Is there a bittorrent program that does this...?

demonic

Regular
I have a 4mb connection. Usually when I download from BT, Im using sources that never use the entirity of my download connection. Im not mindful of that, as my box is 24/7. But of course I would like to download things quicker ;)

Lets say I want to download 4 items at once. Usually I have noticed that my connections on Windows would get flooded or I would be using too much upstream or if I am having more than 4 items downloading then I wouldnt be getting the optimised downstream for each item being downloaded or everything would slow to a standstill, as too many items are being downloaded.

So, now I use VMware. I have 4 windows xp VMs open. I put BT on each box and I have 1 item downloading per each session. The result? Each item downloaded gets 45-70k, where previously if all items were on 1 box. Each item would get 10-15k. Now, I can say I am using the whole of the line for items with poor sources, etc.

My question is this :)

Is there a bit torrent program that can download 1 item, but then only a certain block or certain amount of bytes. Lets say 1 quarter of it?

What I want to do, is download 1 item across those 4 machines and then some how put it together?

I doubt anything exists, but its worth asking right? If it is possible, I could download things very very fast, by using more VM machines :)

Oh yeah and if anyone asks.... why?

Lets say I downloaded a file that is 700mb. It usually takes around 7 hours. If I had 10 machines, all doing 70mb. Then it would take just 1 hour ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
uTorrent can selectively just download certain files out of a torrent, as can most clients. As for a certain amount of bytes from large-file torrents, I'm not aware any client can.

I'd maybe focus on tweaking your OS to let you download at full speed with no connection limits, rather than work on a fairly horrible software cludge.

Unless you're dealing with multipart archives or other torrents with multiple files I don't think what you're asking is possible. Otherwise it's easy enough with several clients.

On another note: Why the convoluted setup with multuple VMs? I'm sure a tweaking TCP/IP settings and properly configuring the connection settings in your client (what are you ysnig, btw?) would achieve the same results with less of a hassle.

Edit: Too slow.

Firstly, thanks guys for your input.

Why not just limit your upload so as not to use all the bandwidth? This will allow some bandwidth for upstream TCP ACKs and will stop your download from slowing down.

I am limiting my upload. If in the first instance, I am downloading 4 or more items in one session. I do not get the full speed. Blame the tracker that I am using. Its an inherant problem. Hence I am using 4 VMs per 1 item to download to circimvent this issue.

Unless you're dealing with multipart archives or other torrents with multiple files I don't think what you're asking is possible. Otherwise it's easy enough with several clients.

On another note: Why the convoluted setup with multuple VMs? I'm sure a tweaking TCP/IP settings and properly configuring the connection settings in your client (what are you ysnig, btw?) would achieve the same results with less of a hassle.

Edit: Too slow.

Not sure what you mean by what am I using. Im using uTorrent as the client.

uTorrent can selectively just download certain files out of a torrent, as can most clients. As for a certain amount of bytes from large-file torrents, I'm not aware any client can.

I'd maybe focus on tweaking your OS to let you download at full speed with no connection limits, rather than work on a fairly horrible software cludge.

Yes, I realise that I can select different parts of a torrent to download. The problem is, when someone puts everything in 1 rar file. Then I am stuffed. There isnt a problem when there is 100 rar files for example. I use each uTorrent in each VM to download 1-25, 26-50, 51-75, 76-100. I tend to get things very fast indeed!

To be truthful, I havent tweaked my os in regards to my tcp/ip stack. WinXP is set to default settings.

I was just wondering if there was something like leechftp, where it can use multiple connections on 1 file and then it puts the file together.

Maybe I should look into designing my own version of Bittorrent :LOL:

Back