Intel Iris Pro 580 underwhelming performance

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Nihilist, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yeah, I'm going to rely on some random person on YouTube to do as rigorous a job of determining the average performance of an API in Doom? Especially when pretty much all review sites who have to do things in a somewhat rigorous and repeatable manner show that Vulkan is either faster or at worst about the same as OGL? Yeah, I don't think so.

Regards,
    SB

2. DavidGraham

Veteran

Well, several media outlets have shown the exact same thing, OGL providing better fps than Vulkan, I am actually quite surprised some people seems to unaware of this, pcgameshardware did a piece on this as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Granted this behavior is not consistent in DOOM, some levels provide equal fps between OGL and Vulkan, sometimes Vulkan has the edge too, but many levels show OGL hammering Vulkan, it happens on many mid tier GPUs as well (see the 4GB Kepler 760/770 GPUs above). You don't need to read about this in tech sites as they will not test every GPU and every configuration, especially old ones. You need to see this in users reports on the forums, reddit threads as well as social media.

3. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

Go check the results for benchmarks with TSSAA. That should be the mode that will start showing some differences as it's one of the few modes with the features enabled.

4. Paran

Regular Newcomer

It just means that they currently don't have plans to add Vulkan support into the current driver branch of official drivers (15.45), Vulkan drivers in the meantime are shared as beta for developers, although all users may install it. I expect official Vulkan support for the next driver branch, but this may take a long time. In the past 6-12 months. This is really lame from Intel.