Is it true that developers on 360...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I know but I really doubt it. I think most games on the PS3 that are not multiplatform program closer to the metal than on the 360. I mean up until recently you probably had to.

On the 360 thanks to the special version of directx that the system uses you can program closer to the metal in directx than ever before. This is part of the reason Carmack preferred using it at the beginning of this generation because up until that point directx made it hard for people to do so.

I don't know much about the 360. But I have heard developers both say you can program to the metal on the PS3 and others say that you cannot. I am confused.

Both CPUs are pretty much the same, however I believe RSX has a thicker heat spreader so technically you can get closer to the metal with Xenos...

;)

Unfortunately, as is the way of the world, the information you seek will be under NDA (non disclosure agreement), therefore you will probably never get a satisfactory answer.

Also, we have a zero tolerance of Console Vs Console threads. This one is border line, but just keep in mind for any threads you may start in the future. :yes:

Feel free to start a new thread in the technology forum if you have specific questions related to programming for the 360 - provided you can't find an answer elsewhere, and it's not something that you know the developers here will be legally not allowed to answer.
:smile2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back