Is PerfectDisk REALLY the best defragger?

Guden Oden

Legend
It's not all that expensive, I'm really tempted to simply buy it. I know there's a demo version, but I don't feel like signing away my identity and privacy just for the privilege to test this program for 30 days. Besides, if I run it to try it out, how will I be able to compare to anything else after it has done its work? :)

Why the heck can't german programmers make programs or web pages in fricken english, I'm just asking... I don't understand a word despite I studied the language for six years. I still remember "teufel!", that's about it. ;)

So, has anyone tried Perfectdisk and liked it, or should I look elsewhere? Any advice appreciated...

it is a great defrag. To most who care, its the best. For a single user just browsing doing the normal stuff... its no better than any other like diskkeeper10 ( a very good defrag). Systernals contig is good too. The point about paying is the you get a gui, and a taskmanager.
I like the option to just defrag the file or folder. FragUtil.exe Contig.exe alow me that. Do a trial for a coupl of days (also try diskeeper10) . At the sametime try the free ones, you can just analyze the Drive/partion before defrags and see the results with the gui of the premiums.

I dont know if it's the best but I like it.
It supports the standard advanced defrag tool features- offline defrags (pagefile basically), can defrag your boot files
I don't like the diskeeper interface so I stick with PD.
As long as I keep noticeing large decreases in loading time with defrags and reasonable defrag times, I shall continue to use it.

Guden Oden said:
Why the heck can't german programmers make programs or web pages in fricken english, I'm just asking... I don't understand a word despite I studied the language for six years. I still remember "teufel!", that's about it. ;)

So, has anyone tried Perfectdisk and liked it, or should I look elsewhere? Any advice appreciated...

What about the word "scheisse"?

To answer the question asked in the thread title: No.
BRiT said:
I've been kind of partial to Diskeeper.
This is the correct claim.

I could suggest you to try the trial version, and forge your own opinion, but I can't see how anyone could choose Perfectdisk over Diskeeper.
Except if the latest version version of Perfectdisk is 10 time better than the old ones, that is.

Vysez said:
I could suggest you to try the trial version, and forge your own opinion, but I can't see how anyone could choose Perfectdisk over Diskeeper.
Except if the latest version version of Perfectdisk is 10 time better than the old ones, that is.
You say this, and then the next poster directly contradicts you... Can you or anyone else build up your case a little perhaps, let me know WHY you believe one way or the other? Otherwise, it's terribly confusing. :)

What free alternatives are there (apart from some german program I'll never be able to figure out)? I just went completely insane and bought a couple versions of 3dmark because I sort of like using them as system overclocking tools and I'm sick and tired of having to wait through the lengthy CPU tests in the 05 and 06 versions. :LOL: So, I'd rather spare myself the expense of a defragger right now...

I'm sure Raxco's PDFs would show their product to outperform the competition, just as MS's PDFs shows windows to be both cheaper, faster and better than linux for server use, etc... ;)

I only defrag my 4GB OS partition (NTFS), and I use the windows defrag from compmgmt.msc.
it's fast enough and keeps the OS and apps in %programfiles% responsive :)

my other partitions are 32GB and 80GB FAT32, never defragged, they are several years old, especially the 32GB one which I carried from a preceding disk, it's full and 4 year old at least :)
what's the best, smallest free program for defragging FAT?

Vysez said:
To answer the question asked in the thread title: No.

This is the correct claim.

I have the latest version.
What's changed?
I got it for the 64-bit support.
I'd like to see a good comparison between them.
Like how good they defrag and how long it takes to defrag and how long it stays defragged.

How long it stay defragged is not really up to the defrag apps, but to the OS.
Except if you turn on the real time/active defrag option, but that tend to slow down the system if you ask me.

Guden, DK has one big advantage, it's blazing fast compared to the rest. At least from my personal experience.

Vysez said:
How long it stay defragged is not really up to the defrag apps, but to the OS.

You are wrong there. It also depends on the defrag app.

For example: the built in windows defragger does not consolidate free space. This means that while your files are defragged you will still have little pieces of free space all over the disk. And this means that when you start filling those, all files you write there will immediately be fragmented. (Ever wondered why your disk would become fragmented so fast again? This is the answer)

This really is unacceptable and any defrag tool which doesn't consolidate free space cannot be taken seriously as a defrag tool.
Unfortunately this also includes Diskeeper 10 Home edition. So stay away of that version!!

I also like Perfect Disk a lot.

The PDF files posted earlier show very similar results to some tests I did myselfs a while ago. My own tests weren't with Diskeeper 10 though, but with an older version, and with the windows defragger. (which basically is Diskeeper Lite)

What I especially hate about the windows defrag (and older diskeeper versions) is that it doesn't want to defrag when I don't have 14% free disk space.
I don't even want to think of defragging when I have that much space available. (a disk usually does not fragment heavily when you still have so much space left).
I have a 340GB raid volume, which is usually pretty full. I cannot defrag that disk with such a tool. (Has diskeeper 10 solved this showstopper?)

No such problem with Diskeeper. Just 1% free on that 340GB volume and it works just fine.

Then both diskeeper and windows defrag do a poor job of defragging files. When I let a defrag tool run, I want all or nearly all files to be defragged when it is finished. But with diskeeper/windows defrag I have had disks defragged ten times in a row, AND it was STILL heavily fragmented. (granted it was a worst case scenario, since this was my download machine, which had been running emule and newsgroups downloads on a pretty full disk for a long time)
Extra defrag runs didn't improve anything at all.

Then I let Perfect Disk run on that same disk. It did 1 pass and it did the job just fine. No fragmented files anymore and all free space perfectly consolidated. That single pass didn't even take much longer than a single pass of diskeeper.

Free space consolidation: I talked about that earlier in a reply. Diskeeper Home edition doesn't do it at all, but the more expensive editions of diskeeper aren't much better. I got similar results to those in the PDF files.
How difficult can it be to do proper free space consolidation? EVERY defrag tool in the DOS era did it just fine!

Now, I won't say that PerfectDisk is the best defragger out there. Other's might be even better. But it does it's job well. It does what I expect a proper defrag tool to do.

But I will say that Diskeeper certainly is NOT the best defragger out there!

mjtdevries said:
Then both diskeeper and windows defrag do a poor job of defragging files. When I let a defrag tool run, I want all or nearly all files to be defragged when it is finished. But with diskeeper/windows defrag I have had disks defragged ten times in a row, AND it was STILL heavily fragmented.

I don't have this problem with my Diskeeper 9 though (all those disks are heavily used).

Back