Intel Raptor Lake voltage problem

homerdog

donator of the year
Legend
Supporter
13600K here.

Which program do you use to test for voltage spikes? I tried Prime95 with 2 threads and then 14 threads and the highest VID got is 1.291V according to HWMonitor.

Also I've updated my BIOS a few times since I built the PC. At some point my temps have gone way up. I had it <90C with full load when I built it, but now I notice it hitting 100C under full load. Maybe a BIOS update caused this?

13600K here.

Which program do you use to test for voltage spikes? I tried Prime95 with 2 threads and then 14 threads and the highest VID got is 1.291V according to HWMonitor.

Also I've updated my BIOS a few times since I built the PC. At some point my temps have gone way up. I had it <90C with full load when I built it, but now I notice it hitting 100C under full load. Maybe a BIOS update caused this?
at the same ambient temperature?

i installed a contact frame from thermalright for better contact for my cpu cooler

at the same ambient temperature?

i installed a contact frame from thermalright for better contact for my cpu cooler
Ambient is definitely up by about 2-3C. I don't know if that would account for the 10+C increase I'm seeing now since I last checked a couple BIOSes ago.

Searching around shows others with similar temp increases with newer BIOS revisions. I thought these updates were supposed to lower power. I guess maybe less voltage means more current?

Ambient is definitely up by about 2-3C. I don't know if that would account for the 10+C increase I'm seeing now since I last checked a couple BIOSes ago.

Searching around shows others with similar temp increases with newer BIOS revisions. I thought these updates were supposed to lower power. I guess maybe less voltage means more current?
intel guidelines say never above 400 amps and old bioses could push way beyond that so i doubt its that

intel guidelines say never above 400 amps and old bioses could push way beyond that so i doubt its that
400 amps :oops:

I've been playing X4 Foundations and so far VID max is 1.3V. I don't think this is a problem. The temp thing is annoying but unless a game is doing some shader compilation it never gets very hot. I'll mess with that at some point but I don't want to watercool (seen what happens when they leak) or get an enourmous air cooler that puts a ton of strain on the mobo. If my Deepcool AK400 can't handle it, it's using too much power for a gaming PC IMO. It's hot AF in South Carolina and I don't need a 250W space heater next to me in the middle of summer.

400 amps :oops:

I've been playing X4 Foundations and so far VID max is 1.3V. I don't think this is a problem. The temp thing is annoying but unless a game is doing some shader compilation it never gets very hot. I'll mess with that at some point but I don't want to watercool or get an enourmous air cooler that puts a ton of strain on the mobo socket. If my Deepcool AK400 can't handle it, it's using too much power for a gaming PC IMO. It's hot AF in South Carolina and I don't need a 250W space heater next to me in the middle of summer.
you should look at doing light loads like browsing and watching youtube or writing in notepad or something and look what it spikes to

you should look at doing light loads like browsing and watching youtube or writing in notepad or something and look what it spikes to
I have youtube compilations of people dying in Hardware Classic WOW on my second monitor. Still no more than 1.3V and around 55-65C. The people in the compilations however are getting very heated :devilish:

I have youtube compilations of people dying in Hardware Classic WOW on my second monitor. Still no more than 1.3V and around 55-65C. The people in the compilations however are getting very heated :devilish:
repeatedly open and close programs and apps and also move your mouse around a lot

intel are releasing a microcode update (0x129) that should fix temperatures

intel are releasing a microcode update (0x129) that should fix temperatures
I think this fixes the stability/degredation issue (excessive voltage). For some reason I've seen anecdotal reports of elevated temps, though it's unclear which update these were resulting from. I'm still waiting to see how this will impact the 13600K before updating.

I've been doing some more undervolting to lower temps. Was at -0.025V offset for both IA and LLC/Ring.

So far I've settled on IA (core voltage) offset of -0.075V and a LLC/Ring offset of -0.05V. This resulted in a slight clock increase and slightly lower temps. Prime95 still hits 99C on the hottest P core but it's doing so at 5.1GHz consistently now. Before it was 4.9-5GHz. Cinebench R23 multicore score went up by ~300-400pts and temps when running that don't exceed 85C.

I'm wondering how low you can typically go on the 13600K.

This is kind of fun. But it pales in comparison to the tweaking I did on my socket 939 Athlon X2 3800+ and Core 2 Duo E6750. Those were some huge gains. It's been a long time since I really messed with stuff like this.

Last edited:
The voltage spikes that are an issue are transient and require an oscilloscope to pick up. The software monitoring tools and sensors they are leveraging are not fine grained enough to detect them.
thanks i hope my mitigations of lowering multipliers and CPU lite load have taken the edge off because dammit, turns out my MSI MEG Z790 ACE doesnt even have the 125 microcode. come on MSI, gimme a bios asap with 129 or better

Wouldn't turning the E-Core's off allow you to drastically lower voltage and power use?

We used to turn cores off back in the day to give some extra headroom to push overclocks, so I image the same could also be used to lower voltages?

yay, MSI released a new beta bios with the 129 microcode for my board. I flashed it and loaded the Intel defaults but i still set CPU lite load mode to 9 (down from the default of 12)

fingers crossed this will be fine, i havent had any instability with this machine. i may experiment with the settings (PL1, PL2, etc) later but now this is fine

yay, MSI released a new beta bios with the 129 microcode for my board. I flashed it and loaded the Intel defaults but i still set CPU lite load mode to 9 (down from the default of 12)

fingers crossed this will be fine, i havent had any instability with this machine. i may experiment with the settings (PL1, PL2, etc) later but now this is fine
What CPU you have?

I still haven't updated my board (Z790 UD AC) but the BIOS is available. I'll let you go first :)

Have you had any problems? I don't think I have. I guess the i5s can be affected but it's way more rare.
nope but i want to be as safe as possible. i built my last pc in 2015 and this one at the end of 2023 so i like things to last

Back