Interesting new Wi-fi technology, 240mbps

OICAspork

Newcomer
There is an interesting article at the New York Times that caught my eye. Here is a snip-it.

Airgo said that, in a demonstration of its second-generation technology in a home near its headquarters last spring, a MIMO system wirelessly transmitted a DVD film to a laptop several rooms away, even though a wall abutting a stone fireplace, without signal loss or degradation.

Mr. Raleigh said the third-generation product was more robust, and like its predecessors it was compatible with all existing Wi-Fi-enabled consumer electronics devices like wireless digital cameras, gaming consoles, digital organizers and speaker systems.

Note that the 2nd generation wirelessly transmitted the DVD, not the current 3rd generation. Full article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/19/technology/19wireless.html??th&emc=th

and it's worthless. it just uses multiple 802.11g channels to achieve higher data rates. nothing to see here, really, except a good way to piss off your neighbors by using all the spectrum.

The Baron said:
and it's worthless. it just uses multiple 802.11g channels to achieve higher data rates. nothing to see here, really, except a good way to piss off your neighbors by using all the spectrum.

How dorm-roomy and/or apartment-dwellery a pov. . . ;)

no, seriously, I have enough trouble finding an open channel in the middle of nowhere (thanks to microwaves, cordless phones, etc.). I want my 802.11n...

The Baron said:
... I want my 802.11n...

Is that the WiMax standard?? I'm really looking forward to this technology being widely available. I'm expecting a couple of years from know not to recall what it was to be disconnected while on the road (and I mean real connections, not GPRS or even 3G, which is really expensive BTW).

MatiasZ said:
Is that the WiMax standard?? I'm really looking forward to this technology being widely available. I'm expecting a couple of years from know not to recall what it was to be disconnected while on the road (and I mean real connections, not GPRS or even 3G, which is really expensive BTW).

No, WiMax is 802.16, which is WMAN (wireless metropolitan area network). We are talking huge distances here, tens of kilometers. 802.11n is the addition of MIMO (multipl-input-multiple-output) and OFDM (orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing) to the 802.11 standards (b & g). This basically boils down to multiple channels and a smart way to negotiate and sustain them in a complex environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
wireframe said:
No, WiMax is 802.16, which is WMAN (wireless metropolitan area network). We are talking huge distances here, tens of kilometers. 802.11n is the addition of MIMO (multipl-input-multiple-output) and OFDM (orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing) to the 802.11 standards (b & g). This basically boils down to multiple channels and a smart way to negotiate and sustain them in a complex environment.

I see. Thank you ;)

So basically 802.11n will add the ability to work on places where interferences are common and/or where the walls-floor-sealing is a problem? I currently have some issues in some of our clients because of this, and have gotten mixed results from different hardware companys, but still sometimes they just get low signal even while almost facing each other (AP-client), which is ridiculous

Edit: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Back