is this an AMD dual core issue?

when i boot up. i notice what appears to be twin desktops.

my desktop w/background and icons pops up with my cursor showing half busy...

i move my cursor around a few seconds

there's a blink and my now 'ready' cursor is at the center of screen.

is that dual desktops? a boot desktop? and NSA desktop?

anyone experience this?

Happened to me when I installed the latest catalyst and MS dotnet framework about three weeks ago. I used the old interface before and now I wish I still did. Things just seem sluggish.

Edit. Just to clarify, it still happens at every boot up.

Moffell said:
Happened to me when I installed the latest catalyst and MS dotnet framework about three weeks ago. I used the old interface before and now I wish I still did. Things just seem sluggish.

Edit. Just to clarify, it still happens at every boot up.

is it 2 desktops? 1 per core? is it a boot desktop that dies when the second one spawns?

Sounds just like ATI Smart GART doing its thing, if I am correct... well that what I assume it is. It's something ATI related anyway. It's resetting the display device or something and that causes the blink.

From what I can tell from your description it seems pretty much the same.

Windows boot up
Start moving about, clicking the "start" button etc

*Blink*

Mouse centered again with nothing open. Start working as usual.

From what I can tell it happens when the catalyst control center initializes. And I don't have a dualcore cpu. Would have been nice though.

i did notice i had 2 atipiexx (or whatever) processes on my old rig.

however, on my old rig, i killed off everything killable before gaming, including those ati processes.

i don't mess with that on my new rig, yet.

Cartoon Corpse said:
i did notice i had 2 atipiexx (or whatever) processes on my old rig.

however, on my old rig, i killed off everything killable before gaming, including those ati processes.

i don't mess with that on my new rig, yet.
Yeah i have been more and more on the stock/ let windows do as it will, and i run around 66 proc, and have no issues when im in a 3d game.... Heck i burn isos, defrag and have several mail/IM going, let alone the usual desktop everday stuff, and play GRAW all at the same time. Dual core baby... Im a believer :L I have had the "blink " on ATI Cats. for aslong as i can remember, but have never had the layerd two screenn... just a quick black screen blink.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong, and I believe if you turn off display detection in the CCC the brief black screen will disappear. If you have Crossfire enabled it will cause your pointer to disappear and takes a few secs to load at windows start.

Back