Is Drakengard really such a crappy game?

Guden Oden

Legend
I took a chance and bought it the other week without knowing anything about it or even without hearing the name previously. It doesn't seem to be very good. I've only played the first two missions and some of the third, so I can't really tell, but it seems pretty uninspired.

I trusted the SquareEnix name enough to not produce shite titles, but it seems I've been scammed. :?

Any input?

The game is just a Dynasty Warrior-like packed with some shooting phase, it had some cool ideas, such as the XP and the dragon you can summon in the battlefield... But they're just badly used (the weapons XP system can't go higher than level 4, for example).

The battle are also kind "boring", the main character stay "stuck" for a second after each hit he takes... that's highly frustrating.

And yes the game had average reviews (6 or 5 out 10).

BTW the game has been developed by Cavia (Resident Evil Dead Aim).

I liked it well enough. I label it "Definite Rent(TM)" but wouldn't much care to own it. It has some replayability, I suppose, to wax EVERYTHING and try to get and advance all the weapons, but it's really something you put down fast. Repetitive? Sure. But then, I find the DW and PD games from which Drakengard's gameplay follows pretty repetitive as well--the mix of the two is at least refreshing. If one likes either of those style of games (or similar games that also get repetitive, such as ZOE), they're apt to like Drakengard just fine.

Ignore the story, though. HOO-BOY is that one a stinker! Their usual flair for cinematics, though...

Didn't care much for the cinematics. The CGI is poorly animated and badly lipsynched (well DUH, since it's dubbed), and I don't like Square's general look of CGI which is very fuzzy-like. It contrasts too much with gameplay graphics which is very PS2-typical with sparkly aliasing textures and such.

Back