IOS 6 two steps forward

Or even more appropriate, a simple sliding bolt latch on a door, been around even far longer than keys.

[Disclaimer: The following are just general comments on patents and not intended to specifically relate to any particular patent]

One thing you need to ask is "was it obvious at the time of invention" (given everything else that was in the field at the time) or is is "obvious after the fact"?

Furthermore, using something from a different application space may be considered a novel use.

One thing you need to ask is "was it obvious at the time of invention" (given everything else that was in the field at the time) or is is "obvious after the fact"?
depends on what it is, slide to unlock yes, that was demonstrated before apple patented it - this is a FACT. so yes it was obvious, yet the patent was given, why is this?
my new OS idea, well no not yet shown, it is obvious afterwards but hell speaking as an ideas man, ideas a pretty well worthless

Furthermore, using something from a different application space may be considered a novel use.
yes I know, when we have 3d virtual space with bells on there is no way on earth a person would think of placing a foot in front of the other one to move forward, humanity (except me & apple dont have the brains mate, they just dont have the brains to dream this innovation in this new space)

depends on what it is, slide to unlock yes, that was demonstrated before apple patented it - this is a FACT. so yes it was obvious, yet the patent was given, why is this?
Up to a year before December 2005? I'll have to take your word for it, though I'd love to see the published document/device.
yes I know, when we have 3d virtual space with bells on there is no way on earth a person would think of placing a foot in front of the other one to move forward...
I did say "may" but if everyone else is doing XYZ and then someone does ABC, even if both XYZ and ABC were present in other fields before this time, ABC may still be valid. <shrug>

(except me & apple dont have the brains mate, they just dont have the brains to dream this innovation in this new space)
I have no idea what that meant :???:

Up to a year before December 2005? I'll have to take your word for it, though I'd love to see the published document/device.

A Swedish company called Neonode patented a slide to unlock in 2002 and had a device featuring it on the market before the iPhone was announced:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...ts_to_slide_to_unlock_with_new_ui_patent.html

There's a blocky low-res video review of the device available somewhere showing it in action.

I think the Apple claim is that their "slide to unlock" was sliding an icon rather than just swiping across the screen but I have to say that sounds like a pretty poor argument to me!

A Swedish company called Neonode patented a slide to unlock in 2002 and had a device featuring it on the market before the iPhone was announced:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...ts_to_slide_to_unlock_with_new_ui_patent.html

n a press release issued on Tuesday, Neonode says it was issued U.S. Patent No. 8,095,879
....Arghhh the link in that article is wrong and takes you to the apple 8,209,637 patent. That confused me! Anyway, the first claim in that seems a bit weird.

I think the neonode patent isn't just a specific unlock-but-nothing-else patent. The video (if you can be bothered to search for it!), shows that the 'unlock' swipe also works as a back swipe at times, depending on the context in which it is used. Kind of like the two-fingered forward/backward swipe I use on my laptop's touchpad when I'm browsing.

The neonode thing seems pretty obviously like prior art to me but then I'm just a layman, so what do I know?

The fact that some countries are enforcing some of these patents whilst others kick them out shows there is a problem somewhere.

The neonode thing seems pretty obviously like prior art to me but then I'm just a layman, so what do I know?
I only read that claim because the linked article spoke of infringement. For prior art one would need to read the entire thing and I've got far more interesting things to do that read random patents. Maybe if I need to cure insomnia I'll take a look :)

Back