Ikusagami Screenshots

Slay said:
IMO this look fabulus, ohhh and it's for the PS2
ikusa07.jpg
ikusa06.jpg
ikusa05.jpg

there are some more screens here http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050819/ikusa.htm
Are u sure that this game work on a simple PS2? This is one of the best graphics that I have ever seen on that one, I hope that it's not a fake.

Bear in mind these are typical promotional shots with sooper-dooper 64xAA. Lose the AA like the real game and they won't look anywhere near as nice.

Shifty Geezer said:
Bear in mind these are typical promotional shots with sooper-dooper 64xAA. Lose the AA like the real game and they won't look anywhere near as nice.

Should look about the same on a properly calibrated CRT TV.

When they release video footage, the game should actually look better on your TV.
This is why I always laugh at people that try to compare Forza with GT4 by showing 640x480 30FPS video footage. That works fine for Forza, but GT4 run at 60FPS in 1080i (640x540 with alternating fields each frame to give you the full 1080i @ 30Htz {640x1080})

To get back on topic again:

You can see the palettized texutres being used, especially in the distance, you also have many objects that look the same or share vertices.

This is classic PS2 programming 101.
PowerofPS2

The game looks impressive and ugly at the same time.
I am repulsed, yet I cannot look away.

Huh? said:
Where do you get that conclusion?

Huge pixel fillrates are needed to handle scenes with severe depth complexities.
Pixels = Subdivided Polygons, which is what PS2 does, high small polygon fillrate.

My conclusions come from:
N64 and Polygons
PowerofPS2
7.5M Poly Figure

Overdraw is not the same as number of objects on screen. Regardless hidden surface removal algorithms can dramatically lesson the burden of high overdraw scenes. Both Xbox and GCN can render this game with no problems at all...

Huh? said:
Should look about the same on a properly calibrated CRT TV.

When they release video footage, the game should actually look better on your TV.
This is why I always laugh at people that try to compare Forza with GT4 by showing 640x480 30FPS video footage. That works fine for Forza, but GT4 run at 60FPS in 1080i (640x540 with alternating fields each frame to give you the full 1080i @ 30Htz {640x1080})

What the heck are you smokin? Shifty is correct.

I have a 46" CRT...games always look much worse on screen than they do in advertisements, in the ads there are no jaggies, it looks great, fire up the game and it's freakin JAGGY CITY.

only games that are true 720p avoid jaggies, like the Incredible Hulk and MVP Baseball, there's the odd exception like SPlinter Cell: CT, but for the most part every single game has very bad jaggies when played on a hi-def display.

If the artwork doesn't attempt to lessen the effect, the jaggies can be serious no matter the screen size. FFX had huge enormous steps on the side's of characters faces even on my 14" Trinitron. I expect Ikusagami in game to have lots of ripple and shimmer breaking up that nice (or at least, expansive!) imagery.

Overdraw is not the same as number of objects on screen. Regardless hidden surface removal algorithms can dramatically lesson the burden of high overdraw scenes.
There are no hidden surface removal algorithms anywhere in the universe of engines made for hardware rasterizers that I would even consider halfway decent. It's an NP problem, after all. Even otherwise, the real validity of your earlier point is that in an instance like that, fillrate isn't the problem so much as transforming so many vertices. Since all those characters are probably 100% opaque geometry, doing a very rough near->far depth sorting (say an ordering hash table like the old PS1 days) would be good enough to have the Z-tests cull out a hell of a lot of fillrate.

scooby_dooby said:
that;s why it's an exception ;)

despite the low resolution it has virtually no jaggies, but this is not the norm.

The way you wrote it makes it seem like you were calling it a 720p game that didn't avoid jaggies. :p

PC-Engine said:
Overdraw is not the same as number of objects on screen. Regardless hidden surface removal algorithms can dramatically lesson the burden of high overdraw scenes.

But overdraw is impacted by the # of objects on the screen and not necessarily to a small degree. The more objects, the greater the OD usually.

And HSR algorithms don't deal well with many dynamic objects. Ever played around with DPVS? We've used it a few times and it's ok but not a panacea.

PC-Engine said:
Both Xbox and GCN can render this game with no problems at all...

Personally I wouldn't see why not but it's hard to tell exactly how that game is performing by just screen shots.

fillrate isn't the problem so much as transforming so many vertices.

Which is something else PS2 does better than the other consoles according to Rob Cohen of Edge of Reality (SpiderMan N64). http://cube.ign.com/articles/087/087679p1.html

"The PS2's major strengths are stunning fill-rate, and fully programmable geometry engines (VUs). The fill-rate means that effects can be layered way much, much more than any other console. The fully programmable geometry engine means that the PS2 has the highest level of flexibility for manipulating polygons." -Rob Cohen-

scooby_dooby said:
What the heck are you smokin? Shifty is correct.

I have a 46" CRT...games always look much worse on screen than they do in advertisements.

I wasn't reffering to ads, I was reffering to screen captures which almost always look worse than the actual game due to the capturing equipment not being a heavily calibrated CRT TV.

Huh? said:
I wasn't reffering to ads, I was reffering to screen captures which almost always look worse than the actual game due to the capturing equipment not being a heavily calibrated CRT TV.

These screenshots are from devkits, not capture cards.

46" CRT? Who makes a CRT that large? Do you mean CRT RP? If so, that might be why your games don't look that good (not that I wouldn't expect images blown up/stretched across a TV screen to look worse than web images with free AA from shrinking screen captures).

PCEngine said:
Fillrate has very little to do with how many characters you can display onscreen.
Well yeah, when you go into massive numbers of objects like this, it becomes CPU limitation all the way.
The little ol' SH4 would be stretched hard to process just the non-graphics load in a situation like this - without having to transform any polygons.

Huh? said:
Which is something else PS2 does better than the other consoles according to Rob Cohen of Edge of Reality (SpiderMan N64). http://cube.ign.com/articles/087/087679p1.html

"The PS2's major strengths are stunning fill-rate, and fully programmable geometry engines (VUs). The fill-rate means that effects can be layered way much, much more than any other console. The fully programmable geometry engine means that the PS2 has the highest level of flexibility for manipulating polygons." -Rob Cohen-

Both GCN and Xbox can multitexture in a single pass...not so with PS2.;)

Fafalada said:
Well yeah, when you go into massive numbers of objects like this, it becomes CPU limitation all the way.
The little ol' SH4 would be stretched hard to process just the non-graphics load in a situation like this - without having to transform any polygons.

Depends on how smart each object is. I doubt the AI in this game is anything to write home about. It's not like it's running Massive. Regardless not really sure what DC which had way older and cheaper technology has to do with this.

Back