Infinium sues [H]

Cutter said:
Just think. If Kyle hadn't written his article, we could all be playing really kewl games like SOF2 and Half Life on our TVs at dumbed down resolutions and semi-playable speeds. Actually, we could be DREAMING about playing them, since we'd still be downloading the damned things... :rolleyes:
That's the thing that just never worked for me with the whole Infinium scheme, the infrastructure just wasn't there to support downloading "play-on-demand" games like they were billing it.

I think in a court that Infinium is going to have to do a WHOLE lot better than just a video tape of a kid playing in front of a mocked-up console. 8)

digitalwanderer said:
That's the thing that just never worked for me with the whole Infinium scheme, the infrastructure just wasn't there to support downloading "play-on-demand" games like they were billing it.

I think in a court that Infinium is going to have to do a WHOLE lot better than just a video tape of a kid playing in front of a mocked-up console. 8)

C'mon, d/l new games like UT2004 and Far Cry would be a hoot.

John Reynolds said:
C'mon, d/l new games like UT2004 and Far Cry would be a hoot.

The Dig grimaces in pain as he notes what site he is posting at and very firmly bites down on his tongue to keep his hilariously razor sharp reply where it belongs.

Yes, quite.

can you imagine trying to download Far Cry onto that thing?

Good lord. Broadband companies will be cutting people off left and right after they go over their allotments...

BEHOLD the POWER OF MY 256 MB PHANTOM as it attempts to download and play a 3+ GB Game!!!

COWER in PHEAR as I show you 10 BLAZING FRAMES A SECOND of FAR CRY running at 640x480!!!!!!!

Might as well rename the console to BSOD while they're at it...

"well hey. it kinda sounds like its similar to the XBox or PS2"

future Penny Arcade strip...

"Hey! You got a Phantom!!!"

"Yep!"

"Any good games?"

"Sure! I've spent at least 20+ hours on UT2004 alone!"

"Kewl! How does it play? Similar to PC?"

"Dunno. Still waiting for the download to finish"

Ba-dum Ching

...slow day at work. almost doubled my post count on this thread alone...

:p

Cutter said:
future Penny Arcade strip...

"Hey! You got a Phantom!!!"

"Yep!"

"Any good games?"

"Sure! I've spent at least 20+ hours on UT2004 alone!"

"Kewl! How does it play? Similar to PC?"

"Dunno. Still waiting for the download to finish"

Ba-dum Ching

...slow day at work. almost doubled my post count on this thread alone...

:p

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Most excellent! :LOL:

CMAN said:
Infinium will need to prove Kyle is false in his allegations. If he causeed harm to the company, but with accurate and true information, then Infinium cannot win anything.

I totally agree. If Infinium does not prove that the allegations were false, then I agree that Infinium should not win the lawsuit.

CMAN said:
I think Infinium will win one part though. Kyle did use the copyrighted images of their logo and such without permission. But I do not think that will result in any large type of settlement. Anyone know anything about copyright settlements?

Agreed. I suspect that if and when Infinium determines that's all they can win they will settle out of court. It wouldn't make sense for them to go through all the trouble of the trial just for the copyright portion.

Tommy McClain

But would Kyle be willing to settle at that point?

As far as the logo, Kyle discussed this in a follow-up article and mentioned something about "fair use". Not sure how that would hold up under a judicial microscope, but it sounded like he was fairly confident that he was ok. Also, after it was brought up in the first place, he removed the logo from the article after they asked him to.

aaronspink said:
AzBat said:
You might have more of a case if Infinium Labs was a public company, but since its private it's a different ball game. They'll probably be only required to show to the court whatever they showed the investors that withdrew their financial support. If it was good enough to get multi-million dollar financial support before they read Kyle's article, then it should be sufficient for the courts.

Whether or not it was good enough to get the financing before the article is immaterial to the issue at hand. The defense that they really weren't going to get the funding or that the article didn't have an impact on the funding at going to be minor issues.

My reply was in response to Dig's theory that in order for Infinium to win the lawsuit they would be required to show more proof of product than what Infinium had already shown to potential investors. I don't believe it's immaterial, but I also don't think they should have to prove more than what they already did to potential investors either.

aaronspink said:
AzBat said:
The problem here is that Kyle's article caused un-substantiated doubts over the company and CEO.

And there is nothing legally wrong with this.

True, but it's those doubts that were caused by defamatory and malicious statements. Do you not agree Kyle's statements were not defamatory to Infinium's reputation and caused them financial harm?

aaronspink said:
AzBat said:
If Infinium proves the doubts in Kyle's article were false , then that means Kyle's article was "malicious and defamatory".

Not, it simply means that it was false. There is no legal recourse for an article that is merely false for a public entity, which by any definition Infinium Labs and its CEO are.

The issue of whether the article is malicious is very very hard to prove in a court of law. Infinium and its CEO will have to prove that Kyle set out in the article with the expressed purpose to spread lies and falsehoods with the intent to harm them.

I was under the impression that malice was not the only method that Infinium could prove. Couldn't they also prove wreckless disregard or at least negligence?

aaronspink said:
AzBat said:
Had they corrected them early on, then more than likely the investors would have invested their money and we wouldn't be here today.

What Kyle could verify as incorrect was corrected. All the other information comes either from public sources or interviews.

Not sure about that there are some details with regard to some of the points in the letter sent to Kyle that were not address(3,6,10,16 were just a few that jumped out).

Tommy McClain

MfA said:
How can you say you would vote guilty without even knowing the exact charges? The question is not wether he is guilty of being an asshole remember, but wether he broke the law in Florida ... I dont think you are fit for jury duty :)

LOL, about fell out of my chair on that one. ;) Maybe I'll use that the next time I'm called for jury duty. ;)

Anyway, I said I had read the charges by Infinium, the article, letters and subsequent article update and with that info I "probably would side with Infinium Labs". However, I also continued with "but that could change by the end of it". I'm sticking with that till hear more from either side, but entirely possible my opinion could change.

Tommy McClain

I still think your readiness to side with them in legal terms is downright silly, unless you forgot to mention the part where you are deeply knowledgeable about relevant Florida law for some reason or other. We can apparently both agree it will almost certainly not meet the standards of libel.

From a moral standpoint they havent got a leg to stand on, the guy left a string of bankruptcies behind him and put family businesses on his resume as references. When you are no longer allowed to write about that when it concerns the head of a company who you think is looking for more VC/pensioners money to put down a drain then we might as well scrap freedom of speech out of the fucking constitution (we have it too here).

His past is his responsibility.

I think it's rather funny that in addition to a product that defies logic, Infinium is shooting themselves in the foot by alienating the early adopters of its product with this suit. When I say early adopter, I mean those of us bereft of logic and needing the latest thing.

Sxotty said:
What I understood is they filed a suit in Texas, then Hardocp filed a brief to get a declaratory judgment so they wouldn't have to go to court over this bs, then infinium dropped the current suit so that the declaratory judgement would not go through, and moved a new suit to another state, but hey I don't know, I bet it says on HardOCP eh?

I don't believe this is correct. From what I saw, Infinium did not sue [H] at all initially, but notified them privately that the months-old article was incorrect and libelous, and that if they did not take it down *then* Infinium would sue. There is a very big and fundamental difference between threatening a lawsuit privately in a letter and filing a lawsuit publicly. All the difference in the world.

Additionally, Infinium's settlement requirements were very reasonable, given that all [H] had to do to comply was to remove an archived article that was months old and had already been read by everyone who was going to read it. To my knowledge Infinium did not ask [H] for a retraction, any money, or to in any way admit publicly to any wrong-doing or inaccuracy or embarrassment whatever. Had [H] complied with Infinium's initial request they'd simply have taken the article down and since it was already months old the damage was already done (so keeping it up longer wouldn't have served any purpose anyway), and I'm quite sure no one would ever even have noticed it was gone. And, had [H] complied with Infinum's initial private request, none of the rest of this would ever have occurred and none of us would even know about any of it today.

Instead, [H] decides to take it personally, make the matter public, and "preemptively" (that was the exact word [H] used, I believe) sue Infinium in a Texas court ([H] resides in Texas, I think) under a statute that seems to me wholly inapplicable and therefore their "preemptive" suit is likely to be thrown out. In other words, [H] filed the first lawsuit, not Infinium. From what I understand, [H]'s position was that Infinium prove [H]'s claims false, and the lawsuit [H] filed in Texas "preemptively" was designed to bluff Infinium out of its posture and to back them down. As you can see, the bluff did not work. From what I've read, Infinium's response to the Texas state-court suit filed by [H] was to respond by submitting a petition to the Texas court for dismissal. I would not be surprised to see it granted.

The problem with [H]'s "preemptive" posture in such a matter is that in libel suits the defamed or libeled party *never* has the burden of proof. That is, no matter what the claims are, the aggrieved party, the plaintiff, has no burden whatever to prove the remarks false. Rather, the burden of proof lies with the defendant, who must prove that the remarks he made were true. Demanding that the plaintiff prove your libelous remarks false is almost as bad as mounting no defense at all--it is worthless.

In example, let's look at a hypothetical and suppose an imaginary case wherein AnandTech writes an article on B3D and states in the text that "Dave Baumann sold heroin in highschool to his friends to fund his first foray into computer technology, and today the website B3d is still largely funded by the illegal sale of heroin." Let's also suppose that Dave sees this and takes a dim view of the statement as he has no recollection of selling heroin to anybody at any time. So, he writes AnandTech a private letter and asks AT to remove the article or be sued, since what is written in it is false and defamatory.

Let's also suppose that AT decides to publicize the matter at this point and to move the issue from being private into the public spotlight, and declines to settle the matter, and further decides to sue B3D "preemptively" to make B3d "prove that Dave Baumann never sold heroin"--in other words, AT is demanding that Dave prove their charges false--since obviously AT has no proof that the charges it made as to Dave ever selling heroin in the first place were ever true.

So...how's Dave going to be able to "prove" that he never sold heroin? He can't say, "Well, I've never been charged and convicted for that offense in my life," since the charge was never that he had ever been *caught* for doing it, but rather that he simply did it and profited from it, which is hard to do in the event you get caught. At this point, the only thing Dave could is to deny the charge, and maybe produce affidavits from people he knew in highschool who would swear he never sold heroin, as far as they knew. In short, Dave could never 100% prove such charges false, and regardless of his denials, some people would inevitably believe the charges true.

That's exactly why libeled and defamed plaintiffs do not have to "prove the charges false"--rather, the party making the libelous and/or defamatory statements must prove those statements true. In this case, Dave B. would have a field day and win easily, unless AT could prove that he in fact sold heroin. Thus ends the hypothetical.

Back to reality. If you take the fictional analogy I present above and change the names to [H] for AnandTech, and substitute Robbins (or whatever his name is) for Baumann, and replace B3d with Infinium, and you change the charge from "selling heroin" to "defrauding investors," then you have a very fair approximation of what has taken place here, as it looks to me.

So, I was not surprised to see Infinium (Infinium resides in Sarasota, FLA, I believe) not only responding to the [H]-filed "preemptive" Texas state-court suit by filing a motion for dismissal there, but also by subsequently filing a libel and defame suit against [H] in Federal court in Florida when it became obvious [H] wasn't interested in settling the matter privately. Infinium actually sued [H] only after [H] first sued Infinium, is the order of events as I understand them. Infinium has to file in Federal court in order to have any judgement it might procure be actionable and enforceable across state lines, so that is why they had to go to Federal court (a civil state-court judgement in FLA wouldn't go very far in Texas, or at least not very easily.)

Ostensibly, the [H] defense for calling the Robbins guy a crook and Infinium a sham and a fraud company in that article was to "protect investors" from Infinium's wily and crooked ways. There's just one little problem here, though:

Where are the Infinium investors [H] declares it is trying to "protect," and WHO are those Infinium investors? I haven't read anything written by [H] that leads me to believe [H] has a clue to who they are and how much, if any, they consider themselves hurt by their Infinium investments and/or "defrauded" by Robbins. But, it gets really interesting here:

The proper folks to be suing both Robbins and Infinium at the present time, if what [H] alleges is true, are those very same investors, correct? But I've seen nothing in the public record which makes reference to any lawsuits brought against Infinum and/or Robbins by its private investors. If there were such lawsuits filed they'd be public record, and if [H] knew of them, then this would substantiate [H]'s claims and I have no doubt [H] would have been careful to reference them in the article.

But, in the absence of the mysterious investors coming forward themselves to make the allegations [H] made in the article, investors suing Infinium *themselves* because they perceived they had been defrauded, it makes little common sense to suppose there is any merit whatsoever in the negative and defamatory statements [H] made about Robbins and Infinium, statements which [H] knew it could *not* reasonably prove to be true when it made them. It strikes me as strange that [H] would try and stand up for investors who are not standing up for themselves, especially since the money invested belongs to the investors and not [H] (unless [H] is also an Infinium investor and simply has not seen fit to reveal this aspect of the matter--which I find highly improbable.)

On the contrary, Infinium investors may actually be furious with [H] themselves, and may well perceive that [H]'s "protection" has seriously damaged their future prospects for seeing a return on those investments as it publicly undermines both the company and the products they have invested in. How on earth could [H] claim to be "protecting" Infinium investors without considering this aspect of the matter?

It's easy to see that at this stage of the game defaming Infinium is the same as trashing the money Infinium's investors have put up. In this sense, [H]'s article was as much an assault on Infinium's investors as it was on Infinium itself, because obviously the two are indivisible. In short, if you yourself do not have money invested in small, private companies, you should never assume to stand up and speak for such investors without ever having talked to them about it. In short, I think the Infinium investors know far more about whether they've been defrauded by Infinium than [H] might ever hope to know. It will be interesting to learn if these investors are themselves suing Infinium. If not, then I think [H] has once again crawled out on a limb only to turn around and saw it off...;)

Here are the cardinal mistakes I think [H] has made with respect to this matter:

*Prior to publishing the disputed article, [H] should have sent the text to Robbins and Infinium for comment and/or rebuttal, and [H] should have published any rebuttal Infinium made along with the rest of the article. This would have protected [H], primarily, and is good advice for anyone contemplating publishing articles which contain derogatory and defamatory comments which you are aware you cannot, as the publisher of that article, directly prove yourself. From what I've read, [H] published its comments based on hearsay and gossip picked up in Internet forums. Any dolt knows that's not "proof" of anything.

*[H] erred grievously, in my opinion, by not accepting Infinium's private settlement offer which simply consisted of, according to my understanding of what [H] has professed publicly, removing the months-old article from its archives. [H] should have accepted this offer primarily because [H] already knew it had no "proof" of its allegations, and [H] should have known that demanding the target of defamation prove your charges false won't fly in court, and means just about nothing as to proving that what you have said is true. Any decent attorney would have told [H] that. And, had [H] settled the matter in this way, then no one would ever have known about it except [H] and Infinium.

*[H] seems to have some misguided idea that publicizing all of this might help its legal cause in some way. Not a chance--Infinium is a small, private company apparently struggling to produce a product and Infinium as such has no highly visible public profile to be damaged by such publicity. Hence, calling out a public cheerleading squad in this case to toss frenzied Bon-Bons for [H] will not serve to dissuade Infinium from its present course of action, and certainly will not influence the court. If anything, it seems to indicate maliciousness on the part of [H], and would serve to hurt [H] in this particular matter, I would guess.

In short, if [H] can prove to a judge's satisfaction that Robbins and Infinium are the crooks and frauds [H] says they are, [H] will be in the clear and have only some large legal bills to defray. But if [H] cannot prove it, and brings to court a bunch of forum post reprints from unidentified parties as its "proof," well...then it becomes only a matter of how much the judge thinks the article has financially damaged Infinium, if any. The very best [H] can hope for I think is that both its suit and Infinium's suit are dismissed and that [H]'s legal bills aren't astronomical. That's the *best* [H] can get, I think, and as such it makes the fact that [H] did not jump all over Infinium's initial private settlement offer all the more remarkable, in my opinion.

Cutter said:
can you imagine trying to download Far Cry onto that thing?

Good lord. Broadband companies will be cutting people off left and right after they go over their allotments...

<Hypothetically speaking of course... >
Maybe I'm just spoiled, but d/ling UT2004 DVD takes less than 8 hours and same thing with FarCry DVD. This is using the Usenet server provided by the ISP (no additional costs) even though it limits one to only 1.5mbit/sec (which is only half of the downstream connection). If one shelled out a little bit of money a month, one could download at 3mbit/sec from some other Usenet provider. That would cut the download time to around 4hours.

As far as one recieving cut-off notices and warnings from the provider, this ISP hasn't done anything even upon one downloading nearly 200Gigs a month for a little over two years.
</Hypothetically speaking of course... >

Now if you had a steam-like system that 'precached' the game, downloading in the background or overnight, then the online delivery system of even the newest games are very feasible, for those lucky enough to have a good broadband connection.

WaltC said:
Sxotty said:
What I understood is they filed a suit in Texas, then Hardocp filed a brief to get a declaratory judgment so they wouldn't have to go to court over this bs, then infinium dropped the current suit so that the declaratory judgement would not go through, and moved a new suit to another state, but hey I don't know, I bet it says on HardOCP eh?

I don't believe this is correct. From what I saw, Infinium did not sue [H] at all initially, but notified them privately that the months-old article was incorrect and libelous, and that if they did not take it down *then* Infinium would sue. There is a very big and fundamental difference between threatening a lawsuit privately in a letter and filing a lawsuit publicly. All the difference in the world.

You're right and that's what [H]'s suit was all about. It forced infinium to act or withdraw.

Additionally, Infinium's settlement requirements were very reasonable, given that all [H] had to do to comply was to remove an archived article that was months old and had already been read by everyone who was going to read it. To my knowledge Infinium did not ask [H] for a retraction, any money, or to in any way admit publicly to any wrong-doing or inaccuracy or embarrassment whatever. Had [H] complied with Infinium's initial request they'd simply have taken the article down and since it was already months old the damage was already done (so keeping it up longer wouldn't have served any purpose anyway), and I'm quite sure no one would ever even have noticed it was gone. And, had [H] complied with Infinum's initial private request, none of the rest of this would ever have occurred and none of us would even know about any of it today.

Why should they comply? I don't think it's a secret that Kyle is a stubborn sob anyway, but for the most part I would call their article an accurate depiction of the bad joke that is Infinium. Pyramid schemes and florida land are better investments imo.

Instead, [H] decides to take it personally, make the matter public, and "preemptively" (that was the exact word [H] used, I believe) sue Infinium in a Texas court ([H] resides in Texas, I think) under a statute that seems to me wholly inapplicable and therefore their "preemptive" suit is likely to be thrown out. In other words, [H] filed the first lawsuit, not Infinium. From what I understand, [H]'s position was that Infinium prove [H]'s claims false, and the lawsuit [H] filed in Texas "preemptively" was designed to bluff Infinium out of its posture and to back them down. As you can see, the bluff did not work. From what I've read, Infinium's response to the Texas state-court suit filed by [H] was to respond by submitting a petition to the Texas court for dismissal. I would not be surprised to see it granted.

I wouldn't call it a bluff, that may have been [H]'s best result, but I do think they'd rather be in court than under threat of it.

The problem with [H]'s "preemptive" posture in such a matter is that in libel suits the defamed or libeled party *never* has the burden of proof. That is, no matter what the claims are, the aggrieved party, the plaintiff, has no burden whatever to prove the remarks false. Rather, the burden of proof lies with the defendant, who must prove that the remarks he made were true. Demanding that the plaintiff prove your libelous remarks false is almost as bad as mounting no defense at all--it is worthless.

They have to prove they were damaged. If you make statements about someone and no one cares, there is no damage. Also for the most part the article reads like a documentary/editorial there isn't really a lot he needs to do to prove it wasn't false other than present it.

[terrible analogy snipped]

Back to reality. If you take the fictional analogy I present above and change the names to [H] for AnandTech, and substitute Robbins (or whatever his name is) for Baumann, and replace B3d with Infinium, and you change the charge from "selling heroin" to "defrauding investors," then you have a very fair approximation of what has taken place here, as it looks to me.

At what point did [H] say that Robbins defrauded investors? I must have missed it.

This whole case comes down to a couple things,

1)was [H]'s article defamatory or libelous?
2)was infinium damaged by it?

While the article was most certainly not flattery I am not convinced it was libel. Most of the evidence they present seems to be based on some research if not extensive.

I don't know if they were damaged by it, but anyone who believes Infinium is a good bet should contact me immediately for investment opportunities. I thought Infinium was a joke long before [H] wrote their article and that had little to do with Robbins' past ventures.

Walt you gotta write shorter posts...

And yeah I already looked into that as I said I would after posting and you are somewhat right.

Although if you actually read the letter that [H] got it wasn't some friendly, "btw there are these errors and we would appreciate it if" kinda letter, it was more like "we have attack lawyers and if you don't do what we say then we will set them loose"

I hope [H] wins and infinium goes broke before they can defraud another 20million from stupid people.

The initial legal threat got big coverage, [H]'s essential non-compliance would never have had the same impact. So from Infinium's point of view it was a win/win situation, wether [H] backed down or not. Best case he retracts, worst case they sow some FUD and have [H] change a few minor details and pretend they won.

AFAICS what Kyle did was get majorly pissed off, and decided not to play it by their rules at all and do something they had not counted on. Throw down the gauntlet in a way more visible to potential investors than just keeping the article up with minor changes ... he wanted to go to court, and left them no choice.

MfA said:
... he wanted to go to court, and left them no choice.

That struck me too, Kyle WANTED to end up in court no matter what....that kind of makes me think that he might know something that we all don't know.

Kyle ain't stupid where it comes to money and business, he very well could have an ace up his sleeve we don't know about.

AlphaWolf said:
You're right and that's what [H]'s suit was all about. It forced infinium to act or withdraw.

That's a rather strange perception...;) Let's review: [H] receives a private, written grievance from a party who has a problem with an unbsubstantiated, unattributed article [H] has written months earlier which is now an archive and is being read by almost no one currently (if anyone.) The aggrieved party states that the article contains false and defamatory information about him and his company and proposes a simple remedy. The party further states that if [H] will not comply then as the aggrieved party he will be *forced* to sue to get satisfaction, considering the nature of the defamatory remarks the article makes.

What is unclear about that? Hence, there was no need for [H] to do anything at all to "get Infinium to act," as you put it, since Infinium had clearly stated an intention to act in the absence of the remedy it asked for.

Additionally, the statute referenced in public comments made by [H]'s lawyers clearly isn't relevant to the [H] vs. Infinium situation as publicized and characterized by [H]. The only logical conclusion to be reached then is that the Texas suit brought by [H] was a bluff to attempt to test the mettle of Infinum. Now, facing a suit in Florida Federal court, [H] apparently believes that Infinium meant what it said in its original letter. Somebody at [H] apparently needs to learn to read a bit better, since [H]'s "preemptive" suit was wholly unnecessary to engage the attention of Infinium...;) The [H] article was quite enough in itself to accomplish that, and the letter about which [H] complains proves that [H]'s "preemptive" suit had nothing to do with engaging Infinium's attention, since Infinium's grievance letter to [H] predates [H]'s "preemptive" suit.

Rather than a "preemptive" suit, which would only serve to provoke Infinium to sue in return, my advice would have been for [H] to keep the matter private, engage Infinium in a constructive dialogue, and settle the matter outside a courtroom. Considering the remedy that Infinium proposed was so incredibly light and unburdensome, I am still in awe at [H]'s conduct, which seems just a tad shy of "mad-hatter" material...;)

Why should they comply? I don't think it's a secret that Kyle is a stubborn sob anyway, but for the most part I would call their article an accurate depiction of the bad joke that is Infinium. Pyramid schemes and florida land are better investments imo.

When someone writes you a *private* letter in relation to your professional business activities, public or private, in which a specific grievance is stated, a remedy proposed, and a lawsuit is threatened in the absence of the relief asked for, you have two choices:

(1) You can react by exploding with righteous indignation and wrapping yourself in a cloak of holy sanctity, denying the validity and reality of the grievance you've received, and deluding yourself into thinking that your cloak will be an effective shield against the slings and arrows of the wicked person who dares to challenge you--which means you respond by publicly ridiculing the person who has privately stated his grievance, publicly ridiculing the grievance itself, publicly demanding that the person "prove the charges false," and then by publicly suing the person "preemptively." (Heh...;) I still can't get over the whackiness and utter futility of that strategy.)

(2) You can take the matter seriously while it is in the private, non-litigation phase, and try dialogue--private dialogue--with the aggrieved party in order to work out a private solution palatable to both parties, with the goal of keeping the matter private and avoiding courtrooms and lawyers. Again, considering that [H] has always known it had no *direct proof* of the allegations it made in the article, which is tantamount to being on the losing end of a libel suit, should one be filed over libelous or defamatory remarks, and considering that the remedy proposed by Infinium was *so incredibly light*, I find it remarkable that [H] did not comply. The private letter Infinium sent to [H] did not merely threaten a suit, it offered a *remedy to avoid a suit*--and the cost of compliance for [H] would have been nil.

People often do not understand that denying the reality of a complaint and wishing it wasn't so, and talking to your family and friends about the "injustice of it all" does not excuse you from taking it seriously and responding to it. You cannot wish these things away by denying that they are real. That is why [H] should have complied with Infinium's original settlement offer, in my opinion. Had [H] done so no one outside of [H] and Infinium would have known about any of this, the matter would have been concluded, and the impact of [H]'s original article would have remained undiminished. In short, had it complied, [H]'s "victory" would have been total and complete, and without any need for lawyers and courts. But by taking choice #1 above instead of choice #2, [H] has already lost, in my opinion.

In a situation like this, apart from the two choices above, there are no others. Whatever the "truth" is about Infinium--that is irrelevant to [H]'s current situation, which is that [H] must *prove* that what *[H] said* in the article about Infinium and about Robbins is true. That is the only way for [H] to avoid losing, and that's going to be a much tougher, much more expensive row to hoe than compliance with Infinum's original remedy would have been. Because...suppose the Internet rumor and scuttlebutt the [H] article is based on is....wrong? Suppose it is wrong, horribly incomplete, and like so much of Internet scuttlebutt, not worth the e-paper it is written on? [H] will find itself in a very humiliating public posture, not to mention embroiled in a very expensive process.

Here's the thing: it must be assumed that had [H] any real proof that investors or other people were being "defrauded" by Infinium in any manner, then it follows that proof would have been included in the [H] article as such proof would have legitimized the article and pretty much have rendered it immune to charges of libel or defamatory speech. What would "proof" consist of? A few things come to mind:

(1) Quotes from named and fully identified individuals working with Robbins or Infinum who claim to have been defrauded in that relationship.

(2) Quotes from fully identified Infinium investors who would go on record saying that they believed they'd been so defrauded by Robbins/Infinium.

(3) Records from Florida state courts which demonstrate that Infinium/Robbins are currently being sued by investors or other people over fraudulent dealings--these would be public record, I believe, in Florida. Also, records of civil judgments in prior cases where Robbins and his companies lost fraud damage cases in prior years relating to other companies and ventures would have added validity to the article's charges that Robbins is a con man with a history of cons.

(4) Since fraud is not only a civil offense but is also a criminal offense, any information [H] could dig up pertaining to specific criminal investigations in Florida targeting Infinium and/or Robbins for fraud would serve as further proof, and insulate [H] from charges of libel or defamatory speech, in my opinion. Does Robbins have a prior criminal record in Florida for fraud con, etc.

(5) Quotes from indentified law-enforcement officials in Florida involved in those investigations, and willing even to just admit that Infinium was being investigated, would have been absolutely super...;)

These are just a few of the things [H] should have included in its article prior to accusing both a company and its principals of fraud. These are things any professional journalist would know without having to be reminded. Obviously, [H] does not understand these things.

Now, had [H] actually made a convincing proof of its allegations by way of the avenues I suggest above, and more, I'd be congratulating [H] on some very good, sound, investigative reporting and my opinion would be that [H] has nothing to worry about. The reason my opinion is as it is, though, is because in reading the [H] article I saw no proof in it of any of the charges made, nor did I see anything in the article which would cause me to believe [H] had any such proof. The thing is that regurgitating unattributed Internet forum rumor simply does not constitute proof of anything. [H] has no excuse for not knowing that, imo.

In the absence of proof, the [H] article makes lots of defamatory charges while making no effort to prove any of them. Take the "house" thing, for instance, which I'll *paraphrase* as I recall it:

"Last time I talked to Robbins he was bragging that he'd raised $25M for Infinium and the Phantom, and next thing you know, he's building a $4M house."

The clear inference and thrust of these remarks as printed in the [H] article is that Robbins raised $25M from investors and stole $4M of it to build himself a house. The only problem is that the [H] article makes only the charges--it provides *no proof whatever* that:

(a) Robbins raised $25M, or $1, for that matter

(b) That Robbins has personal, unsupervised, carte blanche access to whatever money his investors have put up for the Phantom

(c) That Robbins owns a $4M home, or any home, for that matter

(d) What kind of mortgage exists on Robbins' home in terms of how much of it was financed, whatever it cost, if Robbins owns a home

(e) What Robbins' income may be, outside of Infinium, if any (the article does not even consider this question)

(f) That whatever money Robbins used to purchase whatever home he has was in any way money improperly appropriated via the defrauding of Infinium investors (whoever they may be)

I could on on here and say a lot more about just this one specific example. I hope it will illustrate how much easier it is to make scurrilous charges than it is to prove them...;) That's why I think [H] should have jumped at Infinium's offer as it was originally made.

Basically, to even think [H]'s charges credible *as he presented them*, we have to believe that Robbins is an obvious crook, but that investors there, specifically the Infinium investors, not to mention the local and state police in Florida, are all undisputed, total morons, and that while Robbins steals and pilfers from them in broad daylight with wild abandon, gorging himself conspicuously with his ill-gotten riches, they see nothing at all and have no conception that he is ripping them off....:D If you are like me, you find that prospect highly unlikely. Heh...;)

Understand that I'm not "taking sides" on the Infinium issue. The truth is that I *know nothing* about Infinium, Robbins, or its investors. I'm addressing my comments to the notion that [H] knows as much about Infinium as I do, but has decided to print public charges of moral turpitude against the company and its principals that it feels it does not have to investigate and prove (if you haven't proved your points you have not investigated them.) And that, precisely, is why this situation has developed as it has, in my opinion, apart from the reality that if [H] had simply silently removed the article as *asked* none of this would ever have come to public attention, and there'd be *no* situation for [H] to deal with at all with regard to Infinium. I worry for [H] that its article is long on spurious defamation and almost completely void of verified fact. If it gets to court, it is fact that [H] will need--the rest doesn't count.

Back