I'm going to build a PC, and I'd like some advice.

I.S.T.

Veteran
I'm going to be building a PC sometime in the next 3-4 months, and it's been a long time since I've kept track of stuff other than graphics cards and CPUs. I've got a budget of about 500-700, and I've already decided on the CPU and motherboard.

Little bit pricey for the amount of money I have to spend, but I want to build something semi-current. This way, if something has to be replaced, I won't have to hunt around for it. I believe those two components will go down in price a little bit in the time between now and when I get a hold of the cash, so I'm not too worried.

I'm going to be getting a graphics card(I've had too many bad experiences with intergrated graphics...) and two gigs of ram. The rest of the system is up in the air. Can anybody give me suggestions as to what to purchase?

Edit: Dammit, I didn't notice the purchase decisions help forum... Sorry. Could somebody move this?

Last edited by a moderator:
what are you going to using the system for ?

Basically, a little of everything. A little PC gaming(Mostly stuff from 2003 and earlier), some movie playback(DVDs, xivd, stuff like that), emulation. I'm going to put Vista Premium on it as well.

Do yourself a favor and skip the horror that is Fister, I mean, Vista. Why do you need it anyway? It's not like your 5+ year-old games will run any better, and very likely they won't run at all. Everything else you're planning to do will run fine on an XP system as well. Realistically, you're talking about building a $500 system.

There are those who vehemently disagree with me on this (but I'm now on his ignore list so he won't see this) but I agree with Shaidar completely. XPP is a better option, especially for "mid range" hardware.

I would, but I plan on using this PC for the next four or so years. Plus, a lot of the applications(Emulators and stuff) I use tend to be based off of the semi-current DX version. Once vista gets enough usage, they'll start using DX10, and I'll be screwed.

First off, I highly doubt there's an emulator out there that is currently using DX10, or one that will be coming out that will only run under DX10. DX9C is still going to be "the standard" for some time.

How would you be screwed if you go with XP now? If you find a compelling reason to go with Vista, do it then. You can dual-boot that way. There is no reason to do so now.

I think you're going to be hard pressed to build a $500 system that will run Vista with all the bells and whistles at a good clip. I just configured a laptop for a service guy I hired. It's a lenova with 2 gigs of RAM and a Core2Duo 1.5 GHz (low power model) and it - to me at least - crawls. He's fine with it though, which is good. I get impatient with slow computers - been spoiled by running Linux as my primary client OS for a while now I guess. I set up an iMac (xmas gift for my kids) and it flew compared to that Vista box and OS X is a known pig. (but the iMac with tri-boot :) )

If you're dropping back to dual-core Pentium, why not consider a x2 AMD chip?
Actually I have a x2 4400+/DFI combo collecting dust (as well as an X1800XT GPU and 2 gigs of memory)...I was going to build the kid's rig with it and forgot I had it. Not a sales pitch, but PM if you're interested.

suggestion: a huge hdd some games are taking up 8+ gig of space
and if you want to play dx10 games the need a fast gfx card 8800 series or ati equiv anything less isnt really up to the job

If you're dropping back to dual-core Pentium, why not consider a x2 AMD chip?
Actually I have a x2 4400+/DFI combo collecting dust (as well as an X1800XT GPU and 2 gigs of memory)...I was going to build the kid's rig with it and forgot I had it. Not a sales pitch, but PM if you're interested.

Well, I plan on OCing the **** of it(Looked up some reviews, the damn thing is an OCers dream.).

The system I'm currently runs ME, so pretty much anything will be a huge increase. The last one(Which died otherwise I would be using it right now.) was a Northwood Celeron with only 256 megs of ram... *Shudder.* Both were/are prebuilts.

If you still got those parts when I got the money, I'll PM ya.

First off, I highly doubt there's an emulator out there that is currently using DX10, or one that will be coming out that will only run under DX10. DX9C is still going to be "the standard" for some time.

I'm thinking of three years from now. By then, DX10 will be standard, and I have no idea what my financial situation will be, so I dunno if I'll be able to afford a copy of Vista then. I know I'll be able to when I get the money for the PC.

I fact I think with your budget you can also consider getting a built one, you can go to dell they offer some good priced desktops, and right now pcs are not expensive a recent deal on the Lenovo 3000 Intel Pentium D 925(3.0GHz, Dual Core), 1GB, 250GB is for $400. Anyway hope this helps.

As cheap as Dell computers are these days, I don't think you can get one from Dell that is going to be cheaper than one you could put together yourself.

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black PATA Model SH-S202N - OEM
Item #: N82E16827151155
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $29.99

Linkworld 431-06 C.2222 Black SECC/SGCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16811164061
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $44.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136113
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $14.992 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $19.99 $64.99

DIAMOND 3850PE3256SB Radeon HD 3850 RV650 55nm 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814103049
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $29.991 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Extended Plan -- $39.992 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.992 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Extended Plan -- $49.993 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Extended Plan -- $59.99 $169.99

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231098
Return Policy: Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy
Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $14.992 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $19.99 -$40.00 Instant
$86.99
$46.99

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813128059
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $14.992 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $19.99 $96.99

Intel Pentium E2140 Allendale 1.6GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E2140 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819116037
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy
Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $14.992 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $19.99 $69.99

Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Basic for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116196
Return Policy: Software Return Policy

Comes out nicely to $618, but that is without a keyboard, mouse or monitor. This should be able to play anything up to and including Crysis at reasonable settings, however.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have many of those components on my list as well(Got a slightly different model CD burner and the OEM 320 gig WD.). I'm staying with nVidia due to some of the driver problems AMD's been having and (More importantly) a fondness for Rivatuner. I looked around and couldn't find an AMD tool that has the kind of customization that Rivatuner has, even Tray Tools(Unless the info I found on it is incorrect.).

All that might change though. Won't have the money for the PC until March. I'm keeping a close eye on things until then. Maybe I'll get lucky and Intel will release a Wolfdale based Dual-Core Pentium. :LOL:

This is the system: http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=9606247

I plan on buying the PSU from another site that has it 15 bucks cheaper(Yet is still reputable), along with a few other little things on this list that are cheaper/same price.

I'm not getting a case because I already have a decent one available. :D

Any desktop display adapter based on NVIDIA NV4, NV5, NV10, NV11, NV15, NV17, NV18, NV20, NV25, NV28, NV30, NV31, NV34, NV35, NV36, NV38, NV40, NV41, NV44, NV44A, NV48, G70, G71, G72, G73, G80, G84, G86 or G92 GPU or ATI R200, RV250, RV280, R300, RV350, R350, RV360, R360, RV370, RV380, R420, RV410, R423, R430, R480, RV515, R520, RV530, RV560, RV570, R580, R580+, R600, RV610, RV630 or RV670 VPU based display adapter.

Rivatuner

Pretty sure ATI stuff works with Rivatuner.

I'd HIGHLY recommend going up to the HD 3850 on your graphics card. The 8600 is simply NOT ENOUGH for any modern system in graphical power. For only like $30 more you're talking SO much more graphics power its not funny.

I would personally recommend 2 gigs of ram over 4 right now. That should be more than enough for something that should last 3-4 years, and any further than that and you can probably add in 8 gig sticks for cheap.

Also, I would recommend going with the mobo I recommended. Its only about $25 more expensive than the one you have, and it has twice the memory slots, twice the maximum memory capacity and is a proven overclocker. I just feel that the one you have right now is only suitable for current needs and will soon become outdated.

If you replaced the motherboard and stuck to two gigs of ram, I feel that this could make for a nice, cheap upgrade in 1-2 years time to a 45nm quad+ core and 8gigs of ram, which would give you some more time with a truly high end machine.

I would personally recommend 2 gigs of ram over 4 right now. That should be more than enough for something that should last 3-4 years, and any further than that and you can probably add in 8 gig sticks for cheap.

Also, I would recommend going with the mobo I recommended. Its only about $25 more expensive than the one you have, and it has twice the memory slots, twice the maximum memory capacity and is a proven overclocker. I just feel that the one you have right now is only suitable for current needs and will soon become outdated.

If you replaced the motherboard and stuck to two gigs of ram, I feel that this could make for a nice, cheap upgrade in 1-2 years time to a 45nm quad+ core and 8gigs of ram, which would give you some more time with a truly high end machine.

I'm not gonna have that money a year or two from now, sadly. This is kind of a one time deal... Normally we wouldn't spend over 450 bucks(And that's seriously pushing it) on a PC. As for the motherboard, I've looked it up(Found it in a review, actually, otherwise i'd be using a different model), and it is a good OC. It also supports the 45 nm processors according to Gigabyte's website. :D

My monitor is limited to 1024 X 768 in res without going below 75hz(I can do 1280 X 1024 if I go 60 hz... no fucking way am I doing that!), so I'll be playing on low reses. I'm also not too much of a PC gamer, so no Crysis or anything like that. The video card is mainly for Dreamcast emulation... :whateverthehelltheembarrasementsmileis: I might try out stuff like COD4 at 640X480 or things like that. I'm all for lowering the res to keep the details high if i have to.

Also, while Rivatuner does support many recent AMD/ATi cards, it doesn't support the driver tuning options. At least, the last version I tried(2.0 final release). I'm also concerned about the rate at which AMD drivers are declining... Though, if things improve over the next few months I will take another good, hard look at them in general.

Overall, while I believe I'll be keeping most of the choices I've made, the final decisions won't be until I have the cash in hand, so to speak. The price I have for everything right now is almost 700 bucks including shipping, and I highly doubt I'll be able to get that past my parents(It's a family PC and not my money. >.>). I'm already pushing it, and I will most likely have to reduce the specs on the machine to get them to OK the purchase.

It's not a matter of them being cheap. The money we're getting is needed for a lot of things, the PC being just one of them.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention. By the time I get the cash(Mid March at the soonest, some time in April at the latest), a lot of the high end/middle end stuff out now will have been replaced by new models... I am planning on taking advantage of that. If I can get better components for the same or slightly higher price, I will be doing so.

Back