Intel Iris Pro 580 underwhelming performance

Actually, most reports on the web state how poor Vulkan runs compared to OGL, massively so. Here is a glimpse on a GTX 980m, showing OGL running up to 50% faster than Vulkan:

Yeah, I'm going to rely on some random person on YouTube to do as rigorous a job of determining the average performance of an API in Doom? Especially when pretty much all review sites who have to do things in a somewhat rigorous and repeatable manner show that Vulkan is either faster or at worst about the same as OGL? Yeah, I don't think so.

Regards,
SB

Well, several media outlets have shown the exact same thing, OGL providing better fps than Vulkan, I am actually quite surprised some people seems to unaware of this, pcgameshardware did a piece on this as well:

Dota2_Vulkan.jpg

qrOyVG6.png

doom_1920_o.jpg

doom_1920_v.jpg

Granted this behavior is not consistent in DOOM, some levels provide equal fps between OGL and Vulkan, sometimes Vulkan has the edge too, but many levels show OGL hammering Vulkan, it happens on many mid tier GPUs as well (see the 4GB Kepler 760/770 GPUs above). You don't need to read about this in tech sites as they will not test every GPU and every configuration, especially old ones. You need to see this in users reports on the forums, reddit threads as well as social media.

Well, several media outlets have shown the exact same thing, OGL providing better fps than Vulkan, I am actually quite surprised some people seems to unaware of this, pcgameshardware did a piece on this as well:
Go check the results for benchmarks with TSSAA. That should be the mode that will start showing some differences as it's one of the few modes with the features enabled.

Thank you for posting the link Kaarlisk. :) I did not imagine it could be that hard to find the source link.

That is what Intel's current plan is and that is what I have posted here. Whether or not their plans might change in the future is not my call to decide. Might change, might not. ATM it looks like no support, while every other major vendor has production level drivers out there. But hey, if my mainstay were powerful latency optimized cores, I'd have low level APIs rather later than sooner as well. Might eat into my competitive advantage, when a 100 Euro AMD-quad can do the same as my 300 Euro quad.

It just means that they currently don't have plans to add Vulkan support into the current driver branch of official drivers (15.45), Vulkan drivers in the meantime are shared as beta for developers, although all users may install it. I expect official Vulkan support for the next driver branch, but this may take a long time. In the past 6-12 months. This is really lame from Intel.

Back