It looks like the 80GB PS3 is real

iceberg187

Regular
ps3_80gb_spy.jpg

Looks like it could be a phony, but given that they've filed a patent for this and Kotaku did break the Elite story, I thought that this deserved a fair shot.

s the 80 GB version of the PLAYSTATION 3 coming sooner than previously thought? It's possible.

We first broke news of the "elite" version of the PS3 nearly a month ago, based on a filing with the Federal Communications Commission and a tip from a reader, the first indication a new version was on the way.

Adding more fuel to the fire was Sony Computer Entertainment America's decision to phase out the 20GB model and Sony spokesperson Satoshi Fukuoka confirming that the company was looking at larger hard disks.

Then this shot, of which we are rightly suspicious but believe to be (gulp!) real, shows up in my mailbox showing a new model number (98004) and a larger hard drive spec (80 gigabytes/80 gigaoctets). According to the box, virtually nothing has changed save the HDD, and based on the dual-language descriptors, it looks to be a Canadian model.

Based on the quality of the shots and the lack of official confirmation from Sony, we're still calling this rumor for now. Michael McWhertor

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely it's as people have been saying because apparantly vendors aren't making as much 60GB size anymore. It's probably a dying breed.

Threrefore Sony is just switching to 80 because that's what the vendors are giving. Very minor.

Nothing else will change, not really a new sku. If they wanted to do something strategic with this move, they'd at least have trumped the 360 Elite's size. It's a logistical move.

I can't understand how they are going to introduce this...

Assuming there is no price increase (which there better not be), and assuming the 60 doesn't get a price drop to compensate (which I personally doubt) retailers are not going to like this, as they will have 60s and 80s on the same shelf for the same price - unless they ignore rrp and put on their own premium.

[edit]
is that an extra cable? power, charging, video... what else am I missing?
[edit2]
doh network :)

Most likely it's as people have been saying because apparantly vendors aren't making as much 60GB size anymore. It's probably a dying breed.

Threrefore Sony is just switching to 80 because that's what the vendors are giving. Very minor.

Yup, that is most likely it. It's not the first time this has been done. The original Xbox 8gb drive was switched to a 10gb during its life because supplies of the original died out, although they kept formatting it to be the same size as the original unit so no one would freak out.

In any case, it's trivial to swap the PS3's hard drive to any size you want (I have a 160gb in mine), so it's not really a big deal.

if its just 20 more gb that is very stupid.
It would make sense if they changed something and used the 80GB as an easy differentiator.

1: "Is that still the version with the full EE+GS chipset built in?" - Store clerk: "Uhh. Err."
2: "Is that the 80 gig version?"

Along these lines, it would make sense. I agree with you though ;)

In what way? It's not like you have to buy an overpriced HDD add-on.

Whats this have to do with Xbox 360? If it turns out true i just totally fail to see the point. They nuked a $500 SKU for a stupid reason then continue the march by adding 20 more gig to an HDD that was already plenty big? I havent seen people crying for more Hard Disk space, even on the 20Gig model, what are you going to need it all for this soon? Not to mention the obvious thing being that all the units are upgradable when it comes to the HDDs. This makes absolutly zero sense to me if all they did was increase the HDD size.

How would it look if microsoft removed the Core then launched the Elite? Thats basically what this looks like to me. Course we dont know if this is a sign that the 60gb will be getting a small price drop or if the 80gb model will be a SKU for more then $600. The latter in my opinion would be simple insult to injury. An added issue is if this takes over the $600 catagory and the 60gb gets a price drop what kind of message is that to early adopters? It hasnt even been out half a year yet.

I think im stating the obvious. Simply adding more HDD space is quite simply random, and totally without thought. They should be planning strategically about what to do to make the current SKU more appealing, not adding another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats this have to do with Xbox 360? If it turns out true i just totally fail to see the point. They nuked a $500 SKU for a stupid reason then continue the march by adding 20 more gig to an HDD that was already plenty big? I havent seen people crying for more Hard Disk space, even on the 20Gig model, what are you going to need it all for this soon? Not to mention the obvious thing being that all the units are upgradable when it comes to the HDDs. This makes absolutly zero sense to me if all they did was increase the HDD size.

How would it look if microsoft removed the Core then launched the Elite? Thats basically what this looks like to me. Course we dont know if this is a sign that the 60gb will be getting a small price drop or if the 80gb model will be a SKU for more then $600. The latter in my opinion would be simple insult to injury. An added issue is if this takes over the $600 catagory and the 60gb gets a price drop what kind of message is that to early adopters? It hasnt even been out half a year yet.

I think im stating the obvious. Simply adding more HDD space is quite simply random, and totally without thought. They should be planning strategically about what to do to make the current SKU more appealing, not adding another.

They "nuked" ? Lets just for once say that it´s true what Sony says "very little demand", then there is no need to have a 20GB 500$ Console. Then there is the 80GB drive, which i´m pretty sure is just Sony passing on the fact that a 60GB or a 80GB drive costs the same. I´m certain the 80GB PS3 is Sonys introduction of the EE´less version and maybe, just maybe, the 65nm cell. I wouldn´t be surprised to see this "sku" at more competitive pricepoint, i just think Sony is waiting to have some more AAA software on the shelves.

Anyway, from reading you angry post, i get the impression that you think Milking the market is what Microsoft and Sony should do?

I also think that this will not be a "new" SKU competing with the 60BG one, rather they will just replace the 60GB HDD with the 80GB and thats it...

I also think that this will not be a "new" SKU competing with the 60BG one, rather they will just replace the 60GB HDD with the 80GB and thats it...

Agreed, with limited PS2 support. Give some, take some. :)

In what way? It's not like you have to buy an overpriced HDD add-on.

Yawn. It's not like the 666-axis comes for free you know.

I agree it would be a smart move...

I doubt retailers would care since this doesn't affect the value of the PS3 in a negative way... I'm sure retailers will just discount the 60gb units to get rid of stock, that way they can encourage sales and people coming into the stores to buy the discounted 60gb model may consider paying the difference for the extra 20gb..

It will probably end being a very discrete change which could spike sales slightly for a little while due to the increased value...

Better than nothing I guess..

I doubt retailers would care since this doesn't affect the value of the PS3 in a negative way... I'm sure retailers will just discount the 60gb units to get rid of stock, that way they can encourage sales and people coming into the stores to buy the discounted 60gb model may consider paying the difference for the extra 20gb..

See that doesn't make sense to me. Because for this to work, sony would need to either reimburse the retailers for each 60gb sold at a lower price, or charge the retailers more for the 80gb. Either way it's an ugly situation. Retails will not like having to move stock at a discount to move to a replacement that the majority of people would rather have.

The only equivalent situations I can think of involve significantly higher margins, and occur at regular known times, so the retailer can run their stock low before transitioning to the new model. Something that can't really be said of the PS3 right now.

See that doesn't make sense to me. Because for this to work, sony would need to either reimburse the retailers for each 60gb sold at a lower price, or charge the retailers more for the 80gb. Either way it's an ugly situation. Retails will not like having to move stock at a discount to move to a replacement that the majority of people would rather have.

Well actually no Sony don't have to do anything.. The onus is up to the retailer to decide how best to cope with the transition and as especially UK retailers have already shown, they a fully capable of taking a bit of a loss on a reduced 60gb model in an attempt to clear out stock and encourage sales..

In the end if they choose to go this route then it may hurt them (But the sales boon may also be a good thing for them since once the 60gb models are gone, bargain hunters may concede and pay the difference for the newer, better value SKU improving sales slightly for a while..), otherwise they can wait until they're stock levels have been depleted before shelving the new models, meaning that they won't lose anything..

Yawn. It's not like the 666-axis comes for free you know.
Are you working for Sony to maximize their profit? Paying a fair price for the value is not a bad thing for consumers. I don't get the stupid "they forced us to swallow it" argument.
I agree it would be a smart move...

Agreed, if the price difference for these models was steep it wouldn't work, hence SugarCoat's first comment sounds strange to me.

If this is not a fake and 80GB HDD is only difference [ or some minor improvements that not effecting cost ] from 60GB SKU , then this SKU probably wont come out with a price increase and will replace 60GB SKU , IMO ...

I agree with most people here that it's most likely that the 60gb will simply be replaced with the 80gb, nothing more nothing less.

Back