Impact of nVidia Turing RayTracing enhanced GPUs on next-gen consoles *spawn

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by vipa899, Aug 18, 2018.

1. troyan

Newcomer

Turing != Pascal with RT and TensorCores.
    GP100 was worse than GP102 for gaming, too. The whole architecture is much more future proof.

Innovation comes from trying. DLSS is brand new. It is the first time that somebody is recreating pictures in real time without programming it.
    And most upscaling techniques on consoles are still worse than DLSS with more blur and more artefacts...

DavidGraham likes this.
  2. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Yup, that's a fair remark. If the training data and the test data is the same, we can achieve 100% accuracy, it's not even really pushing the system. A little cheap to present that.

Having said that, they did also showcase Atomic Heart DLSS + RT which is an actual game.

We will know real performance when we see BFV and Anthem and their DLSS implementations and more important when image quality sites get their hands on it.

Ike Turner likes this.
  3. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Intresting, perhaps more so then upscaling. Its a good thing those tensorcores can be put to use to more then just dlss.

4. DavidGraham

Veteran

I am well aware of them, we've seen temporal reconstruction used in actual PC games already, in Rainbow Siege and Watch_Dogs 2. I tried them, and they were bad. With edge shimmering and very modest AA capabilities.

I am aware, I was just bringing Quantum Break as an analogy for a game that uses advanced GI + advanced upscaling to obtain good performance from modest hardware. NVIDIA is basically doing the same with ray tracing, especially for mid range GPUs. I was also reaffirming the success of this model on consoles if they will be using ray tracing.

The full Final Fantasy 15 game already supports DLSS in a "beta" state, supporting only 4K at the moment. Results are not bad so far.

On another note, Radeon VII apparently supports DirectML. Though it does it in "software" mode.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-...to-nvidias-deep-learning-super-sampling-dlss/

pharma and vipa899 like this.
  5. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Great find.

Yea I should be clear that having tensor cores is not the only method to getting AI acceleration performance. it is 1 method. But it does not have to be the only one. This is a good sign, and in all fairness, I would not necessarily consider it 'software' mode. It's is traditionally how we do AI over GPUs and there are things/ways AMD could have changed the architecture to obtain significantly more performance without having to do fixed function hardware like a tensor. Looking at MI60 for instance.

6. DavidGraham

Veteran

AI performance with the MI60 pales in comparison to something like a Volta GPU for example. The Volta is 3 times faster because of it's Tensor Cores.

[​IMG]

pharma and vipa899 like this.
  7. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

That should be kind of a given since shader/compute units are a more functional programmable ALU vs the less capable tensor units. :wink4: It's because of the fixed function nature that makes the tensor units small enough that nV can shove 10 shitloads of them to boost the FP16 throughput (for particular workloads descended from the heavens).

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  8. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Agreed. I think i've seen this before.
    This is going to be especially true for neural network setups. When I meant changing the architecture for more performance, I should have been precise in comparing it to a standard GCN compute unit, not a tensor core ;) That's like asking a GPU to compete with an ASIC bitcoin miner... no chance in hell.

2 caveats though we should consider specifically
    a) this graph is about DL training performance, and on console we expect to be running the models, not training them :)
    b) machine learning outside of 16 bit precision, the MI60 should be very competitive.

The other aspect I would consider is trying to figure out how if possible the MI60 configuration coujld be usable in the console space. something akin to seeing if MI60 compute setup is sufficient to do ML and graphics tasks. I would say to some degree, without knowing the future exactly, the greatest advantage of tensor is its performance. The greatest disadvantage as that it's fixed for 1 type of model, in this case NN tensor models. What if there are more effective and easier algorithms like SVM? random forests? Do we need to always use a deep learning neural network?

I'm not entirely sure what the future of AI is for consoles at least from an application perspective, but these are considerations that, if I were say MS, these are things worth discussing.
    It's good to have both.

AlBran and Shifty Geezer like this.
  9. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

train it in the cloud?

10. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

that's the right way to do it ;)
    but some data sets are sensitive etc. It's why they wont' allow it.

11. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

The argument there is they made the GPU to sell to lucrative ML and pro imaging markets, and then having designed the silicon for that purpose, put it in a gaming card and tried to find uses for the bits designed for completely different markets. "We need to put in lots of Tensor cores for machine learning. Now how the heck are we going to use that silicon for gaming??"

Silent_Buddha and AlBran like this.
  12. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

That's the key point. Consoles aren't likely to be machine learning, so they just have to execute models. Googles new tiny AI chip shows that that can be handled cheap and efficiently. Whether it's worth putting in a tiny bit of tensor silicon, or just supporting the ML implementations in compute, is down to the GPU designers to figure out.

13. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

That part I mulled over as well. Yea it’s going to come down to the designers to best decide what the future holds. A little bit like the async compute queues. I don’t think we ever heard a story of all 8 being filled out and used versus the 2 on Xbox. And in this scenario, not sure how much power is needed to run AI models, like the expectation of it. I can assume that more power will run things faster ie higher frame rate or higher resolution. But it’s not exactly a 1:1. If you put too much power it may never be used.

But then again, it will also come down to architecture of how it’s setup.

14. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Given the ubiquity of matrix processing in mobile devices eventually, I can foresee GPUs getting at least a small AI block to parallel the video blocks as something that'll be universal across devices and techniques. It's very hard to say what ML could bring to computer graphics without it being the lowest common denominator and so developed for. We'll likely have a few years (generation) of research papers and small examples until ML is ready to hit mainstream processing and be as much a part of games as compute has become.

Maybe something like having an AI block for computer vision and VR tracking stuff and background removal sort of thing, and then devs repurposing it for interesting game applications. I think the hardware designers are going to want to have a clear, useful purpose in mind for the silicon rather than just chucking some in there and seeing where devs take it, with the risk nothing happens and it's waster silicon.

15. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Aren't the tensor cores a key component in their RTRT solution for de-noising?

vipa899 and pharma like this.
  16. turkey

Regular Newcomer

I don't think BFV uses them, Dice said they used their own solution in compute.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-battlefield-5s-stunning-rtx-ray-tracing-tech

While DICE is getting some great quality of the rays it shoots, the unfiltered results of ray tracing are still rather noisy and imperfect. To clean that noisiness up, a custom temporal filter is used, along with a separate spatial filter after that to make sure reflections never break down and turn into their grainy unfiltered results. Interestingly, this mean that DICE is not currently using the Nvidia tensor cores or AI-trained de-noising filters to clean up its ray traced reflections.

17. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yeah but this thread isn't about BFV's implementation. I'm just referring to their existence in Turing in general.

18. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

All the first demos uses denoising on compute. So Tensor cores aren't required for denoising, nor upscaling.

BRiT and Tkumpathenurpahl like this.
  19. JoeJ

Regular Newcomer

BFV does not use tensors here - they implemented their own denoising in compute. (Why?)
    But does anyone know if Port Royal uses NVs denoisers?

Personally i would say upscaling alone does not justify dedicated hardware. It is not so much work to do and does not need to be perfect. (However i am just not interested in high res at all - i can't see a difference between 4k and 2k+ with my blurry eyes :) )
    But if it can do upscaling, RT denoising, and maybe motion tracking for cheap VR to save a lot of expensive sensors...?

And for next next gen there may have been found other applications as well. Synthesized speech maybe - imagine together with locomotion we could get rid of scripted and pre-animated characters completely... revolutionary! And reducing dev costs for thousands of NPCs.
    It may also open new options for game design. Currently, controlling a human avatar with limited input devices adds a lot of restrictions. A third person player that acts smarter but still feels responsive would be a huge win. Smart enemies anyways.
    AI could even bring entire new genres of games eventually. And this is what we would need the most, with everything becoming quite a bit boring at the moment.

20. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

A possible theory is that there is too much overhead on ML, which is why we're waiting for directML to be released. (and also the reason DirectML was created in the first place)
    All that additional overhead won't get you the results you need in the frametime required.
    https://developer.nvidia.com/using-ai-slide

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/microsoft-windows-machine-learning-gaming,news-58087.html