IOS 6 two steps forward

Florin

Merrily dodgy
Veteran
Supporter
So I've been playing around with IOS 6 on my 4S and to me it seems a mixed bag thing. The OS is still leading in ease of use and coherent feel, but it is also definitely playing catch up in some areas.

- Not asking for a password every time you update an app from the store (Google ought to have patented this hehe)
- The little blue 'NEW' tag on recently downloaded apps

Dislikes:
- Faux leather, wooden bookshelves etc. The skeuomorphism really is pretty nasty
- Maps. I thought this CNET entry was pretty funny. It's suddenly quite useless in my city.

Im gonna hold off downloading it, I only use 3 inbuilt apps, alarm (sometimes), browser & maps.
I may stick it on my partners ipad3 though (she uses maps quite a bit though)

the funniest thing I read about the maps (perhaps fixed now) is they didnt even have the famous new york apple store in the right place (they had a petrol station at that address or something) :) which after 1 infinite loop
is the most important place on the planet for the apple empire

actually I might install it for a laugh, apparently its even worse outside of the US

Biggest shock for me after installing on iPad 3 was that the youtube app is gone. There is no easy replacement either ... Best I could find was squrl for now.

Also just now noticed that repositioning the cursor while typing here using forumrunner no longer works. I get the magnifying glass but cursor gets stuck in the top corner.

My wife was highly impressed by Siri, which is now available on iPad (but not on our 3GS's)

First thing I did after the installation was simply download the Youtube app off the store. I've heard it is more optimized for phones than for the iPad, but it should still work, right?

Google was supposed to have released their own Youtube app the other day. Anyway, can't you just use Safari, or other browser of your preferred choice, to browse the site?

One addition I did appreciate in iOS6 is the ability to FINALLY set the password of your personal hotspot wifi network.

I do miss that your next upcoming event in the calendar doesn't show on the lock screen, or that switching betweeen apps still is so cumbersome and messy. Once you've opened a bunch of different apps you end up with a huge jumbled list that just isn't user friendly. There's no need to keep EVERY app ever opened still open, especially the built-in settings, phone etc apps. Unless you're actually making a call, why would anyone need the phone app staying resident all the time...?

Apple need to implement a choice of bitrates for iTunes match, like you can if you sync with iTunes directly. Annoying that if I want to use match I have to take up most of my 32GB device with music.

- Faux leather, wooden bookshelves etc. The skeuomorphism really is pretty nasty

Tottaly agree on that. Apple used to have the pretiest UIs, but that was simply because everyone else's was terribly ugly. Now that others have caugth up, a lot of apple's style is showing its oldfashioness.

Google was supposed to have released their own Youtube app the other day. Anyway, can't you just use Safari, or other browser of your preferred choice, to browse the site?

Doesn't work great, nearly as great as the app was. And Google did release an app, but it doesn't support iPads yet.

I've had an idea for ages for the 'best'(*) mobile (or other) window manager
Is there a website/place where I can post my idea without someone patenting it?

(*)yes better than IOS,android,WP etc

I've had an idea for ages for the 'best'(*) mobile (or other) window manager
Is there a website/place where I can post my idea without someone patenting it?

(*)yes better than IOS,android,WP etc

Public disclosure prevents anyone - including you - from patenting it.

So let's see it!

>> Public disclosure prevents anyone - including you - from patenting it.
obviously not correct on eg on this forum, if it was true, then why didnt samsung or whoever point to some users post about rounded corners on a phone or slide to unlock or .... obviously they have all been mentioned somewhere, years before apple patented them ;)

heres a moneymaking idea I had this morning,
buy a fancy 3d printer (one that can handle metal) open up a shop in a mall, making eg jewelry (eg ring customized with the customers name/message whatever) I betcha we'll be seeing places like this in a couple years time, as in every good idea, to make cash you've gotta get in early

I think you'll need a better printer than that, it looks like it only handles plastic. No idea of the price prolly set you back > 10k
also instead of selling the printers (which would have limited buyers) Im sure selling ietms eg jewerly has a much more broader appeal

Public disclosure prevents anyone - including you - from patenting it.
So let's see it!
Ideally it needs to be in a printed publication that is read by those in the relevant field.... and the second problem is getting certain POs to read prior art other than patents (and often those are only the ones filed in their own office).

IOS didn't have turn by turn navigation before 6?? I thought Apple were supposed to be pioneers and the forefront of technology? Every new iPhone I see and new version of IOS, seems more and more like Apple products are merely a pair of nice jeans that have been bejeweled.

Ideally it needs to be in a printed publication that is read by those in the relevant field.... and the second problem is getting certain POs to read prior art other than patents (and often those are only the ones filed in their own office).
surely theres some website that is also valid? everythings online now.
If for nothing else to stop the 'slide to unlock' etc patents, how is that simple idea worth millions?
heres a couple similar stuff that I dont think have been used yet

finger rotation (not sure if devices could handle this atm but they will in the future)
- rotate a finger clockwise/anticlockwise, multiple uses zoom,scroll, next tab in a browser etc,
rotate backwards and forwards rapidly (like crushing a bug) to close app/tab etc

similarly to the last (& possible now) u could use subtle left right movements (like erasing/rubbing something out) u could use it to close something eg an app/webpage/tab (could be used to delete an apps icon , this is a better method than what IOS uses as it mimics what u do in real life)

'upgraded' to IOS6, WTF did it have to download >1GB for this upgrade?
(bummer now I have to upgrade my OS/Xcode version)
also my house is now shown in all its b&w glory in apple maps :p

surely theres some website that is also valid? everythings online now.
I guess the problem is the both the transient nature of the internet and the difficulty to verify dates. <shrug>. With a printed and bound dead tree, there are likely to be multiple physical copies and additional sideband records.
If for nothing else to stop the 'slide to unlock' etc patents, how is that simple idea worth millions?
Can't comment on value but I went and searched for that patent (I assume it's this one) and it cites a lot of prior art, so I'd assume it has gone through quite a bit of examination.

so I'd assume it has gone through quite a bit of examination.
perhaps it has but if so then thats very damming of the broken US patent system, you arent meant to be able to patent anything that is obvious.
How is slide to unlock nonobvious? from wiki
"Non-obviousness" is the term used in US patent law to describe one of the requirements that an invention must meet to qualify for patentability, codified in 35 U.S.C. §103. One of the main requirements of patentability is that the invention being patented is not obvious, meaning that a "person having ordinary skill in the art" would not know how to solve the problem at which the invention is directed by using exactly the same mechanism. The Graham Factors, shown below, are used by courts to determine if the claimed invention is nonobvious.
Heres another use for my unbelievable brilliant, noone else would ever think of it, turning gesture .... unlock the device. How do u unlock a door? put in a key and turn it, right?
so on the screen u have a picture of a lock/keyhole
the user put their finger on the lock and turns it, viola 'an unlocked phone'
now give me my patent/millions of dollars!
This is obviously such a brilliant invention on my part noone else could possibly think of it, well except for einstein (but hes dead, so no, noone else has the genius levels required, Im gonna hold my head up high today when I walk down the street ppl are gonna whisper behind their hands, wow there goes zed, the inventor of 'turn to unlock', my name will go down in the anals (yes) of history ).

Back