I'm learnding matrix math

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
The most ironic thing is that I've been using matrix math(multiplication, addition, subtraction, etc... of matrices) throughout my lifetime of programming(remembers the days of QBASIC and simple games) and I didn't even know it was called matrix math.

Isn't it funny when you learn something you already knew?

The only thing that came from this "learning" is a name to call my set of operations which was invented by someone else.

:LOL:

I haven't been using it for many years, but had to re-learn it since I started seriously working with Matlab/Simulink a few months ago...

K.I.L.E.R said:
The most ironic thing is that I've been using matrix math(multiplication, addition, subtraction, etc... of matrices) throughout my lifetime of programming(remembers the days of QBASIC and simple games) and I didn't even know it was called matrix math.

The only thing that came from this "learning" is a name to call my set of operations which was invented by someone else.

Well, considering matrix math is much more than just multiplcation/addition/subtraction of matrices, I believe you'll learn more than just names :)

_xxx_ said:
I haven't been using it for many years, but had to re-learn it since I started seriously working with Matlab/Simulink a few months ago...

Argggghh, Matlab. It haunts my dreams.

MuFu said:
_xxx_ said:

Argggghh, Matlab. It haunts my dreams.

If you ever worked with Statemate/Rhapsody, you rather tend to LOVE Simulink in comparison. Statemate is such a pita!

Already done lots of it, like I said, I've been working with this stuff for a while.

I've tended to use matrices in applications such as filters and highlighting patterns.

pcchen said:
K.I.L.E.R said:

Well, considering matrix math is much more than just multiplcation/addition/subtraction of matrices, I believe you'll learn more than just names :)

Since we've had the aluminium thread....
K.I.L.E.R said:
The most ironic thing is that I've been using matrix math:
You're in Australia, ergo you are "learning matrix maths" :)

Anyway, addition, subtraction etc etc, is only scratching the surface.

Hey Killer,

You should try to get the inverse of the Jacobian of the Denavit-Hartenberg model of a bot in realtime, and then you can say you are starting to use a matrix math.

pascal said:
Hey Killer,

You should try to get the inverse of the Jacobian of the Denavit-Hartenberg model of a bot in realtime, and then you can say you are starting to use a matrix math.

Can you tell me of similar applications that are that advanced using matrices?
I've coded so much trash, I may have used the same concepts in a project of mine somewhere.

I am not the best person to answer that, but probably all kinematics (direct and inverse) for CG or robots, use matrix math.

for linear algebra a good introdutory book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._1_3/103-0091327-9273463?v=glance&s=books

Some people like this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._1_4/103-0091327-9273463?v=glance&s=books

For matrix computations a good book is: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...327-9273463?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Now you have to find the book with the applications of your interrest (CG, robotics, physics, etc..)

representation3 said:
Isn't this called Linear Algerbra?
here, linear algebra is the harder version of matrix (matrix is basically for CS, linear is for math majors). which means I am not touching linear with a ten-foot pole. :)

The Baron said:
representation3 said:
Isn't this called Linear Algerbra?
here, linear algebra is the harder version of matrix (matrix is basically for CS, linear is for math majors). which means I am not touching linear with a ten-foot pole. :)

Well, I now really wish I'd paid more attention to (and remembered more of) the Lin' Alg' course I did at Uni.

drspangle said:
Gaussian elemination is fun. I just wish I could remember how to do it :oops:
That was taught in high school, and I'd say it's more "tedious" than "fun".

Back