Intel Kaby Lake + AMD Radeon product *spin-off*

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
That Vega (probably-)11 is fabbed at either GF or TSMC. Probably GF.
I don't believe AMD wants their GPU in Intel's fabs, or Intel wants AMD in their fabs. Chips are built separately and a later fab (probably from Intel?) is used to placed them all into the EMIB.

Judging by Intel provided picture in Anandtech article I say it's custom Vega fabbed at Intel!
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1200...with-amd-radeon-graphics-with-hbm2-using-emib
multichip_678x452.png

It says GPU fabbed in 10nm and I don't recall GloFo or TSMC having that process ;)

At least from the marketing video, EMIB is what is linking the HBM2 stack and the GPU. The interconnect between the two chips would be the area it would be necessary, and potentially a significant portion in making the product practical, although even with one stack and without a full interposer this doesn't appear to be an inexpensive solution.
This seems to put a ceiling on AMD's APU solutions, and a bit of a poke at some of those passive/active interposer paper proposals AMD has been making. If there is no extra foothold on the packaging front, it might be more of a poke at the GPU IP, if it's not worth keeping to oneself.

Perhaps the signalling between the GPU and CPU might be some form of modified PCIe, both chip makers have various spins on it for IO. They've apparently also worked out a protocol with some similarities to the power management over Infinity control fabric as well.

I'm curious about the GPU's particulars. Perhaps this is where some of AMD's attention has been?

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics-2.jpg

This chip looks like it's just Vega 11? taped to a MCM with a Intel CPU, I wouldn't be surprised that the intel GPU is still in there too. Maybe the next generation will be connected more closely through silicon.

With a dedicated HBM2 stack, the performance level of this GPU is clearly way above Raven Ridge's.

To me it looks like Apple just won't let go of using Intel for CPUs and AMD for higher-performance GPUs (i.e. they're not fully convinced with Zen's performance). And in the off-chance Apple would rather go ARM + nvidia for laptops and AiOs, Intel and AMD had to work together to give Apple what they wanted.
Or it is Radeon division just sticking two fingers up to the CPU division, on another forum quite some time ago was raised there seemed to be some conflict of interest for AMD as a whole with some behaviour from both VPs, more so with the Radeon division.
It would be interesting to hear what the VP of AMD's CPU division thinks of this deal, considering they are really now cut out of a high profit margin sector even before they have the chance to bring a product to that market.

Or it is Radeon division just sticking two fingers up to the CPU division, on another forum quite some time ago was raised there seemed to be some conflict of interest for AMD as a whole with some behaviour from both VPs, more so with the Radeon division.
It would be interesting to hear what the VP of AMD's CPU division thinks of this deal, considering they are really now cut out of a high profit margin sector even before they have the chance to bring a product to that market.
You could say it is in the interest of the AMD CPU division and VP to team up with Nvidia because Intel is the competition for them *shrug* in HPC/Analytics/etc ; yeah as a whole it is a mad idea but then this is what Radeon is causing by teaming so closely with Intel IMO.
They have neither time nor EMIB to create such SKU to serve a market of 45W+ firestarters.
Besides, it's the third semi-custom win Lisa was talking about.
And no one, in their very sane mind, would team up with nVidia.

They have neither time nor EMIB to create such SKU to serve a market of 45W+ firestarter.
You do realise AMD CPU Division cannot now compete in the lucrative performance/enthusiast mobile segment?
And there would had been a higher margin for CPU division to bring their own high performance mobile product to market rather than the deal with Intel.
I doubt we will ever know now what AMD CPU division could had done.

Like two replies up.
That old geekbench? I would hardly consider that a confirmation of Polaris. Assuming the Intel render isn't just made up but based on actual dimensions, it's highly likely to be 6-core Coffee Lake (possibly with igfx literally cut off aka new die), Kaby Lake is far more square die than that

You do realise AMD CPU Division cannot now compete in the lucrative performance/enthusiast mobile segment?
Not only its silly niche, but 35W housefires + Vega11/Vega12 will do.
And there would had been a higher margin for CPU division to bring their own high performance mobile product to market rather than the deal with Intel.
High margins, low volume.
And we're talking economy of scale here.

They have neither time nor EMIB to create such SKU to serve a market of 45W+ firestarters.
And no one, in their very sane mind, would team up with nVidia.
AMD has planned far bigger MCM Zeppelin + Vega (Greenland) for quite some time

That old geekbench? I would hardly consider that a confirmation of Polaris. Assuming the Intel render isn't just made up but based on actual dimensions, it's highly likely to be 6-core Coffee Lake (possibly with igfx literally cut off aka new die), Kaby Lake is far more square die than that
Its Kaby Lake-H, quad-core, confirmed by Intel.
And yes, it's Polaris.
No, denial won't do anything.

Not only its silly niche, but 35W housefires + Vega11/Vega12 will do.

High margins, low volume.
And we're talking economy of scale here.
Gaming laptops are not niche (while lower sales though generally this is offset by even higher margins)....
And that is just one area for such products.

Back