I just got a bit of a surprise, a Radeon Pro Duo!

Another copy/pasta from Facebook about my Duo, yesterday sucked and today hasn't gotten off to a much better start. :(

AIEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Ok, first thank the gods it's Friday the 13th...I need a change of luck and it's always been a good day to me.

Yesterday was not...
1f641.png
:(

I'll forgo all the simple early morning errands that turned in to problems that ran in to the afternoon, because after that Bubbles died. For reals, and it sucked/scared me. I used to get in a bit of a state when my computer was down, I've got it down now to totally internalizing all my panic attacks about it and can manage to struggle through with just the air of light anxiety. It makes it easier on the family, but everyone knows what's going on in my head anyways and they're very kind about it.

It was a no signal to monitor situation. Bubbles would post and boot fine I could tell from the beep and the windows start up sound/keyboard blinking on/off etc...but no signal to monitor. Just that stupid f-ing orange light where a blue one should be.

Did what anyone would do, changed my display port cable to make sure that wasn't the cause. Then tried the HDMI port on the card with a DVI adapter, no HDMI input on my monitor as it's a bit older. (Yeah, I thought of that a few minutes later too and tried a different monitor on the various cables..nothing) So it wasn't the cables nor the monitor.

No! NOT FAIR! CAN NOT BE!!

So I swapped out my shiny new Radeon Pro Duo for an old 6950 I had laying around that I couldn't remember if it worked or not..but in a cubby on my desk within reach so I threw it in.

And got a picture, I could see it boot fine. I almost wept, and not from happies.
1f641.png
:(

I had trouble installing the driver through AMD's installer, I got clever and forced the driver update through device manager and was rewarded with a very soft "pop" and the PC shutting down. Like an idiot I turned her on again and as soon as windows started loading there was a loud "CRACKLE-CRACKLE FZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!" and blue/orange flames spitting from the 6950 and I don't know if I shut the PSU down first or it turned itself off, but the nasty smell of fried electronics filled the air and I admit to feeling just a tiny touch of despair. :|

So I went down in the basement and got out old reliable, my original 5870. The card served me long and well as a gamer, and it's got more sentimental value to me I think than any other card next to my R300. (Unfortunately the R300's vram gave out long ago, she's died her final death. I still keep the card out of respect and love) I put the 5870 in the other PCIe slot than my asploded 6950, said a brief but heartfelt prayer to the computer gods and my guardian angels, and fired her up....and she booted. Installed the drivers (15.7s, so I'm back to the good old CCC! I missed the advanced viddy controls) and it didn't explode or nothing!

Bubbles lives to soldier on another day, she's always been and hopefully will always be a fighter...plus she's got an insane system administrator who will never give up on her.

I don't think the Radeon Pro Duo is bad, I think my motherboard is dying. I've seen this before with this chipset, it happens often with my wife's rig. Can't decide if I want to test out the Duo on my son's newly upgraded rig and if it works on his PC try the 295x2 on mine and it might just work, or give in and finally give Bubbles her long overdue upgrade. (She's running a phenom II 965)

Anyone from AMD wanna send me a PM and tell me that if I just hold out a few more weeks Ryzen will be here? I could REALLY use to hear it right now as this is the crappiest time ever to upgrade.
1f641.png

Just for point of information, I found another 5870 and tried mounting it in crossfire yesterday..but either the other 5870 or the PCIe port the 6950 died in is fried. At this point I'm starting to not care. :(

It's sooo overdue for an upgrade, yet I'm soooo close!

Sad news, it's the Radeon Pro Duo that's dead. Just tested it in my son's rig and it did the exact same thing it did in mine, got a long beep with a couple of short ones then the computer booted fine but with absolutely no signal to the monitor. :(

Seriously bummed. Was hoping I could upgrade mobo/cpu and use the card, but it's pretty much just a paper weight now.

Running on an nVidia 9800GT, basically an 8800 w/1GB of memory. It sucks, and I ain't gonna be upgrading any time soon.

Ever get the feeling that life is trying to make you give up gaming? :|

Sad news Digi :(
Do you know the reason it died? Power cut or maybe your PSU not coping?
I know this card was a surprise gift from someone nice at AMD, but might be they can repair it for you?

BTW I don't know if Radeon Duo has dual BIOS, but in case it has, try switching to the other BIOS.

Sad news Digi :(
Do you know the reason it died? Power cut or maybe your PSU not coping?
I know this card was a surprise gift from someone nice at AMD, but might be they can repair it for you?

BTW I don't know if Radeon Duo has dual BIOS, but in case it has, try switching to the other BIOS.
I did try the BIOS switch, it did no good. :(

I think the basic problem was that this was one of the first ones, and it went through many reviewers hands before it arrived at my door step. Many of those reviewers probably took it apart and put it back together, pretty much guarantee all of them ran it just as hard and as high as it could go just to see what the limits were.

I got a Corsair 850w with solid rails so I don't think that's it, and my son's got a new 1300w PSU that's pretty insane and it still did the same thing.

No clue about repair, I'm just sort of dooming right now and don't plan on even trying for a while. My wife got pissed at me over some tolls I had told her about so she went off on me on facebook and told me that she hoped I enjoyed my birthday present, so I'm pretty sure the birthday upgrade is off.

My life is not very pleasant right now. My wife and me haven't spoken much since her post about me on facebook, and I'm wavering between totally bummed about it to totally enraged...but I can't go off on my wife, I know better. I'd regret the hell out of it like she is now. She just sucks at communicating so this wonderful silence will probably last until my birthday on April 6th, it's the gift that keeps on giving. :(

Would you believe that some kind soul here on the forums contacted me and offered me a 290X? I still can't and it's in Bubbles now and I just got done re-installing and benching GTA V and I CAN GAME AGAIN BABY!!!!! :D

Feels fantastic, thank you so much! This makes the wife's silence treatment so much easier to bear you wouldn't believe, thank you!

Your kindness is appreciated, but I got my GPU needs well covered for now...this card ROCKS!

A Gigabyte R9 290X GDDR5-4GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC Graphics Card. Not just a 290X, but a really nice 290X!

It feels as good as the R9 295x2 or the Radeon Pro Duo did too, I'm too CPU limited to push any of these cards to their limits and I only game at 1080 so I'm back in gaming heaven for a bit. :D

We have equal GPU's now! I rock R9 290X Trixx from Sapphire! Still going strong enough to tie me over till VEGA!
Have a great weekend in gaming heaven Digi!

This makes me think that perhaps we ought to have some kind of GPU giveaway thread. I bet lots of people here have pretty decent but not brand new GPUs that they're not using and that they don't feel like selling, for whatever reason.

More importantly, I hope things get better with your wife soon. It sure is a lot more important than gaming—I hope the gods of gaming don't smite me for saying so, but it's true.

Don't fret, we talked it out a few days ago. She couldn't take the silence and tension, so we talked it out and she apologized and now we're trying to get past it. I think she's worried I'll hold a grudge, which I sort of do but I'm trying not to so it's getting better. We've both been a lot more relaxed the past couple days and I've given myself yesterday and today off just to de-stress now that I can. Feels real good, thanks for asking..and it is more important than gaming, gaming just lets me forget about it for a bit. ;)

I'd almost recommend a request and give-away forum, some people don't want to have others know they give away stuff so they don't get bothered all the time. One of the reasons I try never to mention who was kind to me unless they want to, in which case that's cool too. :)

Also, the difference between a Phenom II 965 w32GBDDR3 with a 1GB 9800 GT and a 4GB 290X is just bloody night and day! Not just gaming, but everyday use everything is crisper and responsivier. But gaming, OMG! I could barely run Dirt 2 decently with a lot of lowered settings, now I'm finally giving Just Cause 3/Mafia 3 a try and they both ain't running bad! :D

A good video card can REALLY make all the difference, can't wait to do a CPU/mobo/memory upgrade and see what else I've been missing. :)

Oh! I can try Watch Dogs 2 now too! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :D

I told my wife about the card just now, she almost busted a gut laughing when I told her how hard it was to not seem happy that day. :)

Sat my gf upset me so I did the stern joe voice as she calls it. She lasted all of 10 minutes before it drove her nuts and she was apologizing. I told her I go through days of her doing the stern upset talk to me.

I don't do stern often, I can do a decent drill sergeant but it tends to frighten people. No, when I get mad at Chris I shut down. I only instigate conversation if necessary and when responding do so as succinctly as possible with absolutely no emotion in my voice, and slightly softer than usual and I don't make eye contact....drives her absolutely bonkers and lets everyone know how far over the line my anger is.

I don't like losing control of my temper, regret doing it too much in my life, so I switched over to the shut down /withdraw mode until I can get my head straight. Helps a lot in not making things worse I've found.

Back