I need a detailed description on how to use a crossover cable!!!

Hi, I need a step by step on how to use a cross over cable. I'm connecting a laptop to a desktop and i have already connected the cable to both but it won't allow me in to either. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:oops:

You need to set IPs to same network and set both PCs to use the same workgroup, also enable file sharing & share some folders.

i've done that, i have my tcp/ip set to 198.162.0.1 on computer one, and on computer 2 my
tcp/ip set to 198.162.0.2 with the same submask 255.255.255.0 both the connetion icons show that there connected, im just wondering how do i transfer files now, is there software i need to install, thank you in advance for any help you can provide

The simplest way to share files is to just create a dedicated shared folder on both PC's. Create a folder anywhere you want (C:/Share is what I use). Right click the new folder, and hit 'Sharing and Security', on the new screen, tick the box labeled "Share this Folder on the Network", then tick "Allow Network users to Change my Files" (also say yes to anything that might pop up wanting you to confirm the sharing).

One you've done that, hit OK and you should now have your share. On the other system, you can either look in My Network Places and hope it automatically shows up (sometimes refuses to happen), or manually browse to it by typing in '\\pcname\Share' (pcname = name of the system the share folder is on), if everything is dandy, you should open straight to that share folder.

You can also Map a connection to the Shared folder through My Computer in the Tools menu, if you really want (shows the share as a Drive in My Computer).

Probably not the best guide, but good luck!

thank you

thank you for your help, i got one computer that connect to the other computer now, but not the other way around, but now im far enough along that i can just tweak and play with it till i get things working perfect, luckly i don't need the other computer to send anything, anyways thanks again guys, take it easy

If one is XP & the other is an earlier version of Windows (other than 2k?), you will get that asymetry where XP can see the other but not vice versa.

no, when it doesn't work it's for a random reason or no reason at all :p
I had windows 3.11, 98 and XP on the same network, windows shares seem to be compatible.

under XP, get sure to disable simple sharing (well, it's an usual advice) and have the "guest" user enabled. also I now set my shares with Computer Management (compmgmt.msc), I like it better that way (if you go there, don't worry about shares ending with $, do as if they didn't exist). (computer management is only another UI for the same feature)

I agree regarding simple file sharing, but not with enabling guest accounts. You may as well leave simple file sharing active. The admin tools are certainly useful, but in WinXP can lead to quirks when options in User Accounts are countermanded by Local Users & Groups settings. It's also possible to disable the admin auto shares via the registry.

To the OP, you don't actually need a specific x-over cable if both NICs are GbE as they are auto MDI-MDIX capable. If both PCs have default network installs, all you need to do is connect them. WinXP DHCP will auto-configure their respective IPs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be safer to configure an FTP server on one or both machines (say, with GuildFTP)? I'm thinking in case he forgot to disable file sharing, but I forget how much of a security problem that presents.

Pete said:
Would it be safer to configure an FTP server on one or both machines (say, with GuildFTP)? I'm thinking in case he forgot to disable file sharing, but I forget how much of a security problem that presents.

Security, vs. walking over to the other computer and getting access to it?
:D

Back