Internal vs External Console HD debate

seems the circular back limiting the available space. But yeah, unexpected cabinet space can be disturbing.

when i bought sony home theater, i never though the dvd player will be so big that it take almost whole width and depth of my cabinet. and its also very thick. Now my PS4 cant sit in the cabinet. it sits on top of the cabinet and the Center speaker sits on top of the PS4 :/

The best option is to allow both. I am ignorant to any limitation that has forced Sony or MS to make it an either or proposition other than not wanting invest in more comprehensive solutions.

Make room? I don't follow. On the top shelf are the PS4, controllers, charging stations and PS Vita in its cradle. Principally this works because everything (including the PS4) has a tiny footprint (width x depth).

On the bottom shelf is the PS3, MacMini and router along with a junction of ethernet cables. The Xbox One footprint is a tad larger than my original PS3 and that would fit but by the time you've added in the PSU and extra cable and space is now very tight.

Simples! :yes:

Why argue? Put your heads together and come up with a universal charging station HDD powerbrick. :p

Make room? I don't follow. On the top shelf are the PS4, controllers, charging stations and PS Vita in its cradle. Principally this works because everything (including the PS4) has a tiny footprint (width x depth).

On the bottom shelf is the PS3, MacMini and router along with a junction of ethernet cables. The Xbox One footprint is a tad larger than my original PS3 and that would fit but by the time you've added in the PSU and extra cable and space is now very tight.

Simples! :yes:

My xbox one with the external hardrive and power brick will take up a similar if not smaller foot print inside your entertainment unit than your ps4 and controller cradle.

The power brick is behind the console , the hardrive sits on the top left of the console with a 1 foot cable. Everything else is out of site.

Nice setup... If your partner is finicky and prim and proper about having visible cables hanging around, a basket like that is just PERFECT.

The first time I brought the Xbox One to the room of my partner I had to hide the cables in a similar basket. It was fine because the basket was already there in place as a decoration, so nothing had to be changed around, but the power brick, charge & play cables and so on were there in that previously empty basket.
yea it works well and keeps the mess to a minimum

seems the circular back limiting the available space. But yeah, unexpected cabinet space can be disturbing.

It's designed for corners really, which is where our stuff is. It's fine for everything we have now including the enormous fat launch PlayStation 3. It just never occurred to us Microsoft would throw a design curveball like they did with the Xbox One. But I bet it'll get smaller later year or next. It doesn't even need to get smaller, just build in the PSU and offer a larger HDD as standard. That's as well need.

when i bought sony home theater, i never though the dvd player will be so big that it take almost whole width and depth of my cabinet.
Yeah, these are perplexing. I can understand the width because they often have to accommodate a ton of ports on the back and they have to go somewhere, but there has to be a better way.

When all the equipment in a rack respect the basic rules of front-to-back air flow, front user connectors, front buttons and disc tray, installation connectors on the back, internal power supply, IEC power connector or standard USB power, and a single HDMI out for both video and audio, everything is easy to stack and route minimal cabling, with efficient airflow. One side of the rack has power cables to the power bar, the other side has HDMIs to the receiver (which has to be on top for convection) and anything USB powered or charged goes to a wide USB hub.

I like getting a bunch of monoprice power cables, HDMI cables, USB cables, of the exact length I need, it's like $1 to $3 each. It would all be very neat if it wasn't for Nintendo being Nintendo.

Back