In the memory of Rachel Corrie.

Clashman said:
So, lemme get this right? If your brother kills someone, I should be able to bulldoze your house? Moreover, if while bulldozing your house, I happen to kill someone who was trying to keep your house from being bulldozed, it's their fault? What kind of sick twisted attempt at rational thought is this?
What kind of sick twisted way of oversimplifing the situation. I guess in your little world, there are no suicide bomber, there are no babies who are massacred when buses explode with no warning, no people who are blown up to smitherin while drinking at a cafe. Yes lets us simplify that situation to "a brother kills someone", that is exactly what is happening there. :rolleyes: Maybe youd like the israelis to provide the palestinians explosives, and then bend over.

IF the palestinians where peacefully protesting and then the israelis where buldozing their homes, that would be different. However the situation is a complete mess.

later,
epic

If its reasonable to assume that Palestinians should peacefully protest when Israeli soldiers rocket an apartment complex and blow a dozen children to bits, then why isn't it reasonable to assume that the Israelis should peacefully protest when a Palestinian suicide bomber blows a dozen Israeli children to bits? At least a suicide bomber is killed when they commit the act. When was the last time an Israeli soldier was even disciplined for killing Palestinian civillians?

Houses are being demolished for several reasons. One, as a known punishment to families of suicide bombers. You can't very well punish the suicide bomber themselves, so you let them know that they'll be hurting their family for committing the crime.

Second, houses along the Gaza strip border (as I believe the one that was being demolished when Corrie was killed ) are commonly used as safe houses and cover for the weapons smuggling tunnels between Egypt and Gaza.

It is not 'collective punishment' as you termed it.

And the nitwit climbed up on top of the pile of churning dirt in front of the blade. Not that she deserved what she got, but it shouldn't have come as a big suprise.

And Clashman, palestinian deaths are always investigated by the IDF. Some are even punished. But you don't read that, because you only focus on what you want to read.

epicstruggle said:
John Reynolds said:
epicstruggle said:
She is to blame for the continuing violence. Plain and simple. If instead she would have concentrated in stoping violence from the other side, that would have been a worthy cause. Although she probably would have died too.

later,
epic

So if Rachel Corrie had stayed here in the States the Palestinians and Israeli government would've brokered a peace settlement by now, that's what you're arguing?
since we cant be bothered to read all the posts in a thread. Ill make it easier and quote you what I said earlier in this thread:
Im not sorry she is gone, people like her are what cause this conflict to last longer than it should. If the world united against arafat and its crooked govermnent, we could solve this problem within months, and you could finally have a palestinian country.
later,
epic

I read all the posts in the thread. I just think it's ludicrous to place the level of blame on protestors that you are. Writing that you're not sorry she's dead just boggles my mind. I mean, I can understand holding the opinion that such activity might actually be counter-productive to any hopes of peace resolutions, but not writing she is to blame for the continuing violence. Plain and simple. . .she was stupid. . .she was a bump on the road. . .etc. It's very easy to sit back and judge, and I find it amazing for a young American, however possibly wrong or misguided, to have the courage and conviction to stand before that bulldozer. Think about the last few seconds before her eyes were telling her that she'd be trapped, how her instinct of self-preservation must've been screaming in her mind for her to jump away to safety. Generally speaking, we're a plastic, soft, materialistic society who rarely master anything, so while I do think this young girl threw her life away a part of me finds it rather admirable that she did so fighting for the rights of others.

Sorry, John. I can very well see that some people think the ISM are enablers of continued violence. Even assuming they don't actively attempt to help terrorists (as I've seen claimed of Corrie trying to prevent the demolition of a house used to smuggle arms), they do unecessarily give them hope that violence will bring about an answer.

Everybody who cheers on the perpetrators of terrorism in the name of "resistance" are a little bit responsible for the result, dead "peace" activists, included.

The number one rule when operating heavy machinery is to ALWAYS know where everyone is around you. If you don't, then you stop. It's that simple. The only thing that could mitigate the operator is if she had run out in front of the bulldozer suddenly. If there was a crowd milling around, and I assume there was, the operator should never have even started the bulldozer.

That was manslaughter at best, and quite possibly murder. Accident, my arse.

As for peace activists being stupid, you're wrong. They have different priorities, that's all. Some people are taking a long term (and largely unsuccessful, so far) approach to resolving the conflict in Palistine. Rachel was trying to help on an everyday level. So what if the house was used for weapons trafficking? It's a house that could have been used by a displaced family. Knocking it down only serves to perpetuate the cruelty and hatred that is rampant in the region.

[Edit]Sorry, this post isn't directed at you, Russ. More of a general comment to the people who like to cast aspersions on the memory of someone who died doing what they thought was right[/Edit]

RussSchultz said:
Houses are being demolished for several reasons. One, as a known punishment to families of suicide bombers. You can't very well punish the suicide bomber themselves, so you let them know that they'll be hurting their family for committing the crime.

How can anyone who hasn't been hit in the head with a rock repeatedly think that kind of asinine solution would actually work? In fact, I'd be willing to bet that would increase violence, because when someone suicide bombs a bus, they're probably thinking about the LAST time the Israeli government bulldozed their house, not the next. It's just adding fuel to the fire.

Furthermore, out of well over 2,000 Palestinian civilians killed by Israeli soldiers since the 2nd Intifada began, (which absolutely dwarfs the number of Israeli civilians killed by Palestinians), there have only been 10 cases where an Israeli soldier has been indicted, (as of a month ago it was eleven, I think, but that was for murdering a UK ISM activist, not a Palestinian). Of those indicted, at most 1 has been convicted, and he got a whopping 49 days in jail for it. If that isn't impunity, I don't know what is.

Clashman said:
If its reasonable to assume that Palestinians should peacefully protest when Israeli soldiers rocket an apartment complex and blow a dozen children to bits, then why isn't it reasonable to assume that the Israelis should peacefully protest when a Palestinian suicide bomber blows a dozen Israeli children to bits? At least a suicide bomber is killed when they commit the act. When was the last time an Israeli soldier was even disciplined for killing Palestinian civillians?
I wonder which came first, the israelis rocketing terrorists, or palestinians suicide bombing cafes/buses/... :rolleyes: The circle of violence started with the palestinians, you cant bomb terrorists until they actually become terrorists.

The world needs to unite against palestinian terrorist. Once that stops, you can move forward towards peace. Theres no other way. Your really dreaming if you think the israelis will just keep taking suicide bombings. With many nations supporting the wrong side, you actually encourage them to suicide bomb.

later,
epic

Clashman said:
RussSchultz said:

How can anyone who hasn't been hit in the head with a rock repeatedly think that kind of asinine solution would actually work? In fact, I'd be willing to bet that would increase violence, because when someone suicide bombs a bus, they're probably thinking about the LAST time the Israeli government bulldozed their house, not the next. It's just adding fuel to the fire.
an additional problem is that even when the israelis have stopped doing anything to retaliate a suicide bombing, they still get suicide bombed! I remember several instances, where the israeli govermnent opened towns up, removed curfews, made life better in general, and what did they get in return? More suicide bombings. Thats why sharon got elected.
Furthermore, out of well over 2,000 Palestinian civilians killed by Israeli soldiers since the 2nd Intifada began, (which absolutely dwarfs the number of Israeli civilians killed by Palestinians), there have only been 10 cases where an Israeli soldier has been indicted, (as of a month ago it was eleven, I think, but that was for murdering a UK ISM activist, not a Palestinian). Of those indicted, at most 1 has been convicted, and he got a whopping 49 days in jail for it. If that isn't impunity, I don't know what is.
Im sure your right with these figures, but could you provide a source since you are quoting numbers.

later,
epic

RussSchultz said:

So Russ, if you lived there and had a brother who was a total nucase and decided to blow himself up, you'll be happy to wake up with your house demolished?

JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
RussSchultz said:

So Russ, if you lived there and had a brother who was a total nucase and decided to blow himself up, you'll be happy to wake up with your house demolished?
I have no way of confirming this, but most suicide bomber obitiuary(sp?) shows them as reasonable people who have nothing to loose. They are then brainwashed into believing that this is the only way [fill in reason]. What was sad, is when women started becoming suicide bomber. No reason to differentiate palestinian men or women, they now can both be suicide bombers.

later,
epic

I generally stay out of these discussions...

but I just want to voice some questions/thoughts....

How many israeli civilians will become israeli soldiers?

How many israeli civilians were already soldiers and are now civilians again?

Think of this when you say:

Palestinians bomb civilians.

with regards to killing Israeli and Palestinian children....

very sad and should never happen on both sides......

but every israeli child will one day become an israeli soldier...

not every palestinian child will become a terrorist....

:(

Re: I generally stay out of these discussions...

o.d. said:

I guess that means all israelis babies must die. Then we can have peace.

later,
epic

epicstruggle said:
o.d. said:

I guess that means all israelis babies must die. Then we can have peace.

later,
epic

:rolleyes:

figures you would focus on one sentence instead of viewing the whole idea for context........

what you are saying is israeli civilians are being killed.

what I am saying is all israeli civilians will eventually become soldiers ore already were soldiers. In other words there are no israeli civilians in the long term......

what I ALSO say is killing children is wrong.

You seem to say

'it is okay to kill palestinian children, but not israeli children'

I am saying neither is acceptable.

come on... focus on the arguments rather than the semantics please....

o.d. said:
;)
figures you would focus on one sentence instead of viewing the whole idea for context........
That was quite a sentence.
what you are saying is israeli civilians are being killed.
Yes.
what I am saying is all israeli civilians will eventually become soldiers ore already were soldiers. In other words there are no israeli civilians in the long term......
What about tourists, vacationers, conscientious objectors, pacifists, those who move out of israel before being drafted, israeli muslims, the handicap, and the mentally ill. All these people are not required to join the military. SO dont they have a right to not be blown up. Ive just shown you that not every Israeli grows up to be members of the army. ;)
what I ALSO say is killing children is wrong.
Seems like you did.
You seem to say

'it is okay to kill palestinian children, but not israeli children'
:oops: Where did I say that, or even imply that. I re-read all my comments before i started replying to your post, and could not find an instance where I even suggested anything like that.
I am saying neither is acceptable.
Again, your post above did not read that way.
come on... focus on the arguments rather than the semantics please....
:rolleyes:

The quickest way to stop all the violence is for the palestinians to get rid of arafat, elect a moderate leader, STOP SUPPORTING TERRORISTS, actually put the bad guys in jail. While this is happening the israelis really need to get some of the settlers out of palestinian lands, move their fence/wall to the green line, and slowly ease some of the inconviniences of the palestinian lives. First thing that needs to happens is for the suicide bombers to stop. just my 2 cents, my prediction though is that the circle of violence will not stop for a long time.

later,
epic

RussSchultz says:

“Houses are being demolished for several reasons. One, as a known punishment to families of suicide bombers. You can't very well punish the suicide bomber themselves, so you let them know that they'll be hurting their family for committing the crime.â€￾

By international law and the Geneva Convention it is forbidden for an occupation force to punish a person for a crime he or she did not commit. That is called collective punishment and are defined as a war crime.

In the world war II the Germans killed ten prisoners for every German soldier the resistance killed. They who gave that orders ware convicted for ware crimes for that even though it is no question that it led to fewer killings of German soldiers by the resistance.

Therefore demolishing of the home of a suicide bombers family is a war crime. It is specially brutal when that home are in a building with many apartments which is then all demolished.

Rachel Corrie was trying to prevent the Israelis from conducting a ware crime and for that they killed her.

RussSchultz also says:

“Second, houses along the Gaza strip border (as I believe the one that was being demolished when Corrie was killed ) are commonly used as safe houses and cover for the weapons smuggling tunnels between Egypt and Gaza.â€￾

The Israelis has demolished thousands of homes which were a families homes in most cases. Of course there are few instances that a weapons were in a house they demolished but that are a few instances. There are no weapon smuggling to the Palestinians. Someone sell them weapons and someone give them weapons. The fact that they hide it for the Israelis do not make it smuggling rather than selling or giving weapons to the Israelis. The Palestinians have the right to get themselves weapons to defend themselves against Israelis attacks.

The story that the house Corrie was trying to save is an Israelis lie as well as Israelis stories that the ISM are helping terrorists. At first the said that she got here injuries by a slab of concrete and that no bulldozer or house were in the neighborhood. After the pictures from the incident were shown they changed the story to an accident.

Here are the pictures from the incident.

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1248.shtml

Maggi said:
The Israelis has demolished thousands of homes which were a families homes in most cases. Of course there are few instances that a weapons were in a house they demolished but that are a few instances. There are no weapon smuggling to the Palestinians. Someone sell them weapons and someone give them weapons. The fact that they hide it for the Israelis do not make it smuggling rather than selling or giving weapons to the Israelis. The Palestinians have the right to get themselves weapons to defend themselves against Israelis attacks.
smuggling:To bring in or take out illicitly or by stealth. Are you saying that palestinians didnt smuggle these weapons they use??:oops:

If palestinians didnt suicide bomb themselves, Israelis wouldnt have to buldoze homes, or try to assisanate terrorist. See, the circle of violence begins with the terrorists, but continues endlessly.

BTW families of suicide bomber receive cash, fame, ... after a suicide bombing by their family member. They are just as complicite as the actuall bomber.

later,
epic

epicstruggle said:
I wonder which came first, the israelis rocketing terrorists, or palestinians suicide bombing cafes/buses/... :rolleyes:

That comparison is biased and wrong on so many levels. Actually, what REALLY came first was the eviction of tens of thousands of palestinians in post-WWII to create the state of Israel to begin with. That was a theft of land and property on a scale that has rarely been seen since.

That it was all done for a good purpose doesn't change the fact the land selected to become Israel was already populated, and it all hence for all intents and purposes was stolen.

Also, Israelis don't rocket TERRORISTS. They rocket a house, or apartement, or car or such that they believe houses one or more terrorists. Problem is, they don't always hit the target, and quite often also hit innocents, including children! Israel has an army, they have special forces troops, they have the intelligence to locate these targets to begin with, so why they instead send rockets blindly towards the target is a rather frightening question to answer.

The answer is, of course, that the Israeli value their soldiers, whose JOB it is to fight, higher than the lives of Palestinian innocents, including children whom have nothing to do with terrorism. Is that right, you think? Don't dodge aside and respond with some lame BS like "THEY started it!", etc. Just answer the question straight up.

The circle of violence started with the palestinians, you cant bomb terrorists until they actually become terrorists.

Where the violence against civilians ACTUALLY STARTED is not only impossible to determine now, after this much blood it's not really relevant any longer. It goes on because the other side did something that now needs to be avenged, and neither side even bothers to deny that.

What's certain though is it did NOT start at the Palestinian side just because you want it to be that way.

The world needs to unite against palestinian terrorist.

What about the Israeli state terrorism then? The rocketing/airbombing of civilians; the collective punishments including locking down entire cities in curfew for days at a time; the destruction of homes of people unrelated to acts of terrorism; the answering of thrown stones with live rounds from automatic weapons; continuous theft of more land to build illegal settlements or build walls turning whole regions into Apartheid "homelands" or simply to extend Israeli agriculture space, etc etc etc etc?

Once that stops, you can move forward towards peace. Theres no other way.

Problem is, with that line of reasoning it will NEVER stop because the blame for this situation does not solely reside on just one side. There are human beings with pride and anger on BOTH sides, one side is just a bit more desperate than the other, hence the suicide bombers.

If Israel did not oppress the Palestinians like they do now, shitting on them on a daily basis and chaining them down in deepest poverty and despair, you can be sure the majority of suicides would stop, because if you got something to live for you don't WANT to die. When you got NO future however, and someone can provide you the means of taking some from the other side with you, blowing yourself up will start to sound like a pretty damn tempting proposition.

Your really dreaming if you think the israelis will just keep taking suicide bombings.

...And we can ALL see how effective their current "eye for an eye" strategy of violence in return for violence is... :rolleyes: Jesus, don't you realize this is just maintaining status quo; continued killing on BOTH sides?

With many nations supporting the wrong side, you actually encourage them to suicide bomb.

Actually, making sure the Israeli stay in power as the master race, THAT is a very good recipie for more suicide bombings...

The Israeli needs to continue to strike back at terrorists and their organizations, but they need to strike at the terrorists ONLY, not at the terrorists' innocent greater families, their neighbors; the people in the apartement nextdoor or across the street, the man with three children who drove by in the car just as the missile hit, etc.

Israelis need to stop harassing and delaying Palestinians at border checkpoints, even to the point of critical patients in ambulances actually dying on the way to hospital or pregnant mothers miscarrying. They also need to stop ruining the lives and economy of the Palestinian people by for example erecting roads and walls cutting off villages from their farmlands and orchards and locking people in so they can't get to their jobs. Etc. Doing THAT is how you create terrorists, Epic!

It's not enough to just cut back a little on the harassment like they sometimes do, open the borders for a little while etc. The economy in the Palestinian territories is BEYOND rotten, and it's contrary to popular opinion amongst conservatives not just the fault of the corrupt old. fat terrorist Yassir Arafat (you might just as well apply those adjectives to Sharon too btw). It all needs to STOP. Arafat needs to go, but he'll be dead soon anyway. Also... The illegal settlements on occupied land needs to be abandoned. ALL of them, not just the ones the Israeli government calls illegal. The illegal Apartheid wall needs to go. The occupied territories needs proper infrastructure; water, sewage, power. HOUSES. Etc, etc.

There's so many reasons the current situation exists, but at this stage it's not enough to fix just one or two of them; a major effort MUST be done or it'll just continue the same way; creating misery for both, but mostly on one side.

The Israelis can't afford this either, the loss of goodwill abroad and spiralling military costs is hurting their economy too much.

It might well be just one person's fault when two fight, but it is NOT just one PEOPLE's fault when two fight, and since Israel is the stronger of the two they need to show more responsibility and restraint. Currently, they're not really showing any.

"I am constantly surprised by how much I hear racism talked about and how little I actually see it," -Dinesh D'Souza

Suppose that depends on where one's looking... ;)

Guden Oden said:
epicstruggle said:
I wonder which came first, the israelis rocketing terrorists, or palestinians suicide bombing cafes/buses/... :rolleyes:

That comparison is biased and wrong on so many levels. Actually, what REALLY came first was the eviction of tens of thousands of palestinians in post-WWII to create the state of Israel to begin with. That was a theft of land and property on a scale that has rarely been seen since.
I'll leave it for others to more precisely state history, but this land has been owned/fought over by both sides for thousands of years. Who it belongs to is a relative question. ;)
That it was all done for a good purpose doesn't change the fact the land selected to become Israel was already populated, and it all hence for all intents and purposes was stolen.
Again, the question of whose land it was is relative to how far back you go.
Also, Israelis don't rocket TERRORISTS. They rocket a house, or apartement, or car or such that they believe houses one or more terrorists. Problem is, they don't always hit the target, and quite often also hit innocents, including children! Israel has an army, they have special forces troops, they have the intelligence to locate these targets to begin with, so why they instead send rockets blindly towards the target is a rather frightening question to answer.

The answer is, of course, that the Israeli value their soldiers, whose JOB it is to fight, higher than the lives of Palestinian innocents, including children whom have nothing to do with terrorism. Is that right, you think? Don't dodge aside and respond with some lame BS like "THEY started it!", etc. Just answer the question straight up.
YES. Same as I value my life more than yours. So if i had the option of killing you without endangering me, id take it in a heart beat.
The circle of violence started with the palestinians, you cant bomb terrorists until they actually become terrorists.

Where the violence against civilians ACTUALLY STARTED is not only impossible to determine now, after this much blood it's not really relevant any longer. It goes on because the other side did something that now needs to be avenged, and neither side even bothers to deny that.
You must be in denial. When the israelis where trying to get a peace deal done, they started the process of give/take with their counterparts. A deal for peace could have been reached if the suicide bombers hadnt resumed after months of quiet. See it always starts with the terrorists.
What's certain though is it did NOT start at the Palestinian side just because you want it to be that way.
Yes it did.
The world needs to unite against palestinian terrorist.

What about the Israeli state terrorism then? The rocketing/airbombing of civilians; the collective punishments including locking down entire cities in curfew for days at a time; the destruction of homes of people unrelated to acts of terrorism; the answering of thrown stones with live rounds from automatic weapons; continuous theft of more land to build illegal settlements or build walls turning whole regions into Apartheid "homelands" or simply to extend Israeli agriculture space, etc etc etc etc?
You get rid of your so called "israeli state terrorism" and you would still have palestinian suicide bombers, you know why? Because they want ALL ISRAELIS DEAD. Can you understand that.
Once that stops, you can move forward towards peace. Theres no other way.

Problem is, with that line of reasoning it will NEVER stop because the blame for this situation does not solely reside on just one side. There are human beings with pride and anger on BOTH sides, one side is just a bit more desperate than the other, hence the suicide bombers.

If Israel did not oppress the Palestinians like they do now, shitting on them on a daily basis and chaining them down in deepest poverty and despair, you can be sure the majority of suicides would stop, because if you got something to live for you don't WANT to die. When you got NO future however, and someone can provide you the means of taking some from the other side with you, blowing yourself up will start to sound like a pretty damn tempting proposition.
The blame lies squarely at the feet of the corrupt palestinian govermnent. Especially arafat, has he ever _really_ cracked down on the terrorists?
Your really dreaming if you think the israelis will just keep taking suicide bombings.

...And we can ALL see how effective their current "eye for an eye" strategy of violence in return for violence is... :rolleyes: Jesus, don't you realize this is just maintaining status quo; continued killing on BOTH sides?
So youd rather, they keep taking it? Because the terrorist wont stop until all jews are dead.
With many nations supporting the wrong side, you actually encourage them to suicide bomb.

Actually, making sure the Israeli stay in power as the master race, THAT is a very good recipie for more suicide bombings...
Whats your solution? Have all israelis killed? :rolleyes:
The Israeli needs to continue to strike back at terrorists and their organizations, but they need to strike at the terrorists ONLY, not at the terrorists' innocent greater families, their neighbors; the people in the apartement nextdoor or across the street, the man with three children who drove by in the car just as the missile hit, etc.
a quote from malone from the movie "the untouchables":
You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send on of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way, and that's how you get Capone! Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that?
Israelis need to stop harassing and delaying Palestinians at border checkpoints, even to the point of critical patients in ambulances actually dying on the way to hospital or pregnant mothers miscarrying.
Tell the palestinians suicide bombers to stop using these tactics to get into israel to commit crimes. ;)
They also need to stop ruining the lives and economy of the Palestinian people by for example erecting roads and walls cutting off villages from their farmlands and orchards and locking people in so they can't get to their jobs. Etc. Doing THAT is how you create terrorists, Epic!
laugh, these people dont care, they just want to kill. Osama with all his wealth still wants to kill. Their hatred comes from an extreme view of the koran.
[snip]ill respond to this other part later, tired. Going to sleep. ;)

later,
epic

Epic,

It could well be argued that "terrorism" began with the displacement of Palestinians from their land, or Deir Yassin, or 1982, or with the daily humilation Palestinians have to undergoe at the hands of Israeli soldiers and settlers, who are illegally occupying Palestinian lands. It can be argued that in many instances the Israeli government has deliberately ignored ceasefires declared by the PA, (and even Hamaas), and has carried out targeted killings that has only encouraged Palestinians to respond in violence. The fact is, however, that at this point in time it doesn't really matter who started it, because both sides are neck deep in shit, so to speak.

Also, you were looking for links to the statistics I quoted earlier. Here's a couple:

Palestinian Deaths Since 2nd Intifada: 2779
Israeli Deaths: 861
http://www.mepc.org/public_asp/resources/mrates.asp
(Note: While Palestinian deaths listed are only civilians, the Israeli number includes over 200 Israeli soldiers, who are legitimate targets in an illegal occupation, as well as settlers illegally occupying Palestinian lands)
U.S. Equivalents:
Population Citizens Killed* U.S. Equivalent**
Israel 6,116,533 861 40,870
Palestine 3,512,062 2,779 229,74
http://www.mepc.org/public_asp/resources/equiv.asp

In January, the Guardian noted that:
It is rare for Israeli soldiers to face criminal charges for shooting civilians in the occupied territories, even though many of the hundreds who have died during the intifada were killed in suspicious circumstances. Just 10 soldiers have been indicted and none convicted to date.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,1122691,00.html

Then, a whopping 2 weeks ago, we got our first conviction, (that I was able to find), for killing a Palestinian since the 2nd Intifada began:
http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/redir.php?jid=e3c7e73363511dae

Furthermore, you often see instances where if a Soldier or Settler is convicted, the charges are often downplayed significantly compared to crimes committed by a Palestinian. There have been several cases in which Israeli settlers have merely recieved community service and a fine for murdering Palestinian civilians. Here's a couple links to articles on that subject:
http://www.btselem.org/english/open_fire_regulations/Jag_Investigations.asp
http://www.phrmg.org/PHRMG Documents/Settlers violence/Testimonies/Report/ch_2.htm

While Palestinians are regularly sentenced to 12 months or more in prison for throwing stones[22], settlers who throw stones at Palestinian vehicles and homes, are almost never apprehended, let alone given prison terms. In a recent case, Nahum Korman (37) who was the security coordinator of Beitar Illit settlement near Bethlehem, was given 6 months community service and a NIS 70,000 fine for beating 12-year-old Hilmi Shousha to death in 1996. Korman attacked Shousha for throwing stones at him, kicked him and beat him on the head with the butt of a pistol. The lenient sentence was the result of a plea bargain ? from murder to manslaughter ? which State Prosecutor Edna Arbel, in response to massive criticism by human rights groups, the media and Justice Minister Yossi Beilin, admitted was ?a mistake?.[23]

By contrast, on the same day (January 21, 2001), an Israeli military court sentenced Su?ad Hilmi Ghazal, a Palestinian girl from Sebastia, near Nablus, to 6 ½ years in prison. In 1998, she tried to stab a settler from Shave Shomron and managing to injure him. The crime was committed when she was 15 and allegedly suffering mental problems. After her arrest in 1998, Ghazal was held incommunicado for 37 days, without access to a lawyer or her family, despite the fct that she was a minor. Of those 37 days, 17 were spent in solitary confinement. Because Ghazal was tried under military law, she will not be eligible to have her sentence reduced by the President, or to be paroled for good behaviour.[24]

Officer Convicted of causing Palestinian's death by negligence:
http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/redir.php?jid=e3c7e73363511dae
(Note: It is more than negligent to shoot and kill someone standing on their porch for violating an impromptu curfew)

Back