Is Turion only a Rebranded LV 90nm SOI Mobile A64?

I believe it's just a cherry-picked A64, like the AXP-Ms were cherry-picked AXPs.

Pete said:
I believe it's just a cherry-picked A64, like the AXP-Ms were cherry-picked AXPs.
Somehow i can't believe that since the Turion is supposed to run at 20 Watts max.
Then again i don't know how much power a winnie would draw at a vcore of 1.2volts or even less.
If it's cherry-picked or not doesn't matter anyways. It's in the Pentium M league finally and that's what counts.

mustrum said:
Pete said:
Somehow i can't believe that since the Turion is supposed to run at 20 Watts max.

Turion comes in two flavors ML and MT, ML is max 35W and MT is max 25W - AMD already had 35W mobile A64s and 25W Semprons before the Turion launch and that was on 130nm.

I'm pretty sure Turion must be something different. At lunch a few days ago, there were some AMD employees at the next table with "Turion64 design team" shirts.

If it was just a re-branded chip, I wouldn't expect the team shirts.

IIRC, the Turion is functionally identical to Athlon64, down to the gate level - there have however been done tweaks at the transistor/process level to reduce the switching and leakage power consumption. If this is correct, I would expect the overclocking potential of the Turion to be quite bad, unlike what used to be the case with the Mobile AthlonXPs and 64s.

RussSchultz said:
I'm pretty sure Turion must be something different. At lunch a few days ago, there were some AMD employees at the next table with "Turion64 design team" shirts.

If it was just a re-branded chip, I wouldn't expect the team shirts.

There has to be a team that puts in the clock gating, and at the very least do the testing and verification on it.

RussSchultz said:
Maybe they just designed the shirts? :LOL:

Back