probably cheaper than making unique mask ROMs for every game.
I don't think that's the case. The per-bit cost of large-scale-runs mask ROM remains unbeatable among all rom tech, but it's the production cycle that is often a problem there, i.e. it can't be as quick as other types of rom, or generally forms of memory used as rom. I'll see if I can find some links to back that up (I remember reading analysis reports on that), but don't hold your breath waiting.

I don't think that's the case. The per-bit cost of large-scale-runs mask ROM remains unbeatable among all rom tech, but it's the production cycle that is often a problem there, i.e. it can't be as quick as other types of rom, or generally forms of memory used as rom. I'll see if I can find some links to back that up (I remember reading analysis reports on that), but don't hold your breath waiting.

You're right, I was wrong about the cost/density. So it won't be the case asymptotically, no.. but there's bound to be a cutoff point in lower volume where flash is cheaper. All I know is that to make Nintendo DS games you have to pay through the nose for ROMs (compared to cost of NAND), but that's probably more Nintendo's licensing costs.

However, the extra cost of including a separate NVRAM chip in almost every game has got to skew things at least a little.

Back