Is my motherboard fried? frying?

not a hardware expert.

anyway i posted a thread in software about a problem with my OS recognizing my soundcard and CD/DVD every time i booted. had to beboot and run restore and whatnot to get it to work, then, once up, it ran fine, till i turned it off.

thought i fixed it, i was wrong.

last weekend, suddenly when i boot, the monitor is not recognized (test pattern displays on monitor while it's supposed to be displaying boot info). while fans spin up (not even sure if HD spins up...sometimes it just sits there till the monitor finally goes into standby mode)

i turned up the rheostat on my coolermaster to full blast, but case temp is around 20 celsius usually. it was at about 1/3 power before.

anyway this is my new custom rig. with fx60, 680? W PS, x1900xtx, 2 G DDR, 10K raptor 150G.

i've tried system restore and recover from cd as well. (but not fresh install of os and drivers)

though currently i can't get it to do anything (usually if i wait a day (cooling?) i can get it up then.

when up the pc hardware stats say most things (except when CD and soundcard aren't recognized) are working normally.

so is this mboard failure? PS failure? or is it just a reformat/reinstall everything software problem? maybe virus related?

any ideas would be welcome. definate answer would be splendid!

Maybe BIOS related? There's a setting called "Plug'n'play OS installed" or some such, set it to "no" to avoid such stuff. Also, "Resources controlled by..." choose BIOS instead of "by OS" if present. Could as well be the EEPROM dying, though I doubt that.

Just set any resource-handling to BIOS-controlled, maybe it'll help.

i'll try that this evening.

does this happen to others' rigs? i've never had it happen before.

BTW i forgot to mention i got the bluescreen of death a couple times. "had to kill your pc before it was damaged!"

also a couple times my monitor would show the windows boot screen, only VERY dimly....then freeze.

Try changing the battery on the motherboard (CR32 IIRC). If that doesn't do it (you might need to reset cmos and start over), try changing the the 12V line the xtx sits on (I assume you have a kickass psu, sounds like it could be psu problems anyway) - as in change the molex/pci-e power connector. To me it sounds similar to problems when the battery is worn out except you haven't mentioned the clock.

Also try what _xxx_ suggested, and in addition to that try resetting the plug and play configuration (it should be among the pci settings options in the bios... called reset configuration data or something similar to that).

If you still can't get it to boot, try reseating the xtx and the soundcard. If it still wont work remove the hds, cd, casefans and all but one module of the memory (this is to check if it boots with a lower load on the psu).

last weekend, suddenly when i boot, the monitor is not recognized (test pattern displays on monitor while it's supposed to be displaying boot info). while fans spin up (not even sure if HD spins up...sometimes it just sits there till the monitor finally goes into standby mode)
That sounds like the system does not get enough power to boot.

EDIT: Well bluescreens and wierd problems with the monitor sounds mostly like the xtx is buggered. Try reseating it the first thing you do. And then swapping the 12V line for it. Then the rest I listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well bluescreens and wierd problems with the monitor sounds mostly like the xtx is buggered. Try reseating it the first thing you do. And then swapping the 12V line for it. Then the rest I listed.

yikes! the xtx? could that be the root of the problem? or just another piece of equipment damaged as i keep using the pc with a perhaps bad PSU? (in other words the more i use it, the more damage i do)

thanks guys i'll give your ideas a whirl.

does anyone know what bits to attach a multimeter to find out if PSU is healthy? without getting electrocuted? i don't have a duplicate PSU of this magnatude (680 Watts i think).

(i've only used a multimeter on my motorcycle before)

Heeh. Don't panic. :smile: Reseating (twice :oops:) the xtx fixed some problems I had with first a few bluescreens and then the monitor looking wierd.

But if it still refuses to boot like that after reseating then it's probably the psu. I'd recommend that pulling out hds and stuff routine before you break out the multimeter for checking the psu.

does anyone know what bits to attach a multimeter to find out if PSU is healthy? without getting electrocuted?
To measure it the easiest way is to just stick one test pin into a ground wire on a molex connector and then the other into 5V or 12V on the same connector. Set the multimeter for like 10V or 15V (I don't have mine here and I can't recall the usual setting) Direct Current (DC). You shouldn't need any special protection or resistors to protect the multimeter, my cheap one worked just fine measuring these lines. A bad psu will probably have low voltages (or very high.. I think 5% is the spec for ATX so 12V=11,4-12,6V and 5V=4,75-5,25V) or the voltages will fluctuate a lot (say 0.2 or 0.3V when it's not particulary loaded).

Watch out not to make a short circuit with the tip of your multimeter by touching multiple pins, that could fry the PSU.

so if i can no longer get it to recognize anything...no boot, nothing but self-test pattern on the monitor, till it goes into standby mode (blank), no cd,

is it a safe bet to just get a new PSU? i wonder if a local shop will loan me one to see.

i can't get it to do anything. so much for tweaking BIOS i guess.

i tried reseating connections.

remember, it used to fire up after a few tries and be perfectly fine for hours (i played max payne 1 completely through last weekend)

do PSU's kinda come in and out like that? until they just die.

well it can't be dead cause the fans whir like mad. how come that is?

Cartoon Corpse said:
so if i can no longer get it to recognize anything...no boot, nothing but self-test pattern on the monitor, till it goes into standby mode (blank), no cd,

is it a safe bet to just get a new PSU? i wonder if a local shop will loan me one to see.
sounds wise at this point! I'd probably just buy a PSU and then return it if it didn't help. Seems a bit less dishonest than buying a new motherboard just for testing purposes (which -- compared to this class PSU, would likely be far cheaper!)... ^_~ anyway, i'm pretty certain that no pc shop would loan you a PSU, but they might let you bring your PC in and borrow their test rig for a bit. not too likely, though, unless they're pretty friendly.

Edit: hey wait, you're rich -- you keep telling us so! ;) so you should probably just buy whatever spare parts you need -- pretty soon you'll find out that if you're going to DIY, you're going to want two PCs anyway ;D

Cartoon Corpse said:
do PSU's kinda come in and out like that? until they just die.

well it can't be dead cause the fans whir like mad. how come that is?

First, try clearing the CMOS (jumper position should be in the manual, it's a 3-pin jumper near the BIOS chip mostly). Try boting again.

PSU's can come and go depending on load, if you're exactly at the limit that may happen. Fans spinning have nothing to say if the output circuitry is dead. Fans are usually on a separate supply.

I'd try another PSU first. You can also try plugging all drives and cards out except for the main HDD and the gfx-card and try booting again with the now reduced load.

EDIT: if the PSU fans run full throttle, that's a sign that something's fishy in there. They're normally load-dependant, that sounds like the fail-safe mode.

Also, you can take your PC to the shop and try some PSU right there if they won't borrow you one. Just tell them you'll buy one there if yours is dead and they'll be glad to help.

i think i was recommended a good thermaltake 680W power supply and bought the bad version. check these articles out:

http://xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/thermaltake-psu-roundup.html

apparently the (rev 1) article is a crappy, under load, PSU. the rev 2 is a good one. only they HAVE THE SAME MODEL NUMBER AND APPEARANCE!

interestingly they both seem to fake multiple (3) 12V rails from 1.

thanks xxx, i'll try that.

jeez i have to work this weekend too, so it's either get a new PSU (RMA later), reassemble my 4 year old rig (taking the parts back from my new rig that i scavenged), or come to the office. i know, wah wah.

Edit: hey wait, you're rich -- you keep telling us so! so you should probably just buy whatever spare parts you need -- pretty soon you'll find out that if you're going to DIY, you're going to want two PCs anyway ;D

oh yeah. well though when i build my next one in a year or so. there might be a 20 jigawatt version available! and my 680W duplicate won't be attractive.

i think im gonna look for a local thermaltake (good version) today/tomorrow. maybe get a better more powerful one (diff mfg). then RMA the old one (insisting on a good version this time). i can' t stand waiting, since im rich.

any bulletproof power supplies in the 700W range or higher you guys can recommend?

CC, did you check the event log? It can probably tell you what is going on. And you could try Motherboard Monitor to check the PSU.

Cartoon Corpse said:
last weekend, suddenly when i boot, the monitor is not recognized (test pattern displays on monitor while it's supposed to be displaying boot info). while fans spin up (not even sure if HD spins up...sometimes it just sits there till the monitor finally goes into standby mode)QUOTE]

Does the computer operate seemingly normally, just without a monitor? I mean does it turn on, and sound as if it did? I had a similar issue with the error "Please check signal cable" posted on the screen. It was a motherboard issue. BUT fortunately that warranted me to finish my new computer! And gut the old one.....

no it doesn't even try to boot. i think i hear the harddrive (even have a recover cd in drive) boot up weakly....then make a pitiful spiraling down sound. and then nothing but fans. mostly (always lately) when i turn it on, no hardrive blinker, no cd blinker, no boot info on monitor, no sound 'boop' from the speakers.

anyway this is the ONLY 650W PSU in stock locally in winston salem i could find:

BFG 650-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply
Model: BFGR650PSU

Product Features

650-watt power supply

BFG Silent Control technology varies the fan speed for quieter operation

Built-in protection circuitry is able to handle power irregularities such as over-voltage, overload and short circuits

SATA connectors for Serial ATA hard drives

PCI Express ready
ATX 12V 2.0/EPS 12V compliance

Output connectors: six 4-pin molex connectors, one 20 + 4-pin motherboard connector, one 4 + 4-pin 12V ATX/EPS connector, two 6-pin PCI Express connectors, two 4-pin floppy connectors and 4 SATA connectors

Dual 12V rails provide your peripherals and critical system components with the most stable power

HOWEVER my thermaltake has separate fan power (i run 3 120mm case fans (plus cpu coolermaster, and ati fan)) connector. this doesn't mention that. does that mean it won't work for me?

and is it SLI 'ready' just for having 2 PCI Express cables?

sounds like the motherboard is fried. :(

As for SLI, the dual PCI-E cables would indicate SLI readiness, but the best indicator would be the max current that the 12V rails can handle.

Cartoon Corpse said:
interestingly they both seem to fake multiple (3) 12V rails from 1
Not really faked. There is a single 12V tap that is divided across 2-3 12V output limited rails. A bit safer than allowing >25A on a single 12V rail. Some manufacturers like PCP&C/Zippy/Emacs do have a huge single rail. There are also a few supplies with multiple independent 12V sections, & these tend to be server/co-opted designs. Things I look for in a PSU are seperate Vreg for 3.3/5/12V sections, >80% efficiency, good casing airflow design, good cabling, low noise, & APFC (for the heck of it). My favourite PSUs are from Fortron, Seasonic, & Enermax. I'm a fan of Xbit PSU tests. Also check out these from Hexus & SPCR.

Edit: To test for failed MB, strip the system to bare essentials (CPU, 1 RAM module, PCI VGA if available). Clear CMOS. Alternate RAM modules to test for bad RAM, although you usually get RAM error beeps. Try powering on without KB/mouse (esp if PS2).

i will clear CMOS this evening.

otherwise i think i may go with the BFG 650. or an antec 550 (better cabling, plus i use an antec p180 case) just less power. found in stock locally (only choices over 500W).

i'll go buy that tomorrow (taking vacation day), if nothing works tonight.

i just don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for RMA (apparent thermaltake company policy). wish i read those reviews before. but the recommendation i got was for a good version, i just didn't buy the right one. (i think i went for a cheaper version of the google search thinking there was no difference (same model number, appearance)

$150 bucks. pfft. guess i'll have a spare. not a bad thing. maybe i'll learn something.

Cartoon Corpse said:
otherwise i think i may go with the BFG 650. or an antec 550 (better cabling, plus i use an antec p180 case) just less power. found in stock locally (only choices over 500W).
Antec=CWT made. I don't know who makes BFG PSUs. Lifetime warranty as per VGA?

guess i'll have a spare. not a bad thing.
Always useful.

Back