iPhone 5S impressions

Who knew finger print sensor would get people excited?

Will be curious to see whether or how soon third-parties make use of the 64-bit CPU and the Rogue cores.

Some audio app already use the new processor. I remember reading about it on a Mac centric website.

Essentially, they use the new CPU for some real time audio processing, and were very surprised that it completed before another regular piece of work that's supposed to complete earlier.

Oh and I look forward to the day when someone invents a better battery. Yeah in everyday use you can always connect to a charger, but for example on bike trips, I've found that tracking our route with GPS and taking pictures at stops can easily be too much.

A more realistic solution would be to get electricity from the bike. You're putting like 100 to 200 watt mechanical energy into it already, wouldn't it be nice to steal some of it even for 500mA USB at worst. Have a hub dynamo, supercap, regulator and whatever glue.

What app do you use for GPS tracking? I would like a nice one for when I go on walks.

I feel the current iP is fine for me, size-wise, I want my phone to easily fit in a pocket. Surfing on the go is only an occasional habit, most of the time I just keep spotify running and perhaps read a newspaper on the bus instead (cuz no matter what size of phone, it's still gonna be bloody small and cramped compared to a paper or a magazine.) When I feel the time is right, I'll buy a proper tablet for surfing on the go. We're almost there now I think, but not quite. I'd really like thumbprint reader for unlocking for example.

I use Cyclemeter at the moment.

If you have a 5s, you can try these M7-compatible apps:
http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/10/seven-apps-that-take-advantage-of-the-m7-motion-coprocessor-in-t/

A more realistic solution would be to get electricity from the bike. You're putting like 100 to 200 watt mechanical energy into it already, wouldn't it be nice to steal some of it even for 500mA USB at worst. Have a hub dynamo, supercap, regulator and whatever glue.

They make (inductive) hubs for USB charging already. You have to build a wheel around them, but many ultra cyclists and cross country (aka 1000+ mile trips) cyclists use these. Personally, I prefer the likes of a Garmin 800 or 500 over any phone solution as they have cadence, heart and wheel speed sensors already integrated, are weatherproof and have better bike mounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a 5s, you can try these M7-compatible apps:
That's a cool link. What I'd really really like is something that integrates GPS/Maps support to properly show not just distance or steps, but also the geographical route I took. I almost always walk on city streets and I have a number of different favorite routes I can choose from. It would be fun to see a graphical representation of that, preferably saveable and so on... *dreams that he could program so could make the perfect walking app by himself*

That's a cool link. What I'd really really like is something that integrates GPS/Maps support to properly show not just distance or steps, but also the geographical route I took. I almost always walk on city streets and I have a number of different favorite routes I can choose from. It would be fun to see a graphical representation of that, preferably saveable and so on... *dreams that he could program so could make the perfect walking app by himself*

Uh...not M7 related but Strava, MapMyRun, Endomondo, Sportstracker, etc. all will track routes, distance, pace (heart rate, etc.) for you and allow you to upload to free accounts for viewing, sharing, saving, etc.
Since Strava is also on the linked page I think you have your wish.

Since Strava is also on the linked page I think you have your wish.
Yeah, but it's one of those "free" apps that aren't free, and I'm wary as hell of stuff like that. If it costs money it should be an up-front cost. And it's geared for running and not walking and I have no need for all that competition and tracking bullshit it's loaded down with...

Would like something that just shows the route and the distance, and perhaps also steps taken and - why not - the time spent. That's all I care about. :)

Yeah, but it's one of those "free" apps that aren't free, and I'm wary as hell of stuff like that. If it costs money it should be an up-front cost. And it's geared for running and not walking and I have no need for all that competition and tracking bullshit it's loaded down with...

Would like something that just shows the route and the distance, and perhaps also steps taken and - why not - the time spent. That's all I care about. :)

How is Strava not free? And why would you have to use any competitive aspects of it?
Literally 75% of the cyclists I know use it an of those probably less than one-third use the paid version (all it adds is more detailed analysis of power) and probably 10% follow the KOM stuff.

There are some hiking apps. which will do that, EveryTrail and MapMyWalk, which will let you save maps of your walks to their websites.

Haven't played much with them. They seem more oriented for hiking trails, not so much urban excursions.

But it might be rough on battery life.

I really wonder about the placement of the sensors on an iPhone. I am used to running on treadmill with Nike sensor on my shoe paired to the sensor on my iPod Nano, strapped to my arm.

But often, I'm holding on to the bar rather than swinging my arms. But it's not a problem because the sensor in the shoe is tracking every stride.

Then I tried the Nike Running app. on my iPhone, again strapped to my arm. It undercounted my run by about half the distance, compared to what the treadmill counter showed and what the iPod Nano and Nike Fit sensor combo would have shown.

I also use Fitbit, clipped to my waist band. That's a bit less accurate but seemed to get it about right as well.

So if the M7 depends on the arms moving all the time, it may not be accurate.

EDIT: Thought about it on my drive home. That screen accuracy test is probably measuring different thing on the iPhone screen vs the Samsung one. In actual usage, the Samsung uniform accuracy is wrong. When viewing a screen at an angle, there is parallax error and master hand bias. The real point of touch should be adjusted by software. In addition, if the bezel is thin, there should be algorithm to ignore input selectively (probably heuristic based). If it's uniform throughout the entire screen, the input should be "all wrong".

Something like this:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...curate-but-more-human-than-samsung-galaxy-s3/

Each time I use an Android device, it strikes me how much I mistap everything that's on the screen. When I try to tap something on an iphone that's upside down, it's pretty much a 100% miss rate.
iOS deliberately puts the touch hot spot below the visible hot spot. This makes it much easier to see what you're tapping. It also helps better when you have the device slightly tilted.
But at the end of the day, it's just a matter of what you're used to. I assume that heavy Android users have as much problems with tap accuracy on iOS as I do on Android.

The title of the article is nice click bait, though. ;)

Right, so I've had my 5S for a few months now.

I'm finding some of the built-in apps in IOS 7.0.4 a bit crashy (web browser and mail client particularly). The wi-fi can sometimes be a bit reluctant to associate with networks, both my own and at my place of work. Hopefully future OS upgrades can solve these issues.

The fingerprint recognition is by no means 100% - maybe one time in five it'll tell me to try again. I dare say that had I e-mailed Steve Jobs to complain, he'd tell me that my fingers are at fault and I need to upgrade them. Anyway it's sufficiently unreliable that I'm not sold on it as a stand-out feature.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with it. It's lighter and stays charged for a lot longer then my ageing 3GS, and of course performance-wise there's no comparison.
I just hope it lasts 4 years like my trusty 3GS did - it's going to have to because I'm not forking out £630 for a new phone in a hurry!

Can we not turn this into some kind of US vs. World flame war please? It's not relevant to the topic at hand.

As for the browser in iOS 7, I agree with you nutball. I have one iOS device, an iPad 3, and I have this impression that Safari crashes more often in iOS 7 than it did in previous iOS versions. I didn't really count though and I was quite used to things crashing on my iPad anyway. Luckily, it doesn't happen often enough to really bother me.
What does bother me a bit more about iOS 7 is the Reader Mode in Safari, which they changed and is now much more buggy, while none of the changes offer any kind of improvement over the old Reader Mode.

I don't see crashes but I see a lot of tab reloading on my iPad 3 with iOS 7.

Supposedly iOS 7.1 is better on stability.

We'll see.

Haven't had Safari crash on me I think, but then again I don't really surf much with my phone anyway. A couple times the phone itself has crashed though or behaved erratically or wonky, but it's just a bare handful - not even once a month I would say since I bought it. When this happens I restart it, and then it's fine again.

It restarts way, way quicker than my iP4 btw. iOS7 was quite slow starting up and shutting down on my old 4, on the 5S the delay is quite acceptable I'd say.

The fingerprint reader works nearly always for me. Once in a blue moon it misreads, mostly if I hit the sensor a bit too much off-kilter. I've heard if your fingers are moist it fails more easily, and if I've washed my hands recently and not wiped them off particularly carefully I too have had it fail on occation. Otherwise my hands are quite dry, but some people sweat an stuff, which may factor into its success rate, I dunno. I'm very satisfied myself with this feature, I really disliked having to tap in a code all the time when using my phone. Of course, YMMV, as always.

Overall after a number of months of ownership, some user comfort issues with iOS7's new look (like what actually is a button in some apps), but overall not much to complain about. The control center (up-swipe from the bottom) is awesome. The notification center (down-swipe from top) is also nice but could be better; it tends to hide away stuff you missed, it should show that stuff up-front without having to switch tabs, but it is still a good consolidation of information in one single place. Other than that not much to complain about, best damn cell phone I've ever owned for sure, by a large degree. It's really really snappy, light, feels great in the hand, superior build quality and materials, excellent features and battery life and so on. And with apple's superior software support this phone will be relevant for years to come.

I hardly ever see Safari crashes on my 5, but my wife complains about frequent Safari crashes on her mini retina. Wouldn't surprise me if the 64bit iOS 7 is the culprit.

For me Safari crashes about 3 or 4 times a week on my iPad 3, which is a 32-bit device. The crash usually has something to do with Reader Mode.

Back