Inquirerer on monitors, and I like it!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Colour me shocked, but I do believe I finally found an Inquirerer op-ed that I totally agree with:

1280x1024 does not pose as a problem until I saw benchmarks and games running at 1280x1024 4xTMSAA and 16xAF - the picture quality is there, but you feel something is wrong.

When I swapped my LCD for a three year old 19-inch CRT from Iiyama, running at both 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 - I got the proof that the CRT is far from being dead, at least when it comes to gaming in the best possible manner. The colours are more vivid, and AA is far more noticeable than on an LCD.

So, if you're contemplating buying a new monitor, just consider this. Is it worth getting those 10 inches on your desk, and losing quite a lot in games, or stick with the 100 year old technology that fits the bill just perfectly?

The question of LCD superiority always comes up in online discussion. It's not easy telling people that CRTs are superior for many things, especially those things people who are enthusiasts often want and need. I can completely understand the casual Internet, Word, and Solitaire user to want an LCD. They are slim, offer sharp text, and don't require much, if any, tuning. They are essentially perfect for the non-techie who just wants to get on with it.

However, LCDs aren't just bad for gaming. I can't believe how many times I have been caught up in discussion about how CRTs are needed for graphics work, but many people just won't believe that LCDs lack color fidelity. I don't think people question that what they see when they browse Yahoo, etc is what was the intended look. Doing phot work on a consumer LCD is suicide unless you are doing it all by maths and numbers. They just don't have the capablity of representing images in a way that you can use feel to adjust them and know the result that comes out of the printer will match.

Another issue is frame rates. I think all gamers want more frames per second, so I am somewhat taken aback by gamers recommending LCDs. It seems this is a trend because the LCDs in questions are new and expensive so they are something like parking an expensive car outside your house. Unfortuntely, this doesn't mean you know how to drive.

I have several LCDs at my disposal, starting at 15" and going up to 19" and they are great for reading text online and basic stuff. However, they have some major problems when in comes to fast gaming and it's not just ghosting. The worst thing I have seen is that they switch themselves off when the screen becomes very dark. So, there you are...sneaking up on the enemy or hiding from him and *poof*....you need to shake your mouse like crazy and wait two seconds for the monitor to decide to display what is going on.

Gawd...I just needed to rant a bit. I didn't even read the article! :oops:

Go read it, it's short and pretty good. You raise a number of points I agree with.

The color match thing I'm not too sure about since I've never really done any professional level stuff and eyeballing it is more than sufficient for most of my needs, but the gaming stuff is right on the money.

The ghosting, refresh rates, display size, AND price difference still just gives the total advantage to the CRT for the gamer.

digitalwanderer said:
Go read it, it's short and pretty good. You raise a number of points I agree with.

I will, but I have read so many of these types of articles and, more importantly, particiapted in debates (who cares what one person publishing on the Net says, right? I can't even respond.)

The color match thing I'm not too sure about since I've never really done any professional level stuff and eyeballing it is more than sufficient for most of my needs, but the gaming stuff is right on the money.

The funny thing is that we are now seeing DVI on LCDs and this system should help eliminate improperly calibrated screens. The irony here is that the actual LCD screen (the final point in the chain) is incapable of reproducing the image correctly. For example, you will see that professional CRTs often have BNC connectors for component input. DVI is technically better and there is no analog-digital conversion, but the final medium fails.

The ghosting, refresh rates, display size, AND price difference still just gives the total advantage to the CRT for the gamer.

I guess I don't think about the price so much. The novelty is wearing off and prices are coming down, but I look at it from a perspective of "can it deliver at all?" and for some things the answer is "no" unless you are buying very specialized TFTs that costs thousands and thousands of dollars. I think they are basically great, but I just don't like how there was that instant "CRT replacement" movement when an LCD simply cannot do what most CRTs can.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both sides, it's a matter of opinion on which is better.

this is why i have my trust crt for gaming and my 19inch lcd for browsing . I used to have a 17 and a 19inch crt but the lcd saved so much room .

PC-Engine said:
Color fidelity on LCDs will be a moot issue pretty soon when tricolor LED backlit LCDs hit the market.

http://www.necdisplay.com/press/PressDetail.cfm?document_id=1124

Sony Qualia LCD TVs already use this. They have the same sort of relationship with Lumiled as NEC.

Anyhow currently this technology, though improving the color gamut, does have its own set of problems it brings including; price, heat, and power requirements.

In a couple of generations when they move to strobe or duty-cycled LEDs it will be much, much better, imo. Till then CCFL is pretty good alternative.

Don't get me wrong though, it's good technology that is almost great. Can't wait for it to take just a couple of more small steps so I can replace my top of the line Sony CRT.

Ty said:
PC-Engine said:
Color fidelity on LCDs will be a moot issue pretty soon when tricolor LED backlit LCDs hit the market.

http://www.necdisplay.com/press/PressDetail.cfm?document_id=1124

Sony Qualia LCD TVs already use this. They have the same sort of relationship with Lumiled as NEC.

I'm aware of that, but here in this thread we're not talking about hooking up a $10K tv to a computer, we're talking about desktop displays for computers for use with graphics related work...

Mostly, LCDs have some issues when playing twitchy FPS. As I don't play those very much, I like an LCD for gaming.

The artwork issue is moot as well to me, as most of the artwork I produce is viewed on computers. So I have to take incorrect displaying of colors and low res into account and play it safe in either case.

Back